PDA

View Full Version : CQuartz and Opti-Coat

Pages : [1] 2

qaz393
06-16-2011, 08:39 PM
i have vehicles with clear bra already installed?? should i only apply Cquartz on the panel with the clear bra as cquartz can be layered without polishing off previous applications?

CEE DOG
06-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Can you re-phrase? I'm not sure I understand the question

Chris Thomas
06-16-2011, 09:45 PM
CQuartz and Opticoat are not the same. Yet every thread any one starts mentions them interchangeably. I feel like I'm failing at educating you guys.

qaz393
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
i have 2 cars with clear bra already installed. i want to use a coating product. do i have to remove the clear bra for the coating or should i just leave it on and use cquartz for the panels that have clear bra as cquartz doesnt need to be compounded off??

CEE DOG
06-16-2011, 09:50 PM
If you wanted to remove CQuartz it would have to be removed by polish or compound similar to the way Opticoat would. Are you saying you don't want to remove the bra and are considering using the CQ up to the line of the bra?

If your saying you want to CQ half the hood now and then remove the clear bra at some point and CQ that area then technically yes but that wouldn't be the best idea.

Chris Thomas
06-16-2011, 09:56 PM
OC can be used over the clear bra without removing it. If there is ever a need to remove it, you will only need to level the edge with compound, lightly compound or polish the rest of the panel so a second coat will stick, and recoat.

qaz393
06-16-2011, 10:14 PM
OC can be used over the clear bra without removing it. If there is ever a need to remove it, you will only need to level the edge with compound, lightly compound or polish the rest of the panel so a second coat will stick, and recoat.

wait so opticoat can be layered by polishing lightly??? do u mean polishin as in removing 90% of the coating or just the top??

Flannigan
06-16-2011, 11:30 PM
CQuartz and Opticoat are not the same. Yet every thread any one starts mentions them interchangeably. I feel like I'm failing at educating you guys.
While I certainly understand how different the two products are, I don't think you should be surprised that people are confused. Both products were picked up by AG around the same time, both have similar claims, both cost about the same and so on. I think it's only natural when you have a customer base this big that not everyone is going to take the time to read all the information for both products.

That all being said I applaud you for continuing to try and educate people.:xyxthumbs:

Avi@CarPro
06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
i have 2 cars with clear bra already installed. i want to use a coating product. do i have to remove the clear bra for the coating or should i just leave it on and use cquartz for the panels that have clear bra as cquartz doesnt need to be compounded off??
You better test cquartz on small area of the clear bra, it might streak the soft plastic.
cquartz is not good to coat on most types of clear bra ..

HeavyMetal
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
You better test cquartz on small area of the clear bra, it might streak the soft plastic.

I can second what Avi says. CQ is not compatible with the XPel clear bra on my wife's Lexus. I tested a small spot and it hazed the plastic a whitish color. That has since disappeared. I simply avoided the sections with the plastic (front hood section, mirrors, front fender section) and did those with a traditional sealant.

FUNX650
06-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Good for you posting this info Avi! Thanks.

I suggest the OP contact the manufacturer or installer of his clear bra, if available, for their recommendations, especially, IMO, if it's under warranty.

Bob

qaz393
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM

so cquartz is not recommended for plastics like headlights, grill etc?

HeavyMetal
06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
so cquartz is not recommended for plastics like headlights, grill etc?

I had no problem with the headlights and grill. It's just the soft clear bra Avi told me might be a problem.

weavers
06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
which has better scratch resistance? cquartz or opti-coat?

I am l looking at buying one or the other this weekend with the father days sale. i am a mobile detailer but this will be for my new 2002 sebring. i use ONR to wash cars and I noticed on my old car that onr would leave swirls, but would be ok on other peoples cars.

Dubbin1
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM
which has better scratch resistance? cquartz or opti-coat?

I am l looking at buying one or the other this weekend with the father days sale. i am a mobile detailer but this will be for my new 2002 sebring. i use ONR to wash cars and I noticed on my old car that onr would leave swirls, but would be ok on other peoples cars.

People need to understand that these coatings are not a miracle cure to scratches. You still need to show the same care in touching the paint as you do without it. I'm not sure about CQ but OC can take up to 3 months to reach full hardness.