PDA

View Full Version : Had fun today!

whirledpeaz
06-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Well I finally got finished today with my 2011 mustang. It had a quite a bit of DISO as it sat on the lot for several months. Here's what I used with the pcxp;

wash with dish detergent
megs smooth surface clay kit
lc orange with menzerna intensive polish
lc yellow with menzerna final finish
sealed with WGDGS 3.0 (stuff is fantastic!)

I didn't use anything to clean the car before the sealant. I read some info for and against using IPA. Should I have cleaned before the sealant? Is it ok to stop after the sealant? If not what should I use I have the following available:

Megs ultimate qd
Megs nxt tech wax 2.0
Megs ultimate quik wax
Eagle one nanowax

This was my first "full tilt boogie" exterior detail. Let me say that I have a new found respect for anyone that does this for a living.:buffing: It took me the better part of two days. I still was only able to get about 90-95% of the defects out. This ford clearcoat is seriously hard!

Thanks for any advice and for taking time to read this. I have included some photos.

Dubbin1
06-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Why would you finish with a yellow pad, its the most aggressive cutting pad of the bunch.

maximus20895
06-17-2011, 09:09 PM
:iagree: I don't even like them with a compound!

whirledpeaz
06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
oops! the "yellow" were actually white - just dingy I found the one new yellow one I had and it was definitely yellow and firmer. I should have used yellow and orange instead of orange and white!

Dubbin1
06-17-2011, 09:21 PM
oops! the "yellow" were actually white - just dingy I found the one new yellow one I had and it was definitely yellow and firmer. I should have used yellow and orange instead of orange and white!

Sounds like maybe you should have done a 3 step polish on it. You don't want to finish up with an orange pad.

I understand about the white pads turning yellow, all of mine turned yellow on me...

whirledpeaz
06-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Sounds like maybe you should have done a 3 step polish on it. You don't want to finish up with an orange pad.

I understand about the white pads turning yellow, all of mine turned yellow on me...

Wish I had realized that what I thought were the yellow were actually white and that the true yellow were more aggressive before hand.

It does look really good however. I'm by no means and expert but this clear seems really hard, I didn't see any hazing or micro marring. Is that why you said "don't finish with an orange"?

Again,

Thanks

911fanatic
06-17-2011, 10:30 PM
I worked on a new GT CS a while ago and didn't find the clear that hard. The reason it seems hard is that the dealer installed damage is so deep! If you are using a PC, try the B&S Yellow with Menz Power Finish and the green with Final Finish and you should be fine.

Flash Gordon
06-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Your car looks great

Its funny how ppls opinion of fun differs. To me, a day at the beach, going to the zoo, going fishin, or jusy kickin it around the house = fun day for me

Polishing a car all day almost seems like some sorta punishment to me. Go figure...

Flash :dunno:

whirledpeaz
06-18-2011, 03:54 AM
I worked on a new GT CS a while ago and didn't find the clear that hard. The reason it seems hard is that the dealer installed damage is so deep! If you are using a PC, try the B&S Yellow with Menz Power Finish and the green with Final Finish and you should be fine.

Thank you for the advice. I had purchased my supplies last summer and needed to read up again on everything before hand.

Your car looks great

Its funny how ppls opinion of fun differs. To me, a day at the beach, going to the zoo, going fishin, or jusy kickin it around the house = fun day for me

Polishing a car all day almost seems like some sorta punishment to me. Go figure...

Flash :dunno:

Actually, it was and I'm glad I'm done. Next time? I'll be better informed.