PDA

View Full Version : Best cleaner to remove rust from chrome plated wheels?

zerok
01-16-2007, 01:46 AM
I will admit that I am a total noob when it comes to wheel care, if I knew that the steel wheels would rust like this I wouldn't have bought them, but they were the cheapest and I'm a poop college student. My wheels are cragar Series 330. I've used turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover, but it just takes to much time to get just alittle bit off. So I was hoping some one could recomend a great rust remover and some thing to protect them from rusting when ever it rains or snows. Thanx

wytstang
01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Is this light surface rust or is this nice and thick?

zerok
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
On the center caps there is just light surface rust but the biggest problem area is the grove aread see picture http://www.sabrasphotography.com/images/series330_160x160.gifwhere I've added some red to point out the grove area. Thats where the thick rust is.

cking526
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Naval jelly is good at getting rust off of wheels. It will take some elbow grease though.

ScottB
01-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I would consider P21S Polishing Soap. Also a good chrome polish and a Mothers Powerball should help. If its that bad, maybe its time to replace ??

wytstang
01-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Naval jelly is good at getting rust off of wheels. It will take some elbow grease though.
Exactly what I was going to suggest if they are bad, I had a set of S/S Cragars with some really bad rust. Used some Naval jelly as per direction and keeping a close eye on them and it worked well. I used it years ago so i have no idea if they have chaged the formula so I would suggest you do a small are then inspect it well before doing a larger area.