PDA

View Full Version : Questions about mobile detailing...

Kristopher1129
06-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Well, as a lot of you probably already know. I recently added my mobile unit to the mix. I just have a few questions, or more so seeking some insight on how you guys handle certain situations.

1. Are there particular steps you take when polishing, glazing, or anything of the sort on hot panels exposed to the sun?

2. Do you contact property owners when you visit business locations?

3. How many vehicles do you typically do in a day? Assuming you are doing a full in and out, with a 1 step exterior.

4. How much more do you charge to go mobile? I've been charging $35 within a 5 mile radius, and $50+ for any further.

These are just small things that I would like to hear some input on. Thanks guys, you've all been more than helpful on this journey to add mobile work. :dblthumb2:

V3AutoDetailing
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
I can only help with number 1. I have had a car that was in the sun, no shade around. Filled a squirt bottle with hose water. Take squirt bottle and spray the panel, area your working on untill the cool water cools off that section.

Proceed to polish that area, then repeat.

Bates Detailing
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Well, as a lot of you probably already know. I recently added my mobile unit to the mix. I just have a few questions, or more so seeking some insight on how you guys handle certain situations.

1. Are there particular steps you take when polishing, glazing, or anything of the sort on hot panels exposed to the sun?

3. How many vehicles do you typically do in a day? Assuming you are doing a full in and out, with a 1 step exterior.

4. How much more do you charge to go mobile? I've been charging $35 within a 5 mile radius, and $50+ for any further.

These are just small things that I would like to hear some input on. Thanks guys, you've all been more than helpful on this journey to add mobile work. :dblthumb2:

1. Move to shade, or work very small areas

2. No - only the businesses within the business location

3. Unpredictable - anywhere from 3 to 13 cars a day....... or 2 cars and 2 buses...... or 1 car - 1 bus - 1 RV...... or no cars - 1 aircraft - 1 RV.... etc. VERY Unpredictable!

4. My lowest charge without being a regular is 35 bucks....... highest auto being 275 - but then again Im in tn..... a bit less expensive than the north.

Get regular clients such as companies - you seem to have the regular personal vehicles for your shop - add companies and you will do great :dblthumb2:

Kristopher1129
06-19-2011, 11:05 PM
1. Move to shade, or work very small areas

2. No - only the businesses within the business location

3. Unpredictable - anywhere from 3 to 13 cars a day....... or 2 cars and 2 buses...... or 1 car - 1 bus - 1 RV...... or no cars - 1 aircraft - 1 RV.... etc. VERY Unpredictable!

4. My lowest charge without being a regular is 35 bucks....... most being 275 - but then again Im in tn..... a bit less expensive than the north.

Get regular clients such as companies - you seem to have the regular personal vehicles for your shop - add companies and you will do great :dblthumb2:

for #4. I meant what I charge for the mobile service alone. It's more of a convenience fee for using the mobile service instead of my shop. So if someone get's a silver package on a sedan...for me, it's $165+$35 within a 5 mile radius. Making it $200 even.

I understand that if your strictly mobile...then this add on fee is kinda pointless. But for me, there has to be an add on charge, otherwise nobody would come to my shop, haha.

For #1...you nailed it on the head when you said work smaller sections. That's what I've been doing. Is there any products out there that are made for working in the sun??

Bates Detailing
06-19-2011, 11:14 PM
for #4. I meant what I charge for the mobile service alone. It's more of a convenience fee for using the mobile service instead of my shop. So if someone get's a silver package on a sedan...for me, it's $165+$35 within a 5 mile radius. Making it $200 even.

I understand that if your strictly mobile...then this add on fee is kinda pointless. But for me, there has to be an add on charge, otherwise nobody would come to my shop, haha.

For #1...you nailed it on the head when you said work smaller sections. That's what I've been doing. Is there any products out there that are made for working in the sun??

I would say you should charge gas (maybe 5 bucks) + maybe 10% (16.50) or else that may be somewhat extreme. To expand more rapidly - I think this would be a good deal. Charging too much wont expand your mobile service much at all IMO. Keeping the price lower can and will increase revenue quite a bit I think :props:

Bates Detailing
06-19-2011, 11:40 PM
BUMP - for Kris - sure he doesnt want one opinion.... my first bump by the way lol

Rav777
06-20-2011, 12:02 AM

I will try to help as much as I can

1) I invested in a tent with side curtains. The panels stay warm but it beats being hit directly by the sun. If the truck is too big to fit in sections I just do one panel at a time.

2.) I never had to contact property owners. Usually the customer I’m detailing for is from the higher ups such as manager so I never have a problem. Get to know the manager really well and he will give you permission to detail his employees’ cars or help you get the word out of your business. Maybe the owner will let you leave fliers or business cards by the entrance desk?

3.) It all depends on the weather condition. There are many variables. Sometimes you clean a customer’s car so well that he/or she decides to wait another week for a maintenance wash, lol whoops.

4.) Since I am strictly mobile I charge the fees within the price. In your condition is different since you have a shop. However, if a customer lives far away and only wants a basic wash I will add a fee, but I usually up sell them so they go for a wax or higher package.

Kristopher1129
06-20-2011, 11:44 AM
So I guess I'm on track then, ha. I bought a pop up shelter...but like you said, it doesn't fit anything but cars under it. So it's kind of pointless outside of detailing a car. I ended up working in sections, and it worked out fine. Definitely going to stay away from any compounding in the sun like that though. That's why I got a shop. Much easier in the shop.

mcpp66
06-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Poorboy's products state that they can be used in the sun or shade.

gumbedamit
06-20-2011, 03:06 PM

I don't go out for less than $150 for a detail, when I do washing, its a whole day thing.

I use 2 9X9 tents, very cheap at Walmart

If I'm doing one or 2 jobs at a business park, I ask the owner of the car to let them know that I will be there. I try to contact someone that works at the business to get me a lead in with HR. Then I make a deal with them to give a % to one of their charities. I usually get about 20-30 cars washed and 4-5 details setup at a later date.
I try and setup washes to coinside with payday schedules...... Then on the off weeks, get the detailing done.

If you are talking about washing, my rig is setup to do 30+ cars for the day.

I don't go out for less than $150 for a detail, when I do washing, its a whole day thing.

I'll try and post some pics, see if they come out