PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Repairing Crack in Dashboard of 1994 Camaro

DarleenW
06-08-2011, 10:47 PM
OK,...new problem/question regarding my '94 Camaro. Over the years, i neglected to put up a sun shade to reflect the harsh sunlight off my windshield and prevent the sun from cracking the vinyl dashboard (the section that meets closest to the window, not the entire dashboard..i'm not sure what that section is called) I have a horrible crack now that you can't see when it's cool and not sunny out, but when the weather is sweltering like today, the crack shows and it's driving me nuts! Yes,...i know i should have been diligent about protecting the dashboard with a shade (i always conditioned the area with Armour All and Mequiar's protectant, but it still cracked for me...Blah!!

Aside from trying to track down a replacement for it, would i be crazy to very carefully put a thin line of crazy glue along the crack when it's cooler out, hold it together for a bit, then put some sort of protectant on it to prevent it from re-opening? I know it's an old car and things will happen over the years (and believe me, i keep it in the best shape i can, for,...dare i say it, a GIRL!!! LOL!! ) I've always been fanatical about my cars and took really good care of all of them (i picked that obsession up from my good friend John who was a fanatic about his cars...learned a lot from him!!) , but this Camaro is my favorite (next to my RX-7) and i want to take care of some of the problems that have popped up over the past years.

I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and have gotten some great information. Glad i joined and hope y'all can help me with the problems i have questions aboutl. I know i'll get expert advice from y'all!

Thanks again for any suggestions you can give me to possibly fix this horrible crack...it's driving me nuts!!Im the MAN

CEE DOG
06-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Darlene, I'm sorry the first response your getting isn't going to be of much use. I'm not as knowledgable on this issue as some. I just wanted to say welcome to AG and I'm sure you'll get some good respsonses tommorrow.

I don't think I would put any glue on it personally.

Can you take a picture of it? That would help all readers in determining if there could be some kind of temporary repair made. Have you called junkyards and parts depots to see if you can find the dash piece? Is it vinyl? Is the crack just a crack or is one side raised above the other slightly. Is it hard plastic thats cracked or just the upper layer of a vinyl? Some will know these answers based on the Make and year but I don't. A picture will help.

Good luck!

DarleenW
06-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Oh,...Here's another problem i'm having finding a part that is missing. The scoops (or are they called extractor's.?..yes, i' m not sure of the proper names for certain parts...sorry!!) on the front hood had a thin, plastic strip that was pointed on the ends and clicked into to middle of the "scoop" I'm going to stop at a Chevy dealership tomorrow for them to look at what i'm talking about, but i have a feeling this part is no longer available....If y'all can help me with the name of the part (hope i described it well enough for you to know what i'm talking about!) and where i might be able to buy two of them, i'd appreciate it! Someone suggested EBAY, but i really need to know the name of the part before i look there....Will see what the dealer tells me tomorrow too, but from the sounds of it, Cheverolet discontinues a lot of their older model car part....WHy??? I think a lot of the older model cars are beautiful!!

Hope y'all can help me with this silly question too...Trying to get this car in shape and want to replace any little thing that bugs me!! I appreciate all you help with these questions! Glad i found this forum!!

DarleenW
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Hey Corey!! Thanks for the quick response!!

Yeah, i was ascared to try the Krazy Glue on the crack, which is why i've waited and asked on the forum. It's the hard vinyl piece that runs from the windshield to where the dashboard begins...and yes, it opens a bit one side higher than the other when the weather is hot, then closes up again when it's cool out. i'll take a close up photo of it and post it tomorrow...The crack just appeared last year and i went bezerk when i saw it! It will show up great tomorrow because it's supposed to be almost 100 degrees tomorrow..AUGGGH!!

I'll post photos tomorrow....Thanks for your help and the nice welcoming to the forum!! I enjoy reading all the posts and they are helpful...

C. Charles Hahn
06-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Looks like the hood part you want is the "SCREEN, HOOD AIR EXTRACTOR"

GM part numbers are 10182044 for the Right-Hand screen, 10182045 for the Left-Hand screen.

The parts are discontinued from GM, but there appear to be a few sources and if you're lucky, your dealer may have some NOS parts in stock. They're about $7 each.

Good luck! Not sure what to tell you on the dash without seeing it.