PDA

View Full Version : New motorcycle

colonel
06-17-2011, 04:19 AM
I just picked up a "new" bike this week. 1987 Honda Rebel with 1300 miles on it. Paint is decent on it with a couple of small scratches/chips on the tank. Aluminum is dull and the factory clear coat is turning yellow. Chrome has a few small rust spots. Overall very good shape for 24 years old.
What is the best method for removing the factory clear coat on the aluminum parts?

tuscarora dave
06-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Have you tried polishing the clear coat to see if there is a reduction or overall removal of the yellowing effect? I would try polishing it first.

I have removed the clear on aluminum motorcycle parts by sanding it off with several different grades of paper and then polishing up with several grades of jewelers rouge on a wheel style buffer (bench grinder type) but this takes forever to do even the smallest part and leaves the aluminum unprotected so it oxidizes and turns white in a short period of time unless re coated with clear automotive paint.

In my experience, I think it is not worth all the work. Just something to think about.

colonel
06-17-2011, 05:04 AM
I haven't tried anything on it yet. I have been too busy riding it. The clear coat is missing in spots and turning yellow in others. Was thinking of removing the remainder and respraying with a high temp clear.

colonel
06-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Trying to upload a pic

michaelg
09-21-2011, 02:46 AM
I thing you tried poliching as well then Removing scraches/chips on the tank.

Thanks

4wheelsonline
09-27-2011, 09:20 PM
I thing you tried poliching as well then Removing scraches/chips on the tank.

I agree on that. If you already tried polishing your bike will look more better....

Klink10
09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
To answer the question, "What is the best way to remove the old clear coat" I'll tell you what I did with parts off my Yammy XS650. Pulled the piece, applied Easy Off oven cleaner, let sit for a bit (but not until dry) agitated with a green scratchy pad and rinsed with water. Might take a couple of tries but this did it for me and I did several pieces quick. Sand to desired surface texture and polish or re-spray with clear.

michaelg
09-28-2011, 12:28 AM
I agree on that. If you already tried polishing your bike will look more better....
Hello sir,

Yes, you have trie and then see result.

Used Trucks For Sale - Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, GMC, International Truck Trader (http://www.buytrucksntrailers.com)