PDA

View Full Version : Fisheye Problem

bag3lbit3s
06-07-2011, 10:49 AM
So I had a bumper resprayed a few months ago and haven't really looked at the paint thoroughly up until a few weeks ago and noticed there's a handful of fisheyes on the rear bumper. They're hardly noticeable except in the right light, but the thing that worries me is whether or not they will be an issue. I plan on keeping the car for a while and don't want to have to have it repainted a few years down the road.

Is it really just a cosmetic thing or is this something that will start giving me problems or getting worse later down the road? Is this something I can remove or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I've never seen fish eyes cause the paint to fail. A Fish Eye is basically some type of contaminant that was on the paint causing surface tension so the paint begin sprayed could not adhere or stick to the panel and instead piles-up around the contaminant.

Once the paint dries, (that's where your paint is at), it's over, the paint has hardened in the fish eye pattern and end of story.

Most people blame silicone for causing fish eyes but actually, it can be caused by anything that would cause surface tension or for example any product or ingredient that causes water to bead could cause fish eyes. This is why you're not supposed to take car waxes or paint sealants or anything that contains, silicone, wax or sealants into a fresh paint environment, you'll contaminate the shop.

The way fish eyes are prevented is first with a clean, un-contaminated shop, second is by doing the proper prep-work and when in doubt, by adding a fish eye eliminator to the paint.

:)

bag3lbit3s
06-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the help!

So I've had a few small issues I've found from the work previously at the body shop. One of the issues is currently at the shop being fixed again because the part they resprayed didn't match at all. Today I just dropped off the car about the other small problem and decided to just mention the bumper. I wasn't going to ask to have it repainted if it wasn't going to be a problem and just cosmetic, but ask his opinion on it. As soon as I mentioned it he said that we were being too picky, it's just a car, and didn't want to see us back at his shop again after the thing was fixed. I put a lot of time into taking care of my cars, I guess I could live with the fisheyes if they really aren't an issue...but would you have complained about it? The bumper was supposed to be fixed after an accident and this shop has been recommended by our insurance company. We've had multiple cars worked on by them over the past two decades but most have been my parents or family which they really don't scrutinize and are happy with a simple car wash.

They have a lifetime guarantee on all their paintwork but by the looks of it now...chances are that won't be honored.

Mike Phillips
06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the help!

As soon as I mentioned it he said that we were being too picky, it's just a car, and didn't want to see us back at his shop again after the thing was fixed.

Ouch...

This is a good example of poor quality customer service. It's so nice to work here at Autogeek where all the staff is charged with and empowered by Max to provide 5-Start Customer Service.

What you experienced is kind of the norm... painting is hard work and getting show car results or perfect paint is hard. They are probably not used to having any customer actually know anything about paint quality and sounds like they don't want any customers that know something about their industry.

Tell your insurance company about your experience, actually print this thread out and and give it to them so they can see your complaint is more than just a complaint, it's now online.

Find a better bodyshop for future work.

:)

bag3lbit3s
06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
We will be talking to the insurance company after we pick the car up and possibly the owner of the shop...last thing we need is them any more upset than they are and doing something to the car. This will be the last time any of our family will be taking our cars to them. They've lost quite a bit of business from us.

I appreciate the help and all the videos from autogeek, if it weren't for you guys...I'd still be using a cheap container of turtle wax and dirty terry cloth car to "detail" my cars. :p

Thanks again Mike!

Y2KSVT
06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I'd personally take this opportunity to smear that company's name and reputation, as often as I could. It sounded like you handled it well by simply asking about the fisheyes, and not demanding they be fixed. They essentially just lost what could have been a lifelong customer (you), and all of your friends and family.

Just because your insurance cut the check to the body shop, doesn't mean you aren't the customer. Remember, (depending on your age) you've paid TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars in insurance premiums for when things happen to your car. The body shop should still be held to YOUR standards and not just the insurance company that recommended them. After all, your insurance company isn't the one driving the car you put your hard earned money into.

Mark

BobbyG
06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Wow, now that shop certainly needs a class or two in customer service!! :eek::bat:
Once the paint has cured and dried they won't become larger or deeper but they are there.

Fisheyes occur during the application of the paint whether color or clear. Fisheyes are primarily due to surface contamination causing the liquid to separate resulting in a small cavity.

Fisheye eliminator or remover paint additives has been around for decades and can't imagine why a paint shop wouldn't use it.