PDA

View Full Version : New guy here with some questions

4Runnin
06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here just joined yesterday. Well I wanted to get started detailing my rigs so for my birthday I went ahead and spent a few bucks on myself. Ordered the Flex 3401 with the Meguiars 105/205 combo. Also picked up some natty's red and a few extra pads etc.

A little background: My truck is a 2010 Toyota 4Runner in Blizzard Pearl white. Washed her all last summer and fall with ONR, clayed with Pinnacle products, and waxed with Optimum spray wax and topped it with Opti-seal. Well lately I started slacking on the maintenance so I have some bird bomb etching, some other etching, a few light scratches and some minor swirling, probably from the few hand washes I brought her to :nomore:.

I hope I made the right choice going with the Flex machine and the Meg 105/205 combo as a first timer... I've never polished before so I hope this works out. I'm a very hands on fix-it kinda guy, and I'm a perfectionist so atleast I have that going for me to start off :laughing:

A few questions.. Only certain areas of the truck are in need of real correction, like the passenger side doors, back hatch and front bumper.. on those areas should I go 105>205 or just start out with the 205 and see how it goes? Is it bad to polish one part of the car with a more aggressive polish than another part?

Last weekend I washed, clayed and then used turtle wax bug and tar remover to get all the bugs, grime, tar and other crap off but still some stubborn stuff remains. Tiny specs that won't come out even with elbow grease. Some are black and some are orange/rust in color. They come out if I use my fingernail but they laugh at the clay and T.W. Is it OK to polish over the remaining stubborn spots?

After polishing is done, Do I apply my sealant (opti-seal) and then the natty's red, or vice versa? Should I even apply the opti-seal at all? If yes/no, recommend another sealant/wax combo that would work well with pearl white?

And finally, For you pros that have experience with Toyotas pearl white, can you offer tips for what to watch out for (as far as hardness) or anything like that? Also can you tell me what products you've used on pearl whites to get the it really impressive looking

dougaross
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Always try the least aggressive polish first. The flex combo you ordered will take car of almost all the situations you might encounter. Be careful when compounding across sharp body contours. There is less paint on the edge. I usually put a thin strip of tape on the edge.

Iron x will get rid of those orange specs.

Sealant then wax

Don M
06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
After polishing is done, Do I apply my sealant (opti-seal) and then the natty's red, or vice versa? Should I even apply the opti-seal at all? If yes/no, recommend another sealant/wax combo that would work well with pearl white?

Always go carnuaba on top of synthetic, the carnuaba will stick to the synthetic but the synthetic will not stick to the carnuaba.