PDA

View Full Version : PBMA's waxes; I'm confuse!!

Pages : [1] 2

cobraa
06-16-2011, 12:42 AM
After playing around with pbma wax for the last 2 years.. it go tme more confuse than before lol.

What's the goal of each of them. they all seems the same.

Fuzion: My all-around wax, will make paint shine on any paint ( more suited for metallic thought) and last a very good time, like 4 months.

But now, here's the part I'm not sure.

Souveran: LOVE THE SMELL! but last 2 weeks. ( don't know why the website say 2-3 months) very wet-looking but usually I see that 3d effect after 2 or 3 coats. I barely see a difference with 1 coat.

Signature: small twist in the smell but pretty close to souveran, WOWO, I thought this wax was made for metallic. However, I'm getting excellent result on jet black and see a nice wetlook after only one coat and I think this wax last longer too?

Max wax: Smell even closer to souveran, WOWO too, last faily long for a wax ( like 2-3 months easy). my good to go wax on a client's car. I never saw more flake-popping after coating this wax so it's clearly a wet-looking wax than a metallic wax.

Only wax I didn't try is xmt360.

But seriously, what's your opinion on these wax? have you found a difference between each of them beside the price of the jar haha? I still feel like i love so much the smell of souveran that I will keep using it on my own car but it doesn't last enought time to be coated on a customer car.

and if I had to choose between Sig or Max wax, I feel like max wax would get my vote because it's slightly cheaper and I feel like it will last longer than sigII and, in terms of look, *slight* advantage to SigII because it's a bit more 3-D ( i think that's what we call shimmer right?) than a simply wet-looking paint but at the end I would still pick max wax.

Fuzion, well.. because it's really the only ''metallic-wax'', I would have to keep it but beside this, the difference in price is not worth the extra 1 month of durability I can get with fuzion instead of maxwax.

Or am I missing something here lol !? and how about xmt360?

jpegs13
06-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Stick with the Fuzion. It's the best I've found so far.

nothelle
06-16-2011, 12:55 AM
I came to a point where it's senseless to compare waxes, there are too many variables between price, result, durabilities, etc. etc. I was content with the result of Meguiars M16 or Collinite 915 then after that i think it's more curiosity and the need to collect waxes that dominates my mind.. Do Fuzion and Souveran look different? Do they look better than NXT 2.0 or justify its price? probably not but i have loads of fun trying to find out different waxes and having them sitting nicely in my cupboard..... But honestly, i should've stopped at M16/Colli915....

john b
06-16-2011, 01:33 AM
as far as pbma goes.its hard not to stay with max wax-i still have full tub of the old stuff and i just love the easy wipe off

Flannigan
06-16-2011, 06:23 AM
I agree with john b. IMO there is no reason to spend money on Souveran and Fuzion since MaxWax is such a great wax for a great price. MaxWax looks identical to Souveran plus it has better durability. Fuzion is a good wax, but honesty I don't think it's worth the price tag. Just my personal opinion.

BobbyG
06-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Waxes.

When you step back and think about it they all do one thing; add a layer of chemicals that will enhance the finish they're applied to.

Is it surprising that they all seem to work pretty well? Not at all. For the most part the ingredients in all waxes are pretty much the same but one has a bit more of this and a bit more of that. Scents and oils are added to enhance that wet look and make them smell great!

Marketing

Marketing is where they differ greatly. Graphic designs are eye catching with all the latest colors and some of the claims are outright comical. "My wax with withstand, fire, floods, hail, and make your finish nearly bulletproof!" "One application will protect your cars finish for 3 full years...I guarantee it!!"

Pricing

Pricing is something we've grown in to. We all know that the more expensive the product the better it is isn't it? In a word....NO One of the best waxes I've ever used is Collinite 845. This had to be the best bang for the buck on the market today. Collinite 845 exemplifies what's really needed to manufacture a quality wax at an affordable price.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

We all see things differently and is the only wax that you're personally satisfied with cost's you $500 for 3 ounces and providing your willing to pay the price...it's your money.

Bragging rights

Everyone loves to say; "I have the most expensive wax in my collection"
Susie has a Coach pocketbook but Meghan has a Louis Vuitton...

Differences

Are there differences? Yes

Some waxes are applied and should dry to a haze before removing while others are wipe on, wipe off. Some go on easily but are a little more difficult to remove. Do they all enhance the beauty and clarity of the finish? In my opinion yes. Do they all protect the finish? Yes, but to varying degrees.

I believe that some of the carnauba waxes give varying degrees of depth and depending on the purity of this ingredient combined with other chemicals can slightly give the finish a tint or warm glow.

XMT 360 is a nice wax especially for the price.

While I'm willing to and have paid nearly $200 for some of my waxes it's because I wanted to try it out and I could afford it, not because I felt this was the second coming of Christ in waxes. I've seen waxes out there sell for as much as $40,000 however they were limited production and came with a lifetime supply of free refills!!:eek:

All the waxes I've purchased through Autogeek work well and I have no complains whatsoever. Whether it be traditional paste or liquid wax they all work well.

