PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Wax residue reappearing after rain

csanford
06-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Dear Auto Geek Detailers:

I need some advice on wax residue that reappears after rain.
My procedures/products:
Waterless Wash (Detailers Pride)
Clean Microfiber every panel
Clay entire vehicle (Wolfgang)
Applied XMT 360 (by hand on one vehicle/by Porter Cable other vehicle)
Clean Microfiber every panel to remove remaining product
Follow up with Wax (Pinnacle)
Clean Microfiber every panel
Use clean Microfibers to give one more final light wipe down and getting all door jams, trunk lids, hood, gas cap etc...

Looks great until we get a rain. After that I find swipe marks all over the vehicle like I missed when removing product. I live in Jacksonville, FL and have used this process on an Saturn ION Light Blue, an Audi A4 Dark Blue and a Black/Silver Chevy Blazer.

I don't know if it is my process or environmental factors. Your advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
CoryFeed back please

loudog2
06-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Which pinnacle wax was it?

csanford
06-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Pinnacle Liquid Souverän

loudog2
06-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Did you let it dry? It could be humidity, paint temp, or applied too thick.

csanford
06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't have a lot of access to shade so drying is fast. Humidity definitely could be a problem. I did apply it very thin and machined until only a very little bit of product was left to come off.

I always swipe with my finger to check if it is still drying. I only work in small sections so it is more manageable.

loudog2
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
It could've flashed on the hot paint if you were not in the shade.

FUNX650
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Your lucky to have this residue of wax after a rain---some people swear that some, if not all, of their wax has disppeared :D.

Seriously, often by applying another coat of your wax (LSP) will alleviate this issue---as stated many times on this forum: "Thin is in", two coats for even/thorough coverage.

Try it--you may like it!

PS: If I may make a suggestion...Find you some shade and allow the vehicle's skin to cool before you start your detailing sessions for, IMO, better results.

Bob

csanford
06-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Thank you guys for your great suggestions. I will seek shade some how. I am also curious to what "Flashing" is? Thanks again!

loudog2
06-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Instead of a slow dry like it is supposed to do. It dries instantly from the heat of the paint.

BorisC
06-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I will seek shade some how.

What about a portable canopy? You can get a 12'x12' for about $100 or a 10'x10' even less. They're always on sale somewhere.

csanford
06-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Great suggestion! I live in an apartment with strict rules that prevent me from using a canopy. I wanted to purchase one for when I detail away from home but can't find one that is a one user setup. They all require 2 people (according to the box/instructions) to set up. I have been trying to think of a vice grip type device to mount to my SUV to hold one leg to see if that would work as my second pair of hands.

CharlieU
06-19-2011, 08:02 AM
First, I agree with the folks who think you are putting the wax on too thick.

I live in JAX and have found that the only times that are good for extensive detail work is the spring and fall. Perfect temp and humidity levels. In the summer, you want to wash either very early in the morning as the sun is coming up or late in the afternoon when the sun is going down. Use the shadows from your apartment building to keep things cooler. Every few weeks I use a "Quick Wax" to extend the life of the LSP I used in the spring. Since you are working outside, use a clean fluffy microfiber to lightly dust any horizontal panels before using the quick wax. I use a polymer LSP as they last better through the summer heat and rain. I also use a detailer spray after washing and drying since the hard water can leave some spots.

The winter is easy to get through since we get some really nice days and you have the time to add another coat of your LSP. In the summer you need to work quickly because even in the shade it can be just too hot.

mg6045
06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I think you should do a quick detailer wipe down a few hours (4 to 8 ?) after you wax the car. This will ensure you remove and level all remaining residue and wax.

I personally like Optimum Instant Detailer.
Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray, instant detail spray, spray detailer, waterless wash, opt quick detailer (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-17oz.html)

But for quicker application and wipeoff you could try a product like the FK-425.
Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine, finish care quick detailer, ultra slick detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-425-detailer.html)

If you want something with a bit more cleaning power that will not add any gloss to your wax job, I would suggest Poolboys World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash.
Poorboy's Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash: Just spray and wipe away dirt and grime with this quick cleaner! qed, poorboys waterless wipe, poorboys quick (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsaw16.html)