PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna P0203 to 85RD?

05RLS2
06-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I just wanted to get suggestions on this combination with a 7424 and LC CCS pads. Could I go from P0203 on a white 5.5" pad without having a lot of haze and amrring left behind and then be able to follow up with a 5.5" grey using 85RD? Or is there another kind of Menzerna polish that I should use after the P0203 for finial polishing and save the 85RD for final jeweling? I've got a black and red car, both newer GM vehicles, that I will be working on and need some suggestions

loudog2
06-07-2011, 04:44 AM
You can follow up power finish with 85RD. Power finish finishes down pretty good by itself.

sal329
06-07-2011, 05:55 AM
I agree, Power Finish will leave a great finish behind there will be no problems with following up with 85rd

BobbyG
06-07-2011, 06:05 AM
According to Menzerna, their PO203 has a cut of 3.5 and a gloss of 3.0. You might want to try an intermediate polish such as Super Finish PO106FA using a white and gray pad.

Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-super-nano-polish.html)

If you do decide to take it up a notch use PO85RD with a gray then blue pad.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/LiquidSummary31510.jpg

Crazy Amos
06-07-2011, 08:11 AM
What color is the paint you are working on?

I just worked on a Black Saleen Mustang that was swirled horribly and I used SIP (PO83Q) via orange LC and B&S and Super Finish (PO106FA) via black LC and B&S. It came out beautifully.

I think you should be fine going from Power Finish the 85rd. I wanted to use PF but it just didnt have the cut I needed.

When using the PF, make sure you work it down completely.......I mean completely. I myself would probably work it down, then use a spritz of water to work it further. Especially if it's a dark color. 85rd has almost no cut so you are only cleaning up the marring so no swirls can be left behind to clean up. When worked properly PF will finish out Almost LSP ready with even an orange pad.

This is very important. On your last couple of passes, reduce the pressure and arm speed to allow the remainder of the abrasives to refine the work area. This should aid the 85rd.

If it's a light color you are working on, the process won't be so tedious. If it's black or a dark blue, be patient.

Flannigan
06-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I too would say it depends more on the paint. If the PF finishes well for you and you just want to add some extra gloss than you should be able to make the jump to PO85rd. However, if you still have some marring left behind after the PF you probably want to do a middle step such as 106ff. Honestly you might be able to finish with the 106ff if you're not after a show car finish. I have finished with 106ff in the past and it does a very good job.

Dr Oldz
06-07-2011, 08:41 AM
I would say there is no definate answer here but I will say that 203 finishes down very well and I have used it as a one step polish many of times.So chances are good but can only be verified buy a test section to see if you get the results you are after.

ScottB
06-07-2011, 05:24 PM
PowerFinish (203) is a great one stepper .... 085rd the supreme finishing polish. While I never used the combo together, it sounds rather interesting.

05RLS2
06-07-2011, 10:31 PM
If I went with strictly Menzerna polishes, what do you all reccomend on using on both GM darker vehicles with around meduim marring on them, no deep scratches all just lighter side surface stuff from improper washes. I don't mind using 3 polishes if I have to, since I am not expecting an all in one to take care of the swirls and finish out perfectly. I am just trying to get the best finish I can

What color is the paint you are working on?

I just worked on a Black Saleen Mustang that was swirled horribly and I used SIP (PO83Q) via orange LC and B&S and Super Finish (PO106FA) via black LC and B&S. It came out beautifully.

I think you should be fine going from Power Finish the 85rd. I wanted to use PF but it just didnt have the cut I needed.

When using the PF, make sure you work it down completely.......I mean completely. I myself would probably work it down, then use a spritz of water to work it further. Especially if it's a dark color. 85rd has almost no cut so you are only cleaning up the marring so no swirls can be left behind to clean up. When worked properly PF will finish out Almost LSP ready with even an orange pad.

This is very important. On your last couple of passes, reduce the pressure and arm speed to allow the remainder of the abrasives to refine the work area. This should aid the 85rd.

If it's a light color you are working on, the process won't be so tedious. If it's black or a dark blue, be patient.
Black and red, both newer GMs vehicles which is said to have harder finishes.

You waid that you used SIP over PF since it has more cut, but from Menzerna's chart SIP only has a .3 more cut over PF. In reality is the SIP that much better in terms of cut? I am curious to know since I might having to end up needing a stronger cut when working with these. Thanks for the tips, I am kind new with Menzernas products but have been eager to try them out

Crazy Amos
06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
SIP and PF are pretty close to one another in terms of cut and gloss, but even though the the .3 doesn't seem like much on paper, it sometimes is all you need to get rid of a couple swirls completely. This is why it is nice to have multiple products in your arsenal.

This was the case on this particular car. It was black and showed everything. I tried the PF with orange and even though it removed the majority, it didn't remove all of the swirls. There wasn't much left of the swirl after the PF, but you can't get by with leaving even the faintest of a swirl behind. Once I switched to the SIP, it cleaned them up nicely.

Another thing to note is just because a polish or compound is shown on paper as being close to each other, it doesn't always mean they are. Different factors come into play other than the size of the abrasive such as how long the abrasive needs to be worked before it breaks down. If an abrasive breaks down slower, during the time it is breaking down it is removing more material than if it were to break down fast because the abrasive is larger for a longer period of time thus removing more material than when it is smaller. Not sure if this makes any sense or not, hope it does.

05RLS2
06-10-2011, 02:40 AM
SIP and PF are pretty close to one another in terms of cut and gloss, but even though the the .3 doesn't seem like much on paper, it sometimes is all you need to get rid of a couple swirls completely. This is why it is nice to have multiple products in your arsenal.

This was the case on this particular car. It was black and showed everything. I tried the PF with orange and even though it removed the majority, it didn't remove all of the swirls. There wasn't much left of the swirl after the PF, but you can't get by with leaving even the faintest of a swirl behind. Once I switched to the SIP, it cleaned them up nicely.

Another thing to note is just because a polish or compound is shown on paper as being close to each other, it doesn't always mean they are. Different factors come into play other than the size of the abrasive such as how long the abrasive needs to be worked before it breaks down. If an abrasive breaks down slower, during the time it is breaking down it is removing more material than if it were to break down fast because the abrasive is larger for a longer period of time thus removing more material than when it is smaller. Not sure if this makes any sense or not, hope it does.
Yep that makes perfect sense, between the two. Thanks for the info.

After looking over the black vehicle again, 2007 Saturn Vue, there's pretty much swirls and rids all over it. I wonder if I should go with the SIP or PF on this one? I don't really want to buy both and finish with 85RD if I don't have to, but if all are necessary I guess I will. Anyone ever work on one of these any could suggest the best plan of action on it?

maximus20895
06-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Have you done a test spot?

sensi09
06-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Can you go from SIP with an orange pad to 85rd with a black pad. Or is a white pad needed somewhere between?

Crazy Amos
06-10-2011, 06:50 AM
It really just depends on the paint. If you want to stick to a 2 step, I would substitute te 85rd for P0106FA. It has more cut and the same gloss as 85rd.

If you already have the SIP and 85rd, I think you will have to with white and SIP prior to the 85rd. Can't be sure until a test spot is done though.

05RLS2
06-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Have you done a test spot?
Nope, becuase I know the 85RD I have isn't going to be enough to tacke it, so I have not touched it yet. Gotta order some things before I take it on for the owner. Just don't know if I should go with the follwing combos

SIP = White
106FA = White
85RD = Black

or

SIP or PF = white
106 FA = white