PDA

View Full Version : Prewashing portions of a car

dschribs
06-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I have always had a few areas on most cars that I have done that usually need some special attention prior to the actual wash: front grill, emblems, inside the gas cap, spots where old wax may have accumulated (such as where the door handles attach to the door)

What product do you guys suggest to "pre-clean" these areas. Ideally something that would would well when agitated with a soft brush....

I have heard that P21S Total Auto wash works well but it's not cheap.

Can I use (green) Meg's APC? If so, at what dilution ratio?

Or - something else entirely. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!

ScubaCougr
06-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Will be interesting to see answers.

Might try something paint-safe but a little more powerful like Poorboy's Bug Squash, or an APC diluted to paint-safe levels. Lately I've been auditioning Zep Citrus from Home Depot. Not bad at 4:1, and cheap in a 'test quart' if you hate it.

embolism
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Is zep citrus at 4:1 paint safe?

I used it with Dawn to strip my lsp and figured it was ok but was reading about 64:1 type dilutions yesterday...

dreamps
06-14-2011, 12:51 PM
i would use optimum power clean. it is getting a lot of great reviews

ScubaCougr
06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Is zep citrus at 4:1 paint safe?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/36063-apc-question-2.html

See post #15 of thread above from Richy. Sounded like you were wanting something cheap but strong like a tar-remover for tough areas. Thread above is where I got my inspiration. I don't let it dwell more than a minute or so, and would be careful in the direct sun. Probably a good caution for all such products, and Your Mileage May Vary.

Cat ji
06-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Depends how dirty the plastic grilles are and how much dirt is embedded in the paint enclosed by the badges. Even for normal washing, brush is needed for honeycomb grilles and the edges of badges.

SeaJay's
06-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I use both poorboys bug squash and old diluted 5:1. The opc I don't let dwell for long.