PDA

View Full Version : PB Bold n Bright or Optimum Opti-bond?

Pages : [1] 2

sportscarhiatus
06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I have been reading excellent reviews on Opti-bond, and some on BnB gel, but still can't decide on which order to place for the father's day sale.

Can you folks please convince me of either product? I've been using the older BnB (non-gel) and have been pretty happy with it. The new BnB gel is intriguing to me, but so is Opti-bond. I think Mark (07-Zoh-6) swears by Opti-bond ;)

Please advise! :) thanks. :props:

Dubbin1
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
How about one even better DP Gloss Tire Gel (http://www.autogeek.net/dp330.html)

elk42
06-17-2011, 10:03 AM
I moved from Megs Endurance gel to Bold n Bright and love the results. not messy and it will last awhile. Cant speak for the Optimum but have heard good results as well.

Paul

superd
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I used the WG and numerous other brands and Poorboy's Bold N Bright Tire Dressing won hands down. The BnB is my choice because of how easy it is to apply, minimal if any "sling", and the product maintains it's look for a long time. :drool:

David

sportscarhiatus
06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
How about one even better DP Gloss Tire Gel (http://www.autogeek.net/dp330.html)

Dwayne, thanks for the suggestion, however, it is my understanding that this DP gel is not water based, therefore needing a longer (1/2 hour or more) cure time before driving? I would assume, DP is thus more prone to "sling off"?

I may have forgotten to put this in the first post, but sling off to me is my most important feature, followed by sheen, durability, ease of application, etc.

BnB has been the ONLY product I have ever used on tires that has absolutely ZERO sling off. So I was hoping Opti-bond would be the same? Can someone say one way or another whether or not DP gel slings?

sportscarhiatus
06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I used the WG and numerous other brands and Poorboy's Bold N Bright Tire Dressing won hands down. The BnB is my choice because of how easy it is to apply, minimal if any "sling", and the product maintains it's look for a long time. :drool:

David

^ exactly my thoughts on BnB...

was hoping someone could speak to Opti-bond or DP gel in this "sling" category?

D_Nyholm
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
I've used poorboys and actually use meguiars hyper dressing instead as I feel they are very similar. You dilute it 1:1 for shiny and up to 4:1 for a more matte look, and it dries pretty fast and doesn't sling off. It also comes off very easily if any gets on the paint and doesn't leave any streaks behind. Durability isn't that great when it is very diluted, but at 1:1 it will last long enough until your next wash.

I've even applied it straight with just an ounce or two of water to thin it out and it was so shiny it was ridiculous. Though it can get messy and sling when it isn't diluted.

daves120
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I use Opti-Bond and driven my truck shortly after application without any sling off. Now this will depend on how it is applied.

I normally put two very light coats on my tires to ensure that there is total coverage. This means two trips around the vehicle. I utilize a curved foam pad and it is saturated by the time I make the first trip around the car and will only take a drop or two for each tire for the next trip. Also, it has been two weeks since last applied to the truck and still shining strong.

I have never used the PB product but it sounds promising.

Nick McKees37
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Dwayne, thanks for the suggestion, however, it is my understanding that this DP gel is not water based, therefore needing a longer (1/2 hour or more) cure time before driving? I would assume, DP is thus more prone to "sling off"?

I may have forgotten to put this in the first post, but sling off to me is my most important feature, followed by sheen, durability, ease of application, etc.

BnB has been the ONLY product I have ever used on tires that has absolutely ZERO sling off. So I was hoping Opti-bond would be the same? Can someone say one way or another whether or not DP gel slings?

The New Formula DP Gloss Tire Gel is in fact water based, dries to the touch, and will not sling off if applied correctly.

I've tried just about all of them, and my personal favorites go as follows (no particular order).

Eco Touch Tire Shine
Optimum Opti-Bond
DP Gloss Tire Gel
CarPro PERL
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

In terms of durability, the PERL wins hands down, but for overall look and ease of use, I'd go with the DP Gloss Tire Gel. It's very concentrated and goes on extremely thin, a little product goes a long way, and I can get a solid 3-4 weeks out of each application, even through a couple rainfalls.

If you're looking for a similar look to DP Gloss Tire Gel but want more durability, I'd recommend going with the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel. It goes on even thinner yet and will provide a solid month of protection and shine, if not more. In terms of durability, it fits in between the DP and the PERL.

