PDA

View Full Version : Question about new tires

S2K
06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I am picking up some new tires tomorrow from Tire rack, I read something on their website about tire break in. It said there is a "release lubricant" on new tires that could be on the tread and takes 500 miles to wear off. My question is has anyone ever heard of this and if so will it sling? Also I want to put some DP GTG on them and was wondering if the "lubricant" would affect it or should I clean them real good before mounting them? I have never heard of this "lubricant" before and I used to sell a lot of tires.

Dubbin1
06-20-2011, 07:35 PM
I worked at a tire plant for years and my wife works at one now, this is something I have never heard of or seen a problem with.

gewb
06-20-2011, 07:39 PM
"Release lubricant" is also called a mold release agent. These agents are used on almost all molded products including rubber, plastic, aluminum and zinc die casting, etc.

Release agents differ by molding material (see above), molding temperature, mold shape and final use of the molded product. For example, agents used on plastic parts used for medical and food use are different from those used in vacuum cleaner parts.

Usually the release agent does not leave a heavy film on the finished part. However, one should wash molded parts if ingestion, staining or other concerns are present.

I would wash the new tires with APC then dress them with your favorite product (ok after mounting).

Regards,
GEWB

XLNTShine
06-20-2011, 07:41 PM
When I worked for Firestone/Bridgestone we had to watch 5 days of videos about tires, and this was covered in those. It has to do with how the tread is applied to the casing from what I remember. The tread on passenger tires is cured or molded. I think Michelle is the only company that still uses these agents..

kopsis
06-20-2011, 07:43 PM
It's true. The rubber compound will often absorb a bit of the mold release lube. Particularly true for ultra high performance compounds that tend to be more porous. Won't sling ... It's usually imperceptible except for a small effect on handling at the limit. I wouldn't expect it to have any effect on dressings, but haven't actually tested.

S2K
06-20-2011, 07:48 PM
"Release lubricant" is also called a mold release agent. These agents are used on almost all molded products including rubber, plastic, aluminum and zinc die casting, etc.

Release agents differ by molding material (see above), molding temperature, mold shape and final use of the molded product. For example, agents used on plastic parts used for medical and food use are different from those used in vacuum cleaner parts.

Usually the release agent does not leave a heavy film on the finished part. However, one should wash molded parts if ingestion, staining or other concerns are present.

I would wash the new tires with APC then dress them with your favorite product (ok after mounting).

Regards,
GEWB
Tire Rack said it was a release lubricant for the mold, just like you stated, Thanks. I just want to clean before mounting because I already cleaned my wheels and just put a coat of 845 on them and didn't want anything from the tires running all over my wheels.

DHCrocks
06-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't worry it won't sling. Everytime I get new tires I notice how slippery they are, easy to burnout, slide in turns. After about a hundred miles it's back to normal. Take it easy while driving, don't drive aggressive.

fancyfootwork
06-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Interesting. I've never heard of that before. My Continentals didn't have that.