PDA

View Full Version : Fresh paint and a long trip

Pages : [1] 2

Yellow06GT
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Bad news and good news. Bad news is that I hit a deer on Saturday in the Mustang. Good news is that it is getting fixed.

The problem that I have is that I have a 500 mile trip that I have to take in it the week I get it back. I know that it is going to get plastered with rocks and bugs. I would like to do something to protect it but I know that I can't seal it. I red an article that Mike posted a couple of years ago about Meg #7, but I feel that I need more protection than that.

Any ideas on what I should do? I don't want to clear bra it, because I have seen how all of them look after 2-3 years. The worst thing is that I know this thing is going to be a mess when I get back from my trip. Rock chips, etc.....

LegacyGT
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
You should ask Corey (CeeDog) about Road Wrap ... I know he used it coming up to Detail Fest.

Y2KSVT
06-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Is it important that you drive your Mustang? Could you rent a car? Might be worth spending $60 to rent a car, unless you're going to a car show, or showing up to some chick's house you met on the internet. :xyxthumbs: In those cases, a Chevy Aveo won't cut it!

Mark

Mike Phillips
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
You should ask Corey (CeeDog) about Road Wrap ... I know he used it coming up to Detail Fest.

Ditto...

I've seen guys apply blue painters tape all over the front clip of their car to drive from Orange County, California to Las Vegas for SEMA

Just take it off as soon as you get their and be careful with it.

:)

oldmodman
06-07-2011, 01:09 PM
One word answer.

Rental.

BobbyG
06-07-2011, 01:37 PM
One word answer.

Rental.

Now that's a surefire way of avoiding damage to it....let it sit in the garage safe and sound... :props:

Griots has a plastic wrap available just for this purpose.

FUNX650
06-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Besides Griot's Wrap, there is this vehicle wrap used by many of the OEM "Car Haulers":

TransportWrap (They have website)

Note: If you must drive your vehicle---the above is just another idea for your consideration. :)

Bob

daveinsweethome
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
boy what great answers. rental, wraps etc. griots has a spray on bra too. works great but is a little expensive per can. but i can attest it works great.

brumma
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Are any of these options advisable considering it will have new paint?

MDetail
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
3m painters tape works great for this kind of stuff

jsgntulok
06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I think that before applying any stick on product to a freshly painted car, I would want to get advice from the body shop personnel. I would seriously consider a rental in this case.

FUNX650
06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Are any of these options advisable considering it will have new paint?

Great question.

I believe jsgntulok's post #11 (Thank you) pretty much nails it: get a definitive answer from the painter/bodyshop personnel about any paint concerns before taking any action on our advice/counsel.

I'm with many others on a rental, though. A nine hour drive in a freshly painted vehicle just ain't worth it, IMO.

Bob

Jhaight11
06-07-2011, 10:10 PM
it all depends on the clear they use. the higher end clear that i use (im a painter) will dry in 45 mins when baked at 140*F and i would recommend letting sit for an additional 12-16 hours after. never had any problems with cars after that procedure. but once again all depends on the clear they use. get me some info and i can give you a good estimate or just ask the painter him/herself.

Yellow06GT
06-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I never realized how many products there are out there. I do know that from now on I will be using some sort of wrap on my car when taking long trips.

I am leaning towards the rental, even though I would rather take the convertible since it is summer in MI and that means I only have about 5 months to use it. :)

Any idea what clear would be the best to use (hardest, clearest)? The body shop that is doing the work has been great to work with so far. He said he would do anything that I want done, within reason.

BobbyG
06-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Besides Griot's Wrap, there is this vehicle wrap used by many of the OEM "Car Haulers":

TransportWrap (They have website)

Note: If you must drive your vehicle---the above is just another idea for your consideration. :)

Bob

Bob,

I've seen that stuff but wasn't aware that it was available to the consumer... :props: