PDA

View Full Version : Is this 2 step polishing process good enough?

Capa1970
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Currently the polishes that I have are Ultimate Compound, Griot's #3, and Menzerna PO85RD. I do not detail professionally and so my repertoire of compounds is limited. I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with apparently very hard paint (it's dark blue) and a 1999 Silver Lexus GS400 with apparently soft paint. To my eyes Ultimate Compound finishes very well. I know a lot of people here use the Wolfgang Twins and/or the Meg Twins. I was wondering whether I could create my own twins with the polishes that I have? I have the latest Griot' DA buffer and I have 12 LC 5 1/2 flat pads (yellow, orange, white, and black). Would it be a good idea to use UC with the orange or white pad followed by PO85RD with the white or black pad on the Lexus. I intend to follow that up with Duragloss 501, which I understand has good cleaning ability and possibly more cut than the PO85RD (???).

Also, would it be a good idea on the van to go Ultimate Compound (or possibly Meg 105, which I plan to buy) with the yellow or orange pad followed by PO85RD using either the white or black pad followed by Duragloss 501 on the black pad? 24 hours later I will add Collinite 845 using the black pad.

I am also wondering if it is ok, after wiping off the polish with a microfiber towel, to spray some quick detailer and go over the areas one more time to ensure no polish residue is left over?

Also, when I apply the Collinite the following day, would it be fine to use a QD to remove the dust rather than wash the car all over again?

I've read several posts on several forums that if you apply sealant on a silver car and then add wax on top it will do nothing for looks (they acknowledge that for dark colored cars there is a difference). Is this true?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Dubbin1
06-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I personally wouldn't go from UC or M105 to 85rd but it may give you the results you're looking for.

As far as what pads to use you will have to find out on your own on what works best by doing test spots.

jamores23
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
po85rd is more of a jeweling polish. it really doest have much of a cut to it. Id use m105 on a with po106fa which is SUPER FINISH with a white pad or m205 which is very good as well with a white pad. and if you want to "jewel" your paint use a gray pad with po85rd. spray the area with isopropyl alcohol diluted with water which will remove the polishing oils.

Capa1970
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I was really hoping to avoid a 3 step polishing process. So I'm assuming that you all would recommend going from UC to Griot's #3 to PO85RD?

Thanks for the replies thus far. If you all could also answer the other questions in regards to QD and using waxes on light colored cars.

Dubbin1
06-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I honestly wouldn't bother with a 3 step on the van.

Capa1970
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I honestly wouldn't bother with a 3 step on the van.

It is, after all, just a van. :)

I've just heard so many people state that both UC and 105 finish LSP ready or near LSP ready that I thought that I could get away with following it with Menzerna PO85RD. :(

john b
06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
do a test spot with uc then your menz-i might turn out to your likeing

SRTSean
06-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I was really hoping to avoid a 3 step polishing process. So I'm assuming that you all would recommend going from UC to Griot's #3 to PO85RD?

Thanks for the replies thus far. If you all could also answer the other questions in regards to QD and using waxes on light colored cars.

I've used Griots #3 a lot and I've always been able to get a nice finish out of it that's ready for sealant.

Just for reference, Griots' one-step sealant is marketed as a sealant with #3 polish mixed in. I think you can skip the PO85RD and still have great results.

Capa1970
06-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I agree that the Griots polish #3 finishes very well and it is LSP ready. But I'm halfway through the Griot's bottle and I just got a 1 quart bottle of the Menzerna product.
As stated earlier, in my eyes Ultimate Compound finishes very well and to me seens LSP ready I did do a test spot on the Lexus' trunk. I tried UC with the orange pad and then PO85RD with white and then Duragloss 501 with black. It looked great but I don't do this professionally and so may not be the best judge.