PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not use a wheel cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2 3

sensi09
06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I just rinse down the wheel then begin washing with regular car wash soap and water. I've always done this and the wheels end up nice and clean.

I've tried a few wheel cleaners and don't feel it speeds up the process all that much. Still use some type of rag and brush all the same.

RTexasF
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I only use one if it's called for. Baked on brake dust or other severe crud that is being obstinate for instance.

master detailer
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
wheel cleaner is to get the brake dust off the wheels thats all .

Flannigan
06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
On your personal car, if you take care of it, you may never need to use wheel cleaners. However if you work on other peoples cars they will be needed at one point or another. I never use them on my cars, but I do on pretty much every customer car I see. Other people just don't take care of their wheels enough to be able to clean them with just soap and water.

Y2KSVT
06-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I use soap and water in a separate bucket, and use a Daytona speedmaster brush and the Mothers 3-brush set for my wheels and tires. I see people spraying down wheels with wheel cleaner so liberally, you'd think they were getting it free. Soap and water will get a good majority of the brake dust and grime off your wheels. I think everyone could save themselves A LOT of wheel cleaner if they only used it on stubborn areas, after an initial cleaning with a brush and soapy water.

Mark

EdmundGTP
06-07-2011, 02:49 PM
On my personal car, I'm cleaning the wheels on an almost weekly basis and all that's needed for them is a spraydown/wipedown with some quick detail spray. Just been using the cheap Meg's purple bottle stuff. Also recently tried the Armor All Wheel Protectant spray. It's DRASTICALLY cut down on the amount of brake dust that sticks to the wheels. If you have brakes that dust heavily, you might want to give this stuff a try.

freaksavior
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
ajax and a birstle brush.. no idea if this is a good idea or not but they look good. Then I spray them with mothers tire shine.

Dubbin1
06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
ajax and a birstle brush.. no idea if this is a good idea or not but they look good. Then I spray them with mothers tire shine.

Ajax as in the household cleaner??? Not a good idea as its abrasive and can scratch the crap out of wheels and coatings.

CrownKote
06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
If they have never used me before then in most cases yes... After they have used me as long as they have the car regularly detailed... Just soap and water...

Dude with the Ajax... Watch it with that stuff it is caustic and can damage rubber, clear coat, the rotor material, decompose the brake pad material, and damage concrete... I would recommend changing your chemicals to something else if you can before you cause irreversible damage... Ask me how I know on the brake stuff and the clear coat... (btw I did not do it it is what I saw from another detailer...)

Flash Gordon
06-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Love It! :applause:

silverfox
06-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Since I have applied Opti-Coat to my wheels, I no longer have any need for wheel cleaners. Is amazing...thats all I can say.

RTexasF
06-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Wow! Welcome to 1960. No, it's really not a good idea.

jkk7479
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Wow! Welcome to 1960. No, it's really not a good idea.

+1 Seriously Bro.....you are trashing your wheels by doing this. Stick to a good car soap with a soft brush and hit the hard stuff with a wheel cleaner or APC diluted 4:1 if need be.

Flash Gordon
06-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Ya'll be nice now. Haven't we all made mistakes before

Jaretr1
06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I just wipe them down every car wash with a microfiber covered brush I got at wallyworld.