PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Mat Cleaning

spitshine1
06-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hello,
I need some help.
What is the best way to clean rubber mats, so they look new?
Do i need dry off with a towel then dress them+
I am getting alot of water stains on the mats after they dry.
I have been air drying them.

Thanks for your suggestions.

C. Charles Hahn
06-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Spray the mats down with water, spray on some APC and scrub with a brush. Rinse with water, dry with a towel and if necessary dress them.

Just be sure to wipe off excess because you don't want the dressing to make the mats slippery.

LuxuryMobile
06-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I have been using APC and/or Meg Vinyl and Rubber cleaner and conditioner #40, both with great success.

Dubbin1
06-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I would not recommend dressing the mats at all. Not matter how much you wipe them off they will be slick as snot.

DaGonz
06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Spray the mats down with water, spray on some APC and scrub with a brush. Rinse with water, dry with a towel and if necessary dress them.

Just be sure to wipe off excess because you don't want the dressing to make the mats slippery.

After I clean rubber mats, I shake them, then use my leaf blower to remove any water left on the surface.

LegacyGT
06-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I think (need confirmation on this) you can use Ultima Interior Guard Plus on mats, have not tried myself yet.

Dubbin1
06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I think (need confirmation on this) you can use Ultima Interior Guard Plus on mats, have not tried myself yet.

You can if you want super slick floor matts. Ask me how I know :D

C. Charles Hahn
06-11-2011, 07:44 PM
After I clean rubber mats, I shake them, then use my leaf blower to remove any water left on the surface.

That's certainly effective, but I've always felt it takes longer than just taking a bath towel or something similar-sized to them. Not like I have to use good MF towels for that purpose.

James K
06-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I answered in your other post, but I will answer here as well. I always dry mine with my metro sidekick or leaf blower. I highly recommend against dressing them. Slick stuff on mats means slick stuff on feet, means slick stuff on pedals. No Bueno.

jimbo585
06-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Ive never had a problem with spotting and this may sound rediculous, but all I have ever used was some dry tide laundry detergent sprinkled on the mat then scrubbed with a brush. I just lay them flat in the garage to dry and they come good as new.

Gondee
06-12-2011, 12:15 AM
I find that a simple wet wipe down with your interior APC of choice, followed by a steam cleaning gets the job done. They look new afterward =)

Flannigan
06-12-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37010-rubber-mat-cleaning.html

Probably no need for two threads on the same topic.

That being said I don't dress rubber mats on customer cars. Too much liability if their foot slips or something. But on my cars I use 303 and make sure its dry to the touch before I put them back in the car. No problems so far...

J1nx93
06-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I'll use a water hose, apc, and a scrub brush first thing on them. I'll let them air dry and then maybe put 303 on them. I make sure to wipe 303 off so it's not slick.

tvg
06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
I use DP Interior Surface Protectant - the old Detailer's Pride version - on my black mats, they are not slippery at all. I used 303 before on the mats, but DP Interior Surface Protectant is much better and a lot less slippery. The new version (Detailer's Pro) might be same, but I have not tried that one yet.