PDA

View Full Version : Black Audi New guy help!

Pages : [1] 2

TN_Soljah808
06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
2006 Audi A4 Black. The Audi has swirls, scratches, bird droppings, and water marks.

That is my vehicle that I would love to make look new again. I love this vehicle and want to spend some money in order to make it look. But I want to learn how to do it myself so I don't have to pay someone every time it gets nasty like it is now.

Below is what I have put together on what I know i need to purchase. However, it's incomplete because I'm overwhelmed with the amount of options for products.

Should I buy a complete kits that AG (Wolfgang, Poorboys) offers or put together something special for the Audi? Feed back please

Mike Phillips
06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
2006 Audi A4 Black. The Audi has swirls, scratches, bird droppings, and water marks.

I looked at the finish of your black car in the attached thumbnail and you're right, it's atrocious!

Kompressor pads work on DA Polishers but they tend to throw little dots of product more than the other style of pads. I would go with CCS, Flat pads or Hydro-Tech pads, they'll all get the job done, more important is using good products and good technique.

If you get the Griot's Garage Polisher it comes with a 6" backing plate from the factory, so you'll want to get 6.5" pads. The GG is best able to keep pads rotating under pressure but it will have an easier time rotating 5.5" pads. You're choice, both will work but if you opt for 5.5" pads you have to get a 5" backing plate.

For chemicals, the paint looks pretty thrashed... you're probably best off starting with an aggressive compound like either M105 or Ultimate Compound, most people state they think the UC is easier to work with than the M105, might want to start another thread and ask for opinion.

Another option would be to go with the Wolfgang Twins, the Total Swirl Remover isn't as aggressive as a true compound but it really works great, has a long buffing cycle and real easy wipe-off, these are all things that are important if you're new to machine polishing.

Plus I've never seen any issues with micro-marring on any paint system using either of the Twins, i.e. Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze.

I like recommending them because the feedback is overwhelmingly positive and I'll include some links to success stories all by people new to machine polishing, take a moment to read their testimonies as you want to tackle this project once and do it right the first time.

Success Stories

Two Part Success Story

Getting my Griot's DA Polisher today and need some direction? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/35518-getting-my-griot-s-da-polisher-today-need-some-direction.html)
Getting a feel for the Griots (pics) (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/35563-getting-feel-griots-pics.html)

New - Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wolfgang-car-care/34641-wolfgang-twins.html)

Lessons I learned from a Black 2009 BMW 550i (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/33599-lessons-i-learned-black-2009-bmw-550i.html)

How To Remove Horrible Rotary Buffer Swirl Marks out of a 350Z using the Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21413-horrible-swirl-marks.html)

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25226-proof-you-can-do-joe-detailer-black-porsche-turned-into-black-pearl.html)

Mike Phillips
06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
This thread goes through everything you want to do to your car using a DA Polisher with lots of pictures.

How to approach buffing out your car for the first time (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/36242-new-detailing-my-plan-attack-good-one.html)

:xyxthumbs:

embolism
06-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Is that a hole in your bumper? Maybe a cover fell off?

Be prepared for OCD once you get it clean and polished. Now that my car is polished, I see every speck of pollen that lands on it and it's bothering me just as much as the swirls did before!

aargh!

dougaross
06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
On my Audi, and with my skill level, I find M105 preferable toi TSR or UC.

TN_Soljah808
06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Mike thanks for the help.

I will be going for the 5.5 pads. What backing plate would I need? A link would be great.

I also will also get the twins. Will there be anything else I would Need in ordered to make this job successful? Like WG Deep Gloss?

I also noticed the twins are on back order. Any word on availability?

And yes that is a hole. However it's just a cap that fell off and I need to order a new one.

Thanks

TN_Soljah808
06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Updated purchase below!

Also my plan is this

Wash

WG Auto Bathe

Clay

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Clean, Polish, LSP

M105
M205
Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Wheels & Tires

Meguiars Wheel Brightener

Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

Bugs

Stoner Tarminator

Does anyone see a problem with my plan? Also anyone see a problem with my pad choice or am I missing a color? I decided to go with 105/205 because the WG Twins are on back order and I want to star ASAP.

Your advice is appreciated!

Flash Gordon
06-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I would add 3 - 6.5" Surbuf pads and you should be set :dblthumb2:

[TN_Soljah808;485768]Updated purchase below!

Also my plan is this

Wash

WG Auto Bathe
Clay

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Clean, Polish, LSP

M105
M205
Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Wheels & Tires

Meguiars Wheel Brightener

Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel
Bugs

Stoner Tarminator
Does anyone see a problem with my plan? Also anyone see a problem with my pad choice or am I missing a color? I decided to go with 105/205 because the WG Twins are on back order and I want to star ASAP.

Your advice is appreciated![/QUOTE]

TN_Soljah808
06-15-2011, 08:43 PM
So the surbuf pads will be used with the M105? I'm guessing that it's the most aggressive pad.

The question is this. Should I wait for a possible fathers day sale?

john b
06-15-2011, 09:45 PM
i would consider getting both uc and a 8oz.of 105-the uc will be much easier to work with if your new to polishing-that will give you a couple ways to go

Flash Gordon
06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
So the surbuf pads will be used with the M105? I'm guessing that it's the most aggressive pad.

The question is this. Should I wait for a possible fathers day sale?

Yes, Yes & Yes ;)

What other colors did you order and how many?

embolism
06-15-2011, 10:03 PM
do you really need the wheel brightener? That is pretty powerful stuff that is not really used for weekly cleaning, just the really bad wheels.

TN_Soljah808
06-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I ordered only m105 based on Mikes advice. I have been thinking about the UC as well but I don't no if I should.

I order yellow, orange, white, green, grey and blue. One of each. I got the LC 5.5 and the backing plate.

I got wheel brightener because owning the car since 2007 I still have brake dust that won't come off and it bothers me a lot. Any of suggestions that will get the job done? Also my 4runner is an off-road and daily driver.

I think I'll submit my order tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

dougaross
06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
I ordered only m105 based on Mikes advice. I have been thinking about the UC as well but I don't no if I should.

I order yellow, orange, white, green, grey and blue. One of each. I got the LC 5.5 and the backing plate.

I got wheel brightener because owning the car since 2007 I still have brake dust that won't come off and it bothers me a lot. Any of suggestions that will get the job done? Also my 4runner is an off-road and daily driver.

I think I'll submit my order tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
I would get 2ea of yellow, orange, white pads

TN_Soljah808
06-15-2011, 11:41 PM
I would get 2ea of yellow, orange, white pads

I added more pads.

Thanks