PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Chevy Suburban Painted Trim

jasonray
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm a newbie to detailing, but I'm gaining knowledge fast.

I've got a 2007 Chevy Suburban with Bermuda Blue paint. The problem is the painted trim pieces look horrible almost like heavy water spots. There is no luster left in them.

So far I have tried rubbing them out by hand, but it hasn't helped much. I'm looking into buying a PC so I can go to the next level but I figured I would reach out and see if anyone had any suggestions.

Thank you,
Jason

ziggo99
06-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Seeing at this was your first post, welcome to the forums!

Could you perhaps post a picture of the spots? Might give us a better understand of what we're working with.

ryanbabz71
06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
The trim on the GMT-900 SUVs are horrible. My wife has an 08 Tahoe (Silver Birch). Everything sticks to the trim. It is like velcro :(

Maybe try claying, M105, then a sealant and a wax? That is what I did. Had to tell with silver about the "luster" but it did get all the junk off them/

ride5150
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
The trim on the GMT-900 SUVs are horrible. My wife has an 08 Tahoe (Silver Birch). Everything sticks to the trim. It is like velcro :(

Maybe try claying, M105, then a sealant and a wax? That is what I did. Had to tell with silver about the "luster" but it did get all the junk off them/

yeah id definately try claying first, if it doesnt finish perfectly after jsut m105 then follow with m205.

what did you use by hand?

personally if i were doing it by hand and using otc stuff, id clay and then polish with ultimate compound.

jto667
06-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about....i have a black Yukon...painted trim, same problem. It's basically faded semi black trim now. Not the gloss like brand new. I may have some pictures, hang on a few and i'll try to figure out how to post em. I hit mine with some 205 cuz they looked like crap, figured as long as I had the machine out I might as well. They came back a little bit but they are by no means perfect. Let me see if my pics work, then we can see what advice the pros have.

Sorry, no good pics available. But i'm in the same boat as the OP!

jasonray
08-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Here are some pictures, anyone have any tips?

diablojota
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
ride5150 gave you the right idea.
Clay, M105, then M205, then seal/wax. You'll need to get a buffer to do it though. I'd mask the paint around the trim so you don't catch the paint on the panel with the side of the pad. This will let you be a bit more aggressive correcting the top of that trim.

Kristopher1129
08-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Here are some pictures, anyone have any tips?

Looks to me like the clear coat has been taken away. I've seen this quite a few times.

Jokeman
08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Remove and Repaint. Those moldings all suffer the same fate.

02accordSE
08-22-2011, 06:43 PM
My dad and two of my neighbors have those same moldings on the sides of there trucks. All you need to do is take a good compound, I used Megs Ultimate Compound, and I hit them with my PC7424xp with an orange pad and they came back like new. I was really surprised, because I thought they were trashed too.

eaglefan
08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Wife also has 07 suburban, paint is coming off the trim. Bought it used so dont know how it was cared for>

ryanbabz71
08-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Looks to me like the clear coat has been taken away. I've seen this quite a few times.

I dont believe the trim is clear coated. Its almost like a rubber trim that is painted

Kristopher1129
08-22-2011, 07:57 PM
I dont believe the trim is clear coated. Its almost like a rubber trim that is painted

I know it's not actual clear coat. But it seems like some sort of finish has been eaten away by the sun. It's strange...they all do that too.