PDA

View Full Version : will wolfgang paintwork polish hurt a clear coat finish?

samhwheel
06-13-2011, 11:02 PM
I Have A 2010 Mustang. Kona Blue. It Is A Clear Coat Finish. It Has No Marks Or Scratches On It I Just Want To Get Off Any Old Wax Or Sealent Before I Wax It Again. Will This Product Take Off Any Paint Or Hurt The Clear Coat Finish? Is There A Better Product For A Blue Color Car?

Thank You.

Dubbin1
06-14-2011, 12:12 AM
LOL no its not going to hurt it one bit. Almost every car out there these days have a clear coat on them ;)

Matt
06-14-2011, 04:57 AM
LOL no its not going to hurt it one bit. Almost every car out there these days have a clear coat on them ;)

Haha :iagree:

BobbyG
06-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Sam,

These products are designed to be used on all automotive finishes especially the new clear coats....You'' be just fine...:props:

Post some photos when you have some!! :dblthumb2:

CEE DOG
06-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Sam, don't worry. It is perfect safe and is designed for your clearcoat. As long as you wash your car properly first and use a clean quality applicator to apply followed by clean quality mf towels to remove you won't have any issues.

Mike Phillips
06-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I Have A 2010 Mustang. Kona Blue. It Is A Clear Coat Finish. It Has No Marks Or Scratches On It I Just Want To Get Off Any Old Wax Or Sealent Before I Wax It Again. Will This Product Take Off Any Paint Or Hurt The Clear Coat Finish? Is There A Better Product For A Blue Color Car?

Thank You.

You're question is a great question since clear coat finishes are scratch-sensitive, that is they scratch easily, it's only normal to want to ask a question about a product before you use it on a clear coat finish in excellent condition.

The Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer is non-abrasive, by itself it won't inflict scratches into your car's clear coat finish. It's important however to make sure the paint is surgically clean before hand or machine applying any product because one small particle of dirt trapped between your application pad or buffing pad can inflict swirls and scratches.

It's also important to make sure your applicator pad is clean and even your hands are clean. One thing I share all the time is the importance of working clean because while it's easy to inflict swirls and scratches into a clear coat finish, buffing out an entire car to remove swirls and scratches is for most people an all day job.

When using a light paint cleaner, you want to make sure you use enough product on the paint that there's plenty of lubricity so your pad glides easily over the surface. Don't overuse the product but also don't under-use the product. Use the ample amount.

From this article,

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/26962-how-much-product-do-i-use-my-da-polisher.html)

Use an "ample" amount of product
When I say use an ample amount of product this means don’t use too much product and don’t use to little product.

From The Free Dictionary.com

am·ple
adjective

1. Of large or great size, amount, extent, or capacity: an ample living room.

a. Large in degree, kind, or quantity: an ample reward.
b. More than enough: ample evidence.

3. Fully sufficient to meet a need or purpose: had ample food for the party.

Out of the above definitions, I'm using the 3rd definition.

Using too much product
If you use too much you can hyper-lubricate the surface and this will make it more difficult for the abrasives to abrade the surface as they’ll tend to want to glide or slip over the surface instead of bite into the surface.

Using too little product
If you use too little product there won’t be enough lubrication to enable the buffing pad to rotate and thus engage the abrasives against the surface so they can bite into and remove small particles of paint.

And here's some tips on using a hand applied paint cleaner,

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/26612-how-use-hand-applied-abrasive-polish-paint-cleaner-hand.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
06-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Also, just as important as applying a product is carefully wiping it off...

I discussed this in this thread yesterday for the owner of a black Lamborghini Murcielago who was seeking help on how to apply Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze and Collinite 476S.

The techniques shared in the below thread on how to wipe off a wax or paint sealant carefully can also be used to wipe off any paint care product.

Here's the thread, see post #6

How to break open a coating of wax and remove it by creeping out... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28204-how-break-open-coating-wax-remove-creeping-out.html)

Plus lots of helpful links throughout the thread but also in post #6

:)

samhwheel
06-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Thank's For all Your Help. Can't Wait To Order It And Than Try It.

Thank's Again