PDA

View Full Version : Scratches

StarGazer
01-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

help...

My wife's 2005 G6 GT (Black) had a run in with our garage door on it's way down.:(

The trunk lid is pretty marked up with two very thin scratches I can catch with my fingernail. The rest appears to be "just" clearcoat damage. I think the clearcoat stuff I should be able to get with a PC (I'll need to buy one) and the right SSR#'s from Poorboys.(I've used PB products and like them so far) The scratches I plan to tackle with a paint stick/clearcoat stick pair from PaintScratch.com.

I have two questions.

1. Am I dumb for trying to do this myself?

2. If not should I use the paint stick first and then PC out the damage, or hit it with the PC first and see if there's more scratches that require paint and then hit it with the PC again after the paint.

Any and all suggestions are very welcome.Feed back please

SG

nick19
01-17-2007, 01:37 AM
T.T.I.W.W.P.

This thread is worthless without pics.. did I mention :Picture:? hehe ;)

Without any PC experience, I'm assuming, it might be frustrating at first, but if you don't succeed, don't give up.

You can TRY; OP, PB #2, PB #2.5, PB #3, XMT#2, XMT#3, DP Super Swirl remover (on sale), DP Mild Swirl remover, Meg's #83, Meg's #80.

I have personal experience with OP, and the two Meg's products. Well worth it. I also picked up the DP line too, just recently. Heard good things about the rest. You probably can't go wrong with what product line you choose.

#1. No, you are right for trying to fix it. You can likely fix it yourself. Much cheaper than a repaint or something else. A PC is a WONDERFUL tool, and practically fool-proof.
#2. I've heard otherwise, the paint stick is worthless. I have no experience, but a good friend didn't have any success with his. How much are they BTW?

-Nick
5-Star Auto Detailing

StarGazer
01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
The pen kit costs around $27+S&H which includes base, clear, thinner, and rubbing compound. I've done some research on the web and these guys seem to come highly recommended.
http://www.paintscratch.com/paintpen.htm

SG

ScottB
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
A good detailing kit with buffer costs less than one (likely average) detail. Do yourself a favor and learn a new hobby.

http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html

StarGazer
01-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Way ahead of you, Killer. The PC and the PB SSR's 1, 2.5 and 3 are on order. I'll get back to you with the results. These will have to be delayed though. Work is going to have me busy through the weekend untill at least Wednesday. When I get to it, I'll get some before and after pics.

Pat

StarGazer
02-02-2007, 11:29 AM
The PC and pads came in last week while I was in Mexico for work. It's too cold now to do any thing either outside or in the garage.:(

Currently I have the PC and the 5" backer, 4 orange pads, the white pad that came with the PC, 2 gray pads, a Lambs wool pad, two terry bonnets, and two MF bonnets. Products are PB's SSR's 1,2.5, and 3; Pro Polish; EX-P; and Natty's Blue paste. Did I miss anything?

I need to know if the white pad that comes with the PC will match the other white polishing pads' performance or if I need to toss it and get some.

Pics to come.

Thanks,
Pat

YankeeFan
02-02-2007, 01:06 PM
The pen kit costs around $27+S&H which includes base, clear, thinner, and rubbing compound. I've done some research on the web and these guys seem to come highly recommended.
PaintScratch Paint Pen Instructions (http://www.paintscratch.com/paintpen.htm)

SG

I wonder, how this is accomplished.........do car manufactures sell the paint or do you think these type of companies try to mix their own. I was looking at them the other night and see they are pretty specific on the paint colors you can buy.

Howard

StarGazer
02-02-2007, 01:10 PM
I think I read on their site that they mix for each order to insure freash product.

Pat