PDA

View Full Version : Which CLAY??

Pages : [1] 2

turbos17
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I know this probably has been answered numerous times...but I am still a nOOb when it comes to detailing...I am still new to it and don’t want any mistakes if possible. However, my questions are as follows-

-What is the best clay?

I have used the Meguiar’s fine clay kits and it works, but it seems like it takes forever because the bar is not hard enough or durable enough. The best and only other I have used is the 3M Clay that is sold on this site. IMO this stuff kicks butt...it is a lot harder and doesn't fall apart or break down as fast.

-Is a harder clay going remove any wax/sealant that is in the car?

-Is it better to get a harder or softer clay?

-What is the best lubricant/QD to use when claying a vehicle?

The reason I am asking is because I just did my neighbor's 350 Z last week as seen on this link and it took forever to clay
I used Meguair’s NXT quick detail as lube and the Meguiar’s Clay kit and I wasn’t satisfied with its power..so I stepped up to my 3M and it was far superior. Should have started with it at the beginning! Thanks for all the info and suggestions for this newbie! Feed back please

Mike T
01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Here's a good starter
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3369&highlight=clay

turbos17
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Here's a good starter
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3369&highlight=clay

Thanks! That answered most of the questions, but what do ALL you think/use?

HAN
01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
megiars NXT quick detail spray might have been the reason for your results. I've found the NXT QD streaks a lot and isn't as easy to work with as soapy wash water or ONR at quick detail strength. To answer your question as far as softer clay - the softer the clay, the less chance of inducing marring to the finish...But if you go too mild, you might not get all the contaminants out as quickly. Another plus to mild clay - it won't strip your LSP nearly as much as a more aggressive clay. So you be the judge based on the vehicle you're doing.

Pete

edit: I use sonus green clay on my personal car (because I keep up with it, there are not that many contaminants in my paint, but for someone elses car thats never been clayed before, I use Clay Magic Blue clay)

belcherm58
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I use the Pinnacle Clay and use Poorboys Spray and Wipe cut 50/50 with water. Works great. I have yet to try the new Pinnacle light duty clay for
frequent use. I would say in the Pinnacle line it would also be a great product.

nick19
01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I have heard very good things with Pinnacle clay. It's a few bucks more, and IMO worth it. If you NEED something, and can't wait for shipping, pick up some Meg's or Clay Magic. Both quality products too.

You also can't go wrong with WG clay. That whole line is an A+! Im the MAN

-Nick
5-Star Auto Detailing

ScottB
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I use the Wolfgang Clay once every six months, and use the Pinnacle Ultra Clay every other month. Clays are very similar, they come in only one or two different versions. Use lots of good soap or better a clay lube like DP's.

nick19
01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Scott, do you wax or add a sealant after claying?

-Nick :cheers:
5-Star Auto Detailing

ScottB
01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Scott, do you wax or add a sealant after claying?

-Nick :cheers:
5-Star Auto Detailing

yep ... very easy and quick and with Florida UV index, I figure its worth the time.

turbos17
01-17-2007, 09:46 PM
So you guys use soapy water or DP's line of QD? What is better? Where do you guys get Clay Magic? I have good things about it, but can't find it anywhere. And what is a good QD'er to use that isn't too expensive to use when claying a car? I am a poor college student trying to cutt cost when I am doing this on the side!!!

ltoman
01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I have heard very good things with Pinnacle clay. It's a few bucks more, and IMO worth it. If you NEED something, and can't wait for shipping, pick up some Meg's or Clay Magic. Both quality products too.

-Nick
5-Star Auto Detailing

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :cool: :iagree: :righton:

he is 100% right. i do the same!

Nuke33
01-17-2007, 10:16 PM
I had good luck with Meg Smooth Surface Kit, Even though its the only one I have used hehe

ltoman
01-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I had good luck with Meg Smooth Surface Kit, Even though its the only one I have used hehe

yah I have heard a lot of good about that too

JSR
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I use the DP 4n1 cut to thier recommended clay lube dillution (something like 16:1). Works great and at that rate a 32 oz bottle will last forever. And your not worried about how fast you use it so you should always have a lot on the car. Don't be stingy

Jdm
01-18-2007, 12:52 AM
I use Clay Magic all the time. Never ever had a problem with it, even though auto majic isent exactly boutique products, the clay magic paired up with the #49 body shine works greeeeat. Although I have yet to try the medium grade, just the fine.