PDA

View Full Version : Paint chip

infinitiM
06-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey all,
Horror of horrors happened today. My 2 month old 2012 M37x got a rock chip on the hood. Before I have a repaint done I want to ask a question. Is there any chance that such a thing can be detailed out instead? There chips are close together and small in size,but you can see the metal. The Infiniti boyshop guy told me that fortunately my car is black and that color does not have to be blended. Maybe I won't have to have the whole hood painted, just the area around the chip.
It's so disappointing because it's brand new and I have done all the seals,waxes,weekly washings,etc. and it looks better than any car I've ever had. I hope to hear good news,but can take the inconvenient truth as well.

Thanks,
George

Dubbin1
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Rock chips are going to happen and you will drive yourself crazy if you worry about each and every one of them. You can get it repainted and by the time you get home there is a chance of a new one being there.

James K
06-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Rock chips are going to happen and you will drive yourself crazy if you worry about each and every one of them. You can get it repainted and by the time you get home there is a chance of a new one being there.

EXACTLY!!!!! I know they suck, but they are part of driving. You might want to invest in a clear bra. Check out Dr. Color Chip if the chip bothers you that much.
Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair (http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair.html)

infinitiM
06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Oh yeah, it bothers me. It looks like someone has dripped a few drops of a silverish-white paint on an otherwise pristine black hood. You can see it from a loong way off. I have used touch up paint on other cars in the past. It has never looked good. How does Dr ColorChip compare? If I put it on and am not satisfied with the results, can I get my money back? Does a clear bra have a duller finish than the unprotected paint? Which is the best brand of clear bra? Thanks for the responses!

FRC Z51
06-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Try using a black Sharpie/permanent marker if it's a black car. It won't be perfect but I've done it numerous times with great results. Anything is better then a silver/white chip on a black hood and you can always use touch up paint over it at a later date.

maxtejeda
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Ventureshield which was bought by 3m over a year ago has done a good job for me. I've had mine on for over 2 1/2 years on a Ivory Pearl 2009 GT-R. Full frontal area + Full Hood Wrap. Till this day no one has even noticed that there was a clear bra until I mentioned it to them. On a black car it would look even better.

Nice Infiniti btw....i'm thinking that might be my next daily driver.

FUNX650
06-08-2011, 10:34 PM
You might want to invest in a clear bra.

OP stated the chip(s) were located on the hood. I fear that unless the front clip's "headlights" has had an extensive "reduction", I don't believe the clear-bra will stretch that far!! :D J/K

@ M.P Cobra Fan..Great idea.

OP, though, should seriously think about PPF for the sensitive areas of his vehicle, IMO.

Bob

richy
06-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Using a proper technique on filling them makes a big difference. Use a pointy toothpick and only dab a small, small amount on the tip. Place the tip into the chip and leave it there for a few seconds until the paint wicks down into the chip. You're better to do it several times over the course of a few days then to place one big "blob" into the chip. Build it up, wet sand it flat and on a straight colour like black. white or yellow, it will pretty much disappear. If you're near an edge, disregard wet sanding it.

fishnugget
06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey Richy what grits of sand paper do you use when wet sanding? As in what to start in and what to finish.

I got some chips in the front and have oem touch up paint. I will follow your advice on my black car.

richy
06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Hey Richy what grits of sand paper do you use when wet sanding? As in what to start in and what to finish.

I got some chips in the front and have oem touch up paint. I will follow your advice on my black car.

Man, sorry for the delay in answering! Now I use 3000 grit. I used to use 2500 but like the 3000 better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmichael258
06-13-2011, 05:50 PM
+1 Dr. Color Chip. Works great

fishnugget
06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Man, sorry for the delay in answering! Now I use 3000 grit. I used to use 2500 but like the 3000 better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries, I am not even done polishing my car. Thanks for the suggestion. :xyxthumbs:

Rayaz
06-13-2011, 07:03 PM
+1 Dr. Color Chip. Works great
+2. Great stuff and you'll have plenty left over for the ones you are bound to get in the future.

Zivman
06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
unfortunately the dealership should have advised you that you have nissan paint and as a result you are more apt to getting rock chips. Nissan paint is horrible.

like others have said, get the dr color chip