PDA

View Full Version : Business Insurance?

mcpp66
06-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I want to start doing this on a very part-time basis for some extra cash, perhaps just one or two cars per weekend. But I'd also l like to have some weekends off, again, for me this is just a hobby to make a few extra dollars with. Anyhow, I have a dilemma because I don't want to spend too much money on insurance but I don't want to turn away paint correction jobs (with a DA, that is) either. However I don't feel comfortable in doing that kind of work without coverage. I know a lot of you on this board are also part-time detailers, so what do you guys do?

jjkacz
06-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I looked into getting the appropriate insurance and found it to be a little pricey. I think that it was around $1,400 a year. I am just doing it on the weekends here and there like you and didn't find it necessary.

dad07
06-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Get Insurance! It may be a expense but if you'll sleep better at night that your covered than get it!I work part time from home and I have a rider on my homeowners policy to cover myself.I'm covered for 1 million in liability.

mcpp66
06-14-2011, 08:16 PM
It's probably not necessary, but anything can happen and when it does I'd feel better being covered. I really want to get into paint correction but it would probably be foolish of me to do so without insurance. What the heck is a guy supposed to do? The only idea I came up with is to charge much cheaper rates but in exchange get people to sign a waiver. In other words, if people want their paint corrected I'd be glad to do it at a cheaper price, however they'll assume responsibility. But who in their right mind would do that?

dad07
06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
It's probably not necessary, but anything can happen and when it does I'd feel better being covered. I really want to get into paint correction but it would probably be foolish of me to do so without insurance. What the heck is a guy supposed to do? The only idea I came up with is to charge much cheaper rates but in exchange get people to sign a waiver. In other words, if people want their paint corrected I'd be glad to do it at a cheaper price, however they'll assume responsibility. But who in their right mind would do that?

Nobody!

mcpp66
06-14-2011, 08:27 PM
So how much should someone who's doing this part-time pay for reasonable insurance?

chubs
06-14-2011, 08:51 PM
From what I've asked and looked into the insurance will just cover the car if an accident happens to it. Like if it gets stolen in your possession or your house burns down with it in there. Or if your driving the car to detail it then you need insurance. The clients or your normal auto insurance doesn't cover you if your driving a car for business purposes.
So far that I know of there is NO insurance if you wreck someones paint by correction with a buffer. You assume all responsibilities when working on a car. That can from my State Farm insurance agent. So far he has never steered me wrong and he even sends business my way and I just do this as a hobby making a little cash on the side. By no means am I running a full time business doing this. Just a weekend warrior.