It's all about marketing and profitability.......Don't get caught up in all the hoopla otherwise you'll go broke.

The bottom line is; what ever you buy must satisfy you.....

I like to try different waxes and some do look a little different on one color vs. the other but that's in my eyes.

My wax collection

I do have a few more but this gives me a few options to play with. :props:

Sealants are on a whole other shelf....:laughing:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Collection_RD20.jpg

cobraa
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks bobby and all others. I agree with you. all pbma's waxes apply the same and they are all WOWO so I didn't want to compare this all I was interesting is price/durability ( polymer added to the wax I guess)/look.

However, I don't like to have many namebrands( well I do... lol) but I prefer to have all from the same brands. i.e: pbma waxes, I have all 4 victoria waxes, had every pb waxes etc. Didn't like collonite 476 so IMO, I wont buy collonite again. Might check CG wax or maybe swisswax. Dunno lol

Flannigan
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Take this from a wax wh0re in the end most waxes look the same. I have spent more money on waxes than any other product. The majority of them look the same on a properly prepped vehicle. From PB Natty Blue to Zymol Royale. You are going to be hard pressed to tell a difference by just looking at them.

That being said I think at one point I got up close to having 50 different waxes.... since then I ended up selling some and giving some away b/c there really is no reason to have tons of different waxes. Now I rely on about 5 that I really like everything about, and it works out great.

BobbyG
06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I had another thought. Initially I thought it was gas but it wasn't!! :laughing:

A few years ago I decided to change course a bit in the way I applied waxes. I started applying all liquid sealants and waxes using my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a soft red Lake Country pad.

What I discovered was the the liquids went on smoothly, very thin, and were almost a pleasure to buff off. In contrast, I was applying my traditional paste waxes by hand with a applicator pad. In every case I found it more difficult to remove the paste waxes than their liquid counterparts..

While at the time this was seemingly insignificant a light came on and I wondered if the application method had more to do with the ease of removal than the product itself....BINGO!

With a clean red pad I scooped / scrapped some paste wax and placed it on the pad. As I began to apply this paste wax with the dual action polisher these bit of wax melted and laid down exactly the same was the liquids did....THIN and evenly. I also noticed that I was using less wax!

If required, I let the wax haze then buffed it off. I noticed a huge difference in how easily the paste wax buffed off when it was applied with a dual action polisher. Applying paste wax manually with a pad resulted in using and waisting good product and making it a chore to remove..

Two Collinite waxes I found to be more difficult to work with is Collinite 476 and Collinite 915. Both products remind me of waxes I used years ago. That said, when I applied them using the method I described most of what I didn't like about these two products vanished because it had more to do with the thickness of the application than the product itself.

As with all waxes and sealants, full coverage and a THIN coat is all that's needed. Applying them by hand will almost always guarantee inconsistency in film thickness and coverage making them more difficult to remove.

rwright
06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Take this from a wax wh0re (The Red Light District of Car Wax :laughing:) in the end most waxes look the same. I have spent more money on waxes than any other product. The majority of them look the same on a properly prepped vehicle. From PB Natty Blue to Zymol Royale. You are going to be hard pressed to tell a difference by just looking at them.

That being said I think at one point I got up close to having 50 different waxes.... since then I ended up selling some and giving some away b/c there really is no reason to have tons of different waxes. Now I rely on about 5 that I really like everything about, and it works out great.

Have you tried Migliore Presidenziale? I'm enjoying this one...:poke:

Flannigan
06-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Have you tried Migliore Presidenziale? I'm enjoying this one...:poke:
I will have to look when I get home. I had samples of a couple waxes from that line, but I can't remember the exact names.

02CAMSS
06-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I think you forgot to mention one of the best sleeper waxes they sell XMT 180. The Guys at my work like this one the best over all their other products and it looks killer on just about anything.

MCA
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Take this from a wax wh0re in the end most waxes look the same. I have spent more money on waxes than any other product. The majority of them look the same on a properly prepped vehicle. From PB Natty Blue to Zymol Royale. You are going to be hard pressed to tell a difference by just looking at them.

^^You hit it right on the head. All waxes look great on a properly prepped car...heck, most of them look the same after 1 day of driving. I never reached the "50 Wax Club" but I still purchased around 25 different waxes. Like you, i pretty much traded, sold, or gave most of them away - I have kept 5 or so because of either performance or sentimental value.

Pinnacle Souveran - Unmatched initial look
Pinnacle Paste Glaz - Before there were 5 PMBA waxes...there were only 2 - Still my go-to for silver cars
Meguiar's M16 - Great clarity with great durability
Meguiar's M26 - This wax + red car = something special
Natty's Blue - My sons love the smell.....still a good wax though

ScottB
06-16-2011, 07:39 PM
DP MaxWax is a sleeper hit too.

Belair
06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Your posts are always thought provoking Bobby. Thanks.