PDA

View Full Version : 2005 C6 Corvette 3-step paint correction

rider9195
06-17-2011, 06:44 PM
So after ordering some M105 and Purple Foamed Wool pads, I got to work on my(dads) C6 Corvette. I wanna start off by saying I am absolutely amazed at the results I got using a PC 7424XP! The hood was swirled the worst so I thought I would try to tackle that first to see if it would even work. Of course doing a test spot. I ended up doing 30 section passes...yes 30. Lol. I had to stop at 10 to put some more product on the pad and wipe the residue off. But i eventually got the results I wanted. Then using a orange LC pad i did 6 passes with M105 to bring back some shine. Then using a black LC pad and CG P40 to jewel the paint. Luckily the rest of the car wasn't too bad. The plastic panels seemed to correct much quicker than the metal panels. Not sure why.
So after 7 hours I have 3/4 of the car swirl free. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish it up and post some pictures of the results.
:buffing:

Jaretr1
06-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I am going to go out on a limb, but if you did that many section passes, perhaps you were moving to quickly? Doesn't seem like you gave the product a chance to work if you needed to do that many passes. Glad you ultimately got the results you were looking for.

FUNX650
06-18-2011, 12:52 AM
So after ordering some M105 and Purple Foamed Wool pads, I got to work on my(dads) C6 Corvette. I wanna start off by saying I am absolutely amazed at the results I got using a PC 7424XP! The hood was swirled the worst so I thought I would try to tackle that first to see if it would even work. Of course doing a test spot. I ended up doing 30 section passes...yes 30. Lol. I had to stop at 10 to put some more product on the pad and wipe the residue off. But i eventually got the results I wanted. Then using a orange LC pad i did 6 passes with M105 to bring back some shine. Then using a black LC pad and CG P40 to jewel the paint. Luckily the rest of the car wasn't too bad. The plastic panels seemed to correct much quicker than the metal panels. Not sure why.
So after 7 hours I have 3/4 of the car swirl free. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish it up and post some pictures of the results.
:buffing:

Man oh man! That sure seems like a lot of passes---but if that's what it took to get the results you are looking for, and it satisfies you, and your Father, then that's all that matters. :) Good luck finishing up. Post up some pics.
__________________________________________________ __

I may be wrong about this anyway, (but I noticed your mention of metal and plastic panels in your post), I was unaware that the C6 Corvettes had those panel types.:confused:

Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but this is what I've been made aware of, and it might be of help to you:

All of the body panels on a C6 Corvette, as far as I've been made aware of, are of a composite material. These composite panels are either of Resin Transfer Molding (RRIM), Sheet Molding Compound/Composite (SMC) processes, or both. Either process could be construed as "fiberglass", just not in the traditional sense. [I believe that the Bulk Molding Compound (BMC) processes are no longer being used for this purpose---the costs differences may come into play.

The Z06, besides having those same composite panels as the standard C6, uses another, different composite--carbon fiber, on the front fender panels. The ZR1 also uses that carbon fiber composite, for the hood, roof panel, the halo, and front fender panels.

My Father-in-Law has a 1973 Roadster, and I believe that is the year(?), [I could be off a little bit], that the Corvette engineers were steered away from the traditional fiberglass molding processes for bodies/panels, to the composites.

I may also be incorrect, but, I have a hunch that, by the looks (no corrugation for reinforcement?), and its heft, that the gas cap door panel may be more of what could be culled from a "traditional plastic" stamping. A little more research can determine what kind of plastic it may be, if so it is.

I hope this gives you something to think about when it comes to your wondering why some panels "seemed to correct much quicker" than others. And if there are metal panels on your Father's C6, please let me know. I'd like to make any needed corrections where they are due. Thanks.

Just something to ponder........Bob

ScottB
06-18-2011, 04:15 PM
The Vettes harder clearcoat is a pain to correct, but using 105 and wool pads is a pretty heavy combo and should have helped. I have found, and many others, that when using a DA on a Vette its best to move to Surbuf pads or Megs DA system for heavier correcting. For light correcting Hydro-tech pads and several two step polishes like Menzerna or Megs helps.