PDA

View Full Version : First Tattoo...Questions to Ask, Thinks to Know???

Pages : [1] 2 3

galaxy
06-17-2011, 10:59 PM
OK, so...first tattoo! What are some basics and things to make sure of? No, I'm not talking about making sure of what you want to get or where...past that! When it's time to pull the trigger, what are some good home work steps to do, things to know, questions to ask, best way to shop around for the right artist/shop, etc, etc. Thanks guys.

Ted S.
06-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Well first off, you don't wan't to get one sober; that'll ruin the experience.:xyxthumbs:

maximus20895
06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Make sure they don't reuse needs and are SAFE!

Talk to your tattooed friends about who they would recommend.
Ask who worked on each of their tattoos and where they got them done. Find out what they thought of the experience.

Visit tattoo shops and examine portfolios. Most larger shops now have artist portfolios available online.
If your chosen shop doesn't, you can find a portfolio of each artist's work in the shop.

Meet with tattoo artists whose work you admire.
Let them know that you are looking for a tattoo artist and describe your idea.
If you have a sketch, photograph or other source material, bring it along.
Even if you want flash, ask the artists what kind of custom work they specialize in.

mcpp66
06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Eh, save your money for a more useful endeavor.

Dubbin1
06-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I think the biggest thing is to step back and think about it again. Remember it's not gonna wash off. I was already to get one, even paid to have the artist draw up some designs then thought hard about it again and never got it.

Setec Astronomy
06-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Eh, save your money for a more useful endeavor.

I think the biggest thing is to step back and think about it again. Remember it's not gonna wash off. I was already to get one, even paid to have the artist draw up some designs then thought hard about it again and never got it.

Shoot, "Things to Know" I was gonna answer "don't do it" but I figured I'd sound like the old guy in the room. Now I don't feel so bad.

Dubbin1
06-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Shoot, "Things to Know" I was gonna answer "don't do it" but I figured I'd sound like the old guy in the room. Now I don't feel so bad.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying think more about it. I have nothing at all against people wanting to get inked up, its just not for me.

maximus20895
06-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Forget about the haters here. They don't want it then they don't have to get it. If you want it get it, but make sure you want it.

Just be safe!

Scarelane
06-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Forget about the haters here. They don't want it then they don't have to get it. If you want it get it, but make sure you want it.

Just be safe!

Yes. Exactly. I have a few and I don't regret any of them. Ask around for references where to go.

It's just a way to express yourself. Some will like, some will not. All that matter is that YOU like it!

:xyxthumbs:

mcpp66
06-18-2011, 12:37 AM

No, you're not the only old guy in the room. I don't get this whole tattoo craze going on in the world right now. But, to each their own I guess.

FUNX650
06-18-2011, 01:10 AM

Just be safe!

So far I've seen no sign of "haters" doing any posting--but that could change, I guess.

Hey galaxy: I'm one of those old guys that has no regrets of having no tats. I don't really care who gets 'em or what area on their body they get 'em on.....Just make sure the last one is not...666 :D

Bob

buddhadog
06-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Besides giving it more thought just remember that when your 80 or 90 you will have the same tatoo and it wont look nearly as good .

But if you must do it ,it will keep its colors better out of the sun and when in the sun make sure to use sunscreen.

93fox
06-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Just be careful and do alot of scoping around the studios in your area. I personally love tattoos, i have 4. Only one and visible and it is super tiny. The other ones are not visible and i plan to keep it that way. I am about to get another in hebrew letters saying, "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"... One of my all time favorite quotes. But good luck man!!!

Mobile detail
06-18-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm covered in tattoos. I love them. Some people express their art through their car, others through tattoos. Sure I have some that didn't turn out great but I wouldn't get them removed. I've had them for 10 years. hell my grandpa is sleevedbut he was in the navy and got them done by the famous artist sailor jerry. Its a beautiful at that some people won't it shouldn't understand our like. Its just not for them. Just go to a reputable shop and check out current artist work and get recommendations from people with tats

skipper1
06-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Spend a few hundred dollars today and get that tattoo, 10 or 20 years from now spend a few thousand dollars to get them removed. And, remember they can keep you from getting a good paying job. That's probably no big deal right now, but it will be.

Rather than call myself an old guy, I like to call myself an experienced guy.