Here is a picture of the Wolfgang on Jason's truck. Even with the big tires, it took very little product, and one application lasted for over a month.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1142/IMG_2167.jpg

Another hidden gem is the Eco Touch Tire Shine. It provides more gloss than most gels, and it's also very durable too. It's not as concentrated as the Wolfgang or DP, and doesn't go on quite as easy, but it provides a nice gloss if that's what you're after.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1106/IMG_1890.JPG

The Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel (http://www.autogeek.net/buy-one-get-one-free.html) also happens to be on BOGO right now.:xyxthumbs:

sportscarhiatus
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I've used poorboys and actually use meguiars hyper dressing instead as I feel they are very similar. You dilute it 1:1 for shiny and up to 4:1 for a more matte look, and it dries pretty fast and doesn't sling off. It also comes off very easily if any gets on the paint and doesn't leave any streaks behind. Durability isn't that great when it is very diluted, but at 1:1 it will last long enough until your next wash.

I've even applied it straight with just an ounce or two of water to thin it out and it was so shiny it was ridiculous. Though it can get messy and sling when it isn't diluted.

Thank you for the input sir. I will have to look at hyper dressing, but I am a bit worried about sling off...

I use Opti-Bond and driven my truck shortly after application without any sling off. Now this will depend on how it is applied.

I normally put two very light coats on my tires to ensure that there is total coverage. This means two trips around the vehicle. I utilize a curved foam pad and it is saturated by the time I make the first trip around the car and will only take a drop or two for each tire for the next trip. Also, it has been two weeks since last applied to the truck and still shining strong.

I have never used the PB product but it sounds promising.

This is very interesting. So Opti-bond is prone to sling if not applied correctly eh?

My favorite thing about BnB is that I could over-apply all day, 3 coats even, and there is zero sling off. Again, my favorite feature of BnB.

So is it conclusive to say OptiBond "may" sling off if not applied correctly?

The New Formula DP Gloss Tire Gel is in fact water based, dries to the touch, and will not sling off if applied correctly.

I've tried just about all of them, and my personal favorites go as follows (no particular order).

Eco Touch Tire Shine
Optimum Opti-Bond
DP Gloss Tire Gel
CarPro PERL
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

In terms of durability, the PERL wins hands down, but for overall look and ease of use, I'd go with the DP Gloss Tire Gel. It's very concentrated and goes on extremely thin, a little product goes a long way, and I can get a solid 3-4 weeks out of each application, even through a couple rainfalls.

If you're looking for a similar look to DP Gloss Tire Gel but want more durability, I'd recommend going with the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel. It goes on even thinner yet and will provide a solid month of protection and shine, if not more. In terms of durability, it fits in between the DP and the PERL.

Here is a picture of the Wolfgang on Jason's truck. Even with the big tires, it took very little product, and one application lasted for over a month.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1142/IMG_2167.jpg

Another hidden gem is the Eco Touch Tire Shine. It provides more gloss than most gels, and it's also very durable too. It's not as concentrated as the Wolfgang or DP, and doesn't go on quite as easy, but it provides a nice gloss if that's what you're after.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1106/IMG_1890.JPG

The Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel (http://www.autogeek.net/buy-one-get-one-free.html) also happens to be on BOGO right now.:xyxthumbs:

Nick, thank you for the input. I have bought WG gel in the past, and it's currently sitting on my shelf. I liked the look of it, but the tire sling was very bad. I was disappointed in that regard.

Could you please comment on the sling off properties of the other products you mentioned? Durability is a plus, but I think sling off and looks are my top deciding factors. Also, price does not matter to me. I just want something that works VERY well.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Bold n' Bright will give you more of a sheen. Opti-Bond will too, but it's suttle. :dblthumb2:

daves120
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I am saying that if it is applied very thick and you drove off before it dried, there is a good chance for sling off.

Since I have been using this product I have never had an issue with sling off. I have had the issue with the DP product but that my be that the gel had not dried completely before I had to go somewhere.

How about this, PM me with your address and I will send you a sample of Opti-Bond to test. Then you can decide if you want to purchase some.

05xrunner
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
i like opti-bond..it gives my tires a clean satin black look..not really a glossy shine and thats what I like...I dont like my tires to be all shiny. plus its cheap last pretty long I think

Nick McKees37
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Could you please comment on the sling off properties of the other products you mentioned? Durability is a plus, but I think sling off and looks are my top deciding factors. Also, price does not matter to me. I just want something that works VERY well.

Of all the products that I mentioned, I've never encountered sling off with any of them. If I had issues with sling off, I'd either re-evaluate the application process, or find another product. :props:

CleanGene
06-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Opti-bond diluted 1:1 and applied thinly & evenly with an opti-gun will give you an insane shine and lasts a good while. I also use BnB with an applicator and will try it 1:1 in the opti-gun if and when I can ever use up the opti-bond that's in it. Both are great!