PDA

View Full Version : Hydrotech pads on rotary?

93fox
06-06-2011, 07:53 PM
So ive been using flat pads for most of the time but i have a set of hydrotechs laying around. Are hydrotech pads good on the rotary? Ive heard alot about the pad flying off, coming off the velcro, etc. I know that if i want to do a whole car i would need at least 4 sets to do a whole car. Have any of you guys used hydrotech pads on the rotary? How have they preformed? Have there been any problems? Any input would be very much appreciated!

LegacyGT
06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I have found them to be grabby / hop around quite a bit, but I am still a novice with the Rotary. I am currently trying the kompressors on the rotary, but still trying to get over some slinging issues.

Flannigan
06-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I use them on my rotaries all the time. I have heard a few people call them grabby, but I have never once experienced this myself. They have been nothing but perfect for me.

Also as for the backing I believe it is caused by not allowing the pads to dry 100% after you clean them. If the pad has some moisture in it and then gets hot while on the machine, it is only a matter of time before the glue will start to fail. Personally I've never had the backing fail on one of them, but I am very careful to make sure they are fully dry before I use them again.

The only downside I see with them is they aren't as tough as some other pads, but I think this is due to the fact that they have a open cell design which lends itself well to cutting and polishing, but not so well to standing up to tons of pressure, or catching on a random corner.

Just my .02

93fox
06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
I have found them to be grabby / hop around quite a bit, but I am still a novice with the Rotary. I am currently trying the kompressors on the rotary, but still trying to get over some slinging issues.

From my experiance, if the pad is grabby is because i dont have enough product on the pad. If its hoping its because its not 100% centered to the backing plate. Keep trying, you'll love the rotary man!

93fox
06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I use them on my rotaries all the time. I have heard a few people call them grabby, but I have never once experienced this myself. They have been nothing but perfect for me.

Also as for the backing I believe it is caused by not allowing the pads to dry 100% after you clean them. If the pad has some moisture in it and then gets hot while on the machine, it is only a matter of time before the glue will start to fail. Personally I've never had the backing fail on one of them, but I am very careful to make sure they are fully dry before I use them again.

The only downside I see with them is they aren't as tough as some other pads, but I think this is due to the fact that they have a open cell design which lends itself well to cutting and polishing, but not so well to standing up to tons of pressure, or catching on a random corner.

Just my .02

Hmm im guessing i will have to order some more. By any chance, witch ones do you use? The thin ones or the regular ones?

Flannigan
06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Hmm im guessing i will have to order some more. By any chance, witch ones do you use? The thin ones or the regular ones?
I use the thin ones.

93fox
06-06-2011, 08:16 PM
I use the thin ones.

Nice! I found those at a cheaper price on another site! ;)

richy
06-06-2011, 10:21 PM
No issues with a rotary per se, but I don't think they are robust enough. They break down too easily. They need to last longer. I stopped using them.

93fox
06-06-2011, 11:04 PM
No issues with a rotary per se, but I don't think they are robust enough. They break down too easily. They need to last longer. I stopped using them.

What pads do you suggest that leave a similar finish like hydrotech pads?

C. Charles Hahn
06-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Ever tried the Meguiar's SoftBuff 2.0 pads? I've had great luck with them finishing down very well both with Meg's polishes as well as the Optimum spray compound and polish, and Menzerna polishes.

93fox
06-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Ever tried the Meguiar's SoftBuff 2.0 pads? I've had great luck with them finishing down very well both with Meg's polishes as well as the Optimum spray compound and polish, and Menzerna polishes.

Yes Charlie ive tried them. the thing is that i am attached to 5.5 pads. i just love the way the handle on the rotary. If Megs made 5.5 pads i wouldnt even be asking these kind of questions.

Flannigan
06-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Like I said, I understand that the hydrotech pads down hold up to heavy heavy pressure very well, however I think they are getting a bad rep. I have several pads that are over a year old now that have been used on at least 10 correction. I don't know, but to me that’s getting a lot for your money. I'm sure if you did an in depth test they wouldn't cut quite as well as a brand spanking new pad, but I think the difference would be negligible in the long run. Just my .02

richy
06-07-2011, 06:54 AM

I started using the Buff & Shine pads lately and found them to be fantastic. Good cut and they finish down beautifully. Now, I rinse them out and spin them dry before use. I find that makes them very soft (more soft than if you didn't do that step) and the result is a nicer finish from them. That's my experience anyway.

Crazy Amos
06-07-2011, 07:59 AM

I have noticed this too. I think since the cells are closed, once they start to break down the cell structure becomes weak and they no longer perform as they should.