PDA

View Full Version : Leather Conditioner = Slip n Slide!

cmd is me
06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
I bought a 3 yr old car and the leather felt dry. I applied some Maguires Leather Conditioner (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G18616). Now the seats are "ArmorAlled!" They're shiny and super slippery, not soft and plush. They squeak if you move.

What should I do to
1) get the slippery Maguires toned down and
2) restore the leather back to the factory softness?

Thanks.

Flash Gordon
06-13-2011, 09:22 AM
I bought a 3 yr old car and the leather felt dry. I applied some Maguires Leather Conditioner (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G18616). Now the seats are "ArmorAlled!" They're shiny and super slippery, not soft and plush. They squeak if you move.

What should I do to
1) get the slippery Maguires toned down and
2) restore the leather back to the factory softness?

Thanks.

Get a bucket of soapy water along with a mitt and wipe the seats down. Come back over it with a dry cotton towel. You may have to repeat this process a couple of times to remove the slime

Try Connelleys Hyde Food or Lexol

LegacyGT
06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I am now a huge fan of Ultima Interior Guard Plus (thanks Corey) they give the seats and trim an awesome satin feel, but not greasy or slippery.

For removal of the Meguiars (or anything) I would use OPC 3:1, then follow up with a damp MF soaked in hot water.

Dr Oldz
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I am now a huge fan of Ultima Interior Guard Plus (thanks Corey) they give the seats and trim an awesome satin feel, but not greasy or slippery.

For removal of the Meguiars (or anything) I would use OPC 3:1, then follow up with a damp MF soaked in hot water.
:iagree:

Love the feel and protection that Ultima gives.

CEE DOG
06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

:iagree: Thanks Bill :props:

I also agree with Bill about using OPC 3:1 to remove the "grease". Followed by a wet cloth. Completely dry before applying UIGP.

cmd is me
06-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the seats are like slick vinyl now!

What is OPC?

A couple years back I noticed how soft my wife's Coach purse was after using the leather conditioner that came with it. I tried it on my old car and the seats were new Lexus leather soft! I much prefer that.

Anyone try some of the horse saddle products at TSC? They seem to know leather.

dougaross
06-13-2011, 09:57 AM

I guess it must depend on the seat leather - I find UIGP to be more slippery than I care for. Maybe after a few in and outs it will be better.

Flash Gordon
06-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, the seats are like slick vinyl now! Thanks for the advice. I'll look into those and get out the suds.

A couple years back I noticed how soft my wife's Coach purse was after using the leather conditioner that came with it. I tried it on my old car and the seats were new Lexus leather soft! I much prefer that.

Regular ole saddle soap works well too

cmd is me
06-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Regular ole saddle soap works well too

TSC is just down the street, which beats online ordering.

Lexol Conditioner Spray For Horse Saddle, 1/2 L - 5024758 | Tractor Supply Company (http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-tack/tack-cleaners/lexol-conditioner-spray-for-horse-saddle-1-2-l-5024758)

CEE DOG
06-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I guess it must depend on the seat leather - I find UIGP to be more slippery than I care for. Maybe after a few in and outs it will be better.

Thats very odd! UIGP Slippery? Weird

I would be happy to trade you for your UIGP if you still have a good amount left.

Anything you're looking for?

PM me

maluminas
06-13-2011, 10:19 AM
OPC = Optimum Power Clean

Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html)