PDA

View Full Version : applying wax on plastic factory wheel covers

spitshine1
06-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Good morning everyone!.

I was wondering if i could apply a coat of wax on the wheel covers?
I would like an easier time of getting brake dust off.
Thanks,

P.s. i have seen what brake dust does to wheel covers. It just eats away at plastic/ metal

Crazy Amos
06-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Absolutely. I would use dedicated wheel sealant that can withstand the heat as your base though. Then top with a wax.

StoneRaizer
06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Hmm... good info to know. Time to bust out the 845. :D

rwright
06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't think the plastic covers get as hot as the actual wheel does, or any hotter than paint exposed to the sun all day. I could be wrong though. Just remember that if you use a wheel cleaner it will remove your protective coating.

Flannigan
06-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't think the plastic covers get as hot as the actual wheel does, or any hotter than paint exposed to the sun all day. I could be wrong though. Just remember that if you use a wheel cleaner it will remove your protective coating.
:iagree: I don't think I would worry too much about a specialty high temp product for wheel covers. A regular sealant or wax should do just fine. :dblthumb2:

richy
06-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I have the plastic chrome wheel covers on my Lincoln. I find that P21s polishing soap works well on them to polish them without scratching. To seal them, you can use Collinite or DG 105 or anything like that.

MCA
06-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Definitely wax or seal - it noticeably reduces the amount of brake dust that sticks to the wheel. I have used PB Wheel Sealant and although it worked great, it did not perform any better than a 'non-specialized' LSP. Currently, I am using products with high-durability reputations (Klasse AIO/SG, Zaino, etc) and I am very happy with the results.

As previously mentioned, refrain from using dedicated wheel cleaners as they will compromise the wax/sealant that you applied - All you should really need is basic car soap.