PDA

View Full Version : my first detail

edlin
06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
hello everyone...this is my wife's 2008 chrysler town and country and of course i had to detail it first (experiment) before i did my car. in my opinion it turned out ok...thanks very much for the info here available to newbies like me. :dblthumb2:

LegacyGT
06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
:dblthumb2:

Looking very nice, good wet look and lots of reflections.

Share with us what your process was, what methods / products did you use?

Also, :welcome:

WRAPT C5Z06
06-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Very nice!

Scarelane
06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Nothing like using the wife's car for experimental purposes! Mint!!

edlin
06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
someone from legacy gt forum actually got me interested in detailing...ocdetails is his username in that forum. i used a pc polisher and edge 2k pads, and mothers 3 step system and topped it with meguiars ultimate wax. i just ordered some wg sealant and pinnacle wax to see if there is a difference from off the shelve products vs more-expensive ones. thanks for the compliments.
scarelane, hahahaha ;)

edlin
06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
:dblthumb2:

Looking very nice, good wet look and lots of reflections.

Share with us what your process was, what methods / products did you use?

Also, :welcome:

thanks legacygt...i do have a question though...i also have a legacy (05 legacy wagon) and i am worried about detailing the curved surfaces. any suggestions???

LegacyGT
06-21-2011, 08:34 AM
thanks legacygt...i do have a question though...i also have a legacy (05 legacy wagon) and i am worried about detailing the curved surfaces. any suggestions???

I have had no problems with the curved surfaces. I would be interested if you have seen any signs of clear coat failure on the front panels on either side of the hood, I have started seeing some clear failure on these, so I am going to treat with Opti-coat and pretty much leave them alone in the future.

Best suggestion for attacking the curves I have is to go down in pad size, 5.5 should work very well, and move your body with the angle of the curve, so you are rotating your arms and upper body to follow the contours.

I have had very good results with the Legacy paint responding to Lake County Hydro-Tech pads (especially tangerine) in combination with Menzerna SIP. The mothers 3-step system is a good system, but I found step 1 was not aggressive enough for my correction, so I would get some Mothers Power Polish if you want to stay within that line of products, or pick up some Menzerna SIP / Wolfgang TSR.

My Spring detail thread is here if you are interested: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/35748-epic-review-2006-subaru-spring-detail.html

BobbyG
06-21-2011, 09:53 AM
It looks like you joined up recently so :welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Your wifes van looks spectacular! Metallic or Candy Apple red is one of those colors that I love to finish with a wet look.

edlin
06-21-2011, 10:24 AM
It looks like you joined up recently so :welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Your wifes van looks spectacular! Metallic or Candy Apple red is one of those colors that I love to finish with a wet look.

thank you...it also helps that it is relatively new (a little over 2 years old). it must be more of that than my "trial" (the wife did not appreciate the experiment, so will use a different word) detail.

edlin
06-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I have had no problems with the curved surfaces. I would be interested if you have seen any signs of clear coat failure on the front panels on either side of the hood, I have started seeing some clear failure on these, so I am going to treat with Opti-coat and pretty much leave them alone in the future.

Best suggestion for attacking the curves I have is to go down in pad size, 5.5 should work very well, and move your body with the angle of the curve, so you are rotating your arms and upper body to follow the contours.

I have had very good results with the Legacy paint responding to Lake County Hydro-Tech pads (especially tangerine) in combination with Menzerna SIP. The mothers 3-step system is a good system, but I found step 1 was not aggressive enough for my correction, so I would get some Mothers Power Polish if you want to stay within that line of products, or pick up some Menzerna SIP / Wolfgang TSR.

My Spring detail thread is here if you are interested: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/35748-epic-review-2006-subaru-spring-detail.html

thank you for the reply...i have not noticed any clear coat failure anywhere yet (fingers crossed). i did a wash and clayed it yesterday. btw this is my daily drive too, 120k+ miles on it, non turbo. i will wait for the other stuff that i ordered before doing swirl removal. i looked up your spring detail thread and i got a lot of info/help from that. thank you again.
edlin:iagree:

oldmodman
06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Very nice result.

Keep up the good work and don't worry if you are not satisfied with any first results.

Being a bunch or persnickety perfectionists is what keeps us going!

bigaizsosexy
06-21-2011, 02:20 PM
hello everyone...this is my wife's 2008 chrysler town and country and of course i had to detail it first (experiment) before i did my car. in my opinion it turned out ok...thanks very much for the info here available to newbies like me. :dblthumb2:

Hey man, don't doubt yourself by saying it turned out ok.....we were all in your position at some point in our lives. You did a good job!! I would just say use the 5.5in pads like the other gentlemen said because they don't waste as much product and are much more versatile.

bigaizsosexy
06-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Very nice result.

Keep up the good work and don't worry if you are not satisfied with any first results.

Being a bunch or persnickety perfectionists is what keeps us going!

:iagree: