PDA

View Full Version : I accidentally scrubbed off my tire's sidewall

Pages : [1] 2

Silverstone
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I had applied black onyx to my fairly new not even two month old Continental DWS tires but this brownish crud kept showing through, so I first washed them with car soap, and then Megs APC and a scuff pad, but they still weren't clean. So I got some Mothers tire and wheel cleaner, a stiff plastic brush, and scrubbed them down. They came nice and clean but when I was done and applied the dressing again I could see that the smooth surface of the rubber was now rougher and wouldn't take a shine. Then I saw where I missed a couple small areas that still have the smooth finish on them and realized what happened.

I didn't even know this was possible with just a plastic bristled brush. :(

I don't suppose there's any way to fix this so I guess this should be a warning to others. Watch out what kind of brush you use. This was not an actual tire brush made for sidewalls.

BobbyG
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Tire sidewalls are designed to be very strong to handle both speed and lateral loads as you steer. I'm not certain what's happened and a photo or two would be of help.

If your tires are that new I'd take them back and have the installer take a look at them. Scrubbing a sidewall to clean it should not have any affect whatsoever unless you're using a wire brush but not a plastic scrub brush...

I use a standard over the counter stiff brush to wash all of mine and have been doing so without incident for 40 years....

Flash Gordon
06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
I had applied black onyx to my fairly new not even two month old Continental DWS tires but this brownish crud kept showing through, so I first washed them with car soap, and then Megs APC and a scuff pad, but they still weren't clean. So I got some Mothers tire and wheel cleaner, a stiff plastic brush, and scrubbed them down. They came nice and clean but when I was done and applied the dressing again I could see that the smooth surface of the rubber was now rougher and wouldn't take a shine. Then I saw where I missed a couple small areas that still have the smooth finish on them and realized what happened.

I didn't even know this was possible with just a plastic bristled brush. :(

I don't suppose there's any way to fix this so I guess this should be a warning to others. Watch out what kind of brush you use. This was not an actual tire brush made for sidewalls.

In this case, a picture would be worth a thousand words :Picture:

Old Tiger
06-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree with Bobby. The brown stuff is called blooming. Amazing Roll Off takes care of it without too much effort. There is a tire coating called Tuff Stuff that will probably resolve your issue.

fancyfootwork
06-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I have the same Continental DWS. Heres a pic of them 10 mins after install ..

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5182/5562156066_fec02d42c7_z.jpg

I wash my wheels with Megs APC, Daytona speed master, and mothers wheel/tire brush. I haven't had any browning issues. My choice tire gel is DP Gloss Tire Gel and I also use Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

To start, what gel or spray are you using? Sprays should almost rinse off and definitely should come off with a light scrubbing.

Dubbin1
06-13-2011, 08:04 PM
I agree with Bobby. The brown stuff is called blooming. Amazing Roll Off takes care of it without too much effort. There is a tire coating called Tuff Stuff that will probably resolve your issue.

What I think he is saying is that he scratched the living crap out of the tire with the brush he used.

Don't think a plastic brush wont hurt the rubber on a sidewall because it can and will.

Flannigan
06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I would say the scuff pad is to blame. Thats an awfully aggressive tool for cleaning tires IMO

dad07
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
What I think he is saying is that he scratched the living crap out of the tire with the brush he used.

Don't think a plastic brush wont hurt the rubber on a sidewall because it can and will.

BINGO! He says he used a SCRATCH PAD first with apc then he used Mothers with a PLASTIC BRUSH,and then they came clean, Then the tire dressing he used made it look like they were scratched.

To the OP what did you use for a dressing?

And some Pics will help you get this corrected.

Dubbin1
06-13-2011, 09:04 PM

I don't see how any pictures will get it corrected, he damaged the rubber to the point of not being repairable.

Scarelane
06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Not sure I would ever use a scuff pad on my tires, no matter how dirty. Tough lesson learned I guess....

FUNX650
06-13-2011, 09:34 PM
I could see that the smooth surface of the rubber was now rougher

We use to wet-sand the sidewalls of new blackwall tires to get a nice uncluttered, smooth look using a rotary/grinder. Nowadays, with the "safer" aspects, usage of a DA, 80 grit sanding paper (3M), a spray bottle of water, and, if the tires are mounted (inflated tires are easier to wet-sand, IMO) taping off the wheels, and about 20 minutes of sanding per tire can produce the same smooth look. Used the same procedures for getting a wider whitewall on whitewall tires. Also, shaving tires to 'true' them is not uncommon.

If you so desire, and you want to take the time and do all four tires, this could be an option. I would suggest: Practice on used tires if unsure of your skill level.

Bob

fancyfootwork
06-14-2011, 06:00 PM
We use to wet-sand the sidewalls of new blackwall tires to get a nice uncluttered, smooth look using a rotary/grinder. Nowadays, with the "safer" aspects, usage of a DA, 80 grit sanding paper (3M), a spray bottle of water, and, if the tires are mounted (inflated tires are easier to wet-sand, IMO) taping off the wheels, and about 20 minutes of sanding per tire can produce the same smooth look. Used the same procedures for getting a wider whitewall on whitewall tires. Also, shaving tires to 'true' them is not uncommon.

If you so desire, and you want to take the time and do all four tires, this could be an option. I would suggest: Practice on used tires if unsure of your skill level.

Bob

Sounds so risky to do while inflated.

Silverstone
06-14-2011, 07:35 PM
BINGO! He says he used a SCRATCH PAD first with apc then he used Mothers with a PLASTIC BRUSH,and then they came clean, Then the tire dressing he used made it look like they were scratched.

To the OP what did you use for a dressing?

They were OK after the scuff pad, it was the brush that did it. The dressing is pinnacle black onyx.

What happen is the sidewall has been roughed up. These tires seem to have a different kind of rubber or something. Look at the other posters pics of this tire and you'll see it's a hazy grey. When I used the brush I was removing the dressing I already applied (PBO) and what appeared to be APC residue and some dirt underneath. These DWS tires never took a good shine with my normal dressing (303) and I've heard others say the same thing about them. Again look at the pic above.

Rei86
06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Silverstone
06-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Honestly you'll just see a matte black sidewall. Doesn't look bad, it just doesn't shine at all.

I'll see if I can get a good pic of the sliver I missed with the brush that does shine a bit with the surrounding matte area.