PDA

View Full Version : A few hand application questions

Smug Monkey
06-16-2011, 08:52 PM
I just received my first order from the geek and I am very excited to give these products a try.

I ordered the P21S Paint Cleanser and Collinte #845. Should I dampen the Pinnacle foam applicator pads I also purchased before using both of these products? I got a sample of the Pinnacle Crystal Mist with my order and was wondering if a few squirts of this product to the pad would help? Or just use a little water?

Also, are there any special tips on the Collinite application? I shook it well and achieved the proper "milky" consistancy and know it should be applied very thin, but I don't want to just blot it on the pad. Maybe apply it to the pad in a circular swirl fashion with a squeeze bottle?

I also got the Duragloss AW, and Stoner Tire Shine.

Any tips would be appreciated! :xyxthumbs:

Thanks,
Mark

dougaross
06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
If you've got a flip top from another product, use on the 845 so you can apply it in droplets on to your pad

PBoy
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
I wondered the same.

Would damping a foam pad with a QD for #845 application "compromise" its protection?

Dubbin1
06-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Why would you want to dampen the pad? 845 is easy to apply.

DARK HORSE
06-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Do not dampen the pad with anything! Lightly prime the pad with product and get after it!

PBoy
06-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Why would you want to dampen the pad? 845 is easy to apply.

thought it would help you to spread it thinner

Dubbin1
06-17-2011, 12:12 AM
thought it would help you to spread it thinner

It goes on thin enough on its own.

Matt
06-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Yeap, as the others have said, you won't really find any benefit priming the pad with water or a QD, the 845 is so thin already priming it with itself will do the trick, causing it to go on extremely thin.

I use one of the red euro CCS foam applicators (http://www.autogeek.net/red-euro-applicator.html) to apply it, makes it nice and easy to cover the car with a thin coat.

Smug Monkey
06-17-2011, 06:21 AM
No dampening for the P21S either?

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Mark

Matt
06-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Nope definitely no water with the paint cleanser. You should use a decent amount of the paint cleanser as it's not like a wax where thin is in, a paint cleanser is just that, a paint cleanser to clean the paint and prep it for the wax. Using water would more likely hinder the performance of the cleanser.

Also, I use a microfiber applicator to apply my P21s cleanser by hand.

Edit: I'm sure you've read the instructions on how to use a paint cleanser, but just incase you haven't, you wipe the cleanser off after you've finished working it. Try to avoid letting it dry as well.

Mike Phillips
06-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Back in the early days of car waxes, from most of the labels I've read, (even a few modern products), the directions would say to dampen your applicator with water before use.

I've never figured out why this would add value as most waxes are not water soluble.

I know when I worked for Meguiar's when this question came up the answer was "no" don't dampen your applicator with water. If the chemist wants water in the process he'll add it to the formula.

Anyway, I wrote this for another project I'm working but since it applies here I've posted it to the public forum just a few minutes ago...

Priming your pad when working by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37277-priming-your-pad-when-working-hand.html)

One tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you...

Before applying to the entire car... first apply the product to a section about one foot squared, about the size of an average microfiber laid out flat, like this,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/930/MicrofiberTowel001.jpg

Then following the manufactures directions, that is let it dry, for how long, or don't let it dry, (whatever the directions are), then carefully wipe the product off.

Here's the tip...
To get a feel for how the product wipes off, test first to a small area. This way you'll be familiar with the wipe-off characteristics for the specific product before applying to the entire car.

Some products wipe off a tick on the difficult side if you apply them to thick or let them dry when they're not supposed to dry, etc. By experimenting by applying to a small area first and getting a feel for how the product wipes off you'll get a feel for the product.

For some people, what this may teach them is the importance of applying a thin coating and if you're new to the world of detailing in general and waxing by hand in specific, you might not know 100% exactly what is meant by a thin coating.

:D

Smug Monkey
06-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Nope definitely no water with the paint cleanser. You should use a decent amount of the paint cleanser as it's not like a wax where thin is in, a paint cleanser is just that, a paint cleanser to clean the paint and prep it for the wax. Using water would more likely hinder the performance of the cleanser.

Also, I use a microfiber applicator to apply my P21s cleanser by hand.

Edit: I'm sure you've read the instructions on how to use a paint cleanser, but just incase you haven't, you wipe the cleanser off after you've finished working it. Try to avoid letting it dry as well.

Thanks for the tips, Matt! :xyxthumbs:

Much appreciated,
Mark

Smug Monkey
06-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Back in the early days of car waxes, from most of the labels I've read, (even a few modern products), the directions would say to dampen your applicator with water before use.

I've never figured out why this would add value as most waxes are not water soluble.

I know when I worked for Meguiar's when this question came up the answer was "no" don't dampen your applicator with water. If the chemist wants water in the process he'll add it to the formula.

Anyway, I wrote this for another project I'm working but since it applies here I've posted it to the public forum just a few minutes ago...

Priming your pad when working by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37277-priming-your-pad-when-working-hand.html)

One tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you...

Before applying to the entire car... first apply the product to a section about one foot squared, about the size of an average microfiber laid out flat, like this,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/930/MicrofiberTowel001.jpg

Then following the manufactures directions, that is let it dry, for how long, or don't let it dry, (whatever the directions are), then carefully wipe the product off.

Here's the tip...
To get a feel for how the product wipes off, test first to a small area. This way you'll be familiar with the wipe-off characteristics for the specific product before applying to the entire car.

Some products wipe off a tick on the difficult side if you apply them to thick or let them dry when they're not supposed to dry, etc. By experimenting by applying to a small area first and getting a feel for how the product wipes off you'll get a feel for the product.

For some people, what this may teach them is the importance of applying a thin coating and if you're new to the world of detailing in general and waxing by hand in specific, you might not know 100% exactly what is meant by a thin coating.

:D

Mike, this is exactly what I wanted to know and the pictures really help "bring it home". Thanks for a great write-up and the link to pad priming! :props:

Mark