PDA

View Full Version : What Extractor Do You Use & Why Do You Like It?

Pages : [1] 2

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Ok so heres the deal guys...I think my next investment will be a good extractor. Ive been using the Brissell "Little Green"...and considering we paid $12 for it at goodwill...its been a dream for us, but the issue we've had is CLOTH SEATS.

The reason they've been an issue extraction is because the motor isn't powerful enough to really PULL out the water unless the seat is really soaked...and if we do really soak it...even after it pulls out the dirty water..the seat is still pretty damp and I HATE giving a customer their car back in that condition, which is why we've BEEN steam cleaning them lately with our McCulloch which does a rather good job...little extra elbow grease but...its the end result that matters to us.

So, that being said, I've done lots of reading on here and MOL about other extractors and even steamer/extractors in one...I mainly want an extractor that is POWERFUL enough to pull water from cloth seats...Ive seen YouTube vids of people using the Rug Doctor and it looked to do a good job w/the upholstery attachment, but I still wanted to ask my peeps here on AG their experiences http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/xyxthumbs.gif

So what I'd like to know is,

WHAT one you have

How long you've had it and how often you use it (and do you use it on just carpets/mats or do you use it on seats also)

How much you like it and WHY, and do you have any others you've used that you could compared it to

Is it JUST an extractor or an extractor/steamer in one

And of course...how much was it (and any other info you may want to include)

Appreciate the feedback everyone...this should make for a good thread I think http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/wavey.gif

DaGonz
06-06-2011, 05:39 AM
I have the Bissel LGM. I would love to invest in a Mytee extractor, but as a seasonal/weekend warrior detailer, I can't justify the cost for the volume of vehicles that I do.

I clean cloth seats with Folex and microfibers, then use the LGM to the pull out whatever is left under the premise that intoducing too musch moisture into the interior causes other problems. I set up a couple of fans, turn them up to the high setting and use the air movement to help dry the interior.

rwisejr
06-06-2011, 06:14 AM
I have and use the Aztec Hot Rod and I love it for the power and portability in such a compact size. One thing is I never over saturate cloth or carpets . The key is it to pre treat with folex or what ever chemical you chose. Let the chemical dwell,agitate then extract .

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
I have the Bissel LGM. I would love to invest in a Mytee extractor, but as a seasonal/weekend warrior detailer, I can't justify the cost for the volume of vehicles that I do.

I do as well and only detailing cars on the weekends, I agree with you, but I still want an extractor. Good thread, Wills. The Aztec looks very interesting to me, but I don't know much about the high end extractors.

richy
06-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Like Mark, I just do this on the weekends as well. I have the Gaia steamer/extractor/vacuum all in one unit. It has been great for me. I have made some dramatic improvements in carpets and mats without getting them wet to the touch. Jason has one too and I think he likes his as well. I have had mine for over 3 years now.

CrownKote
06-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Personally I use the DM1600 It is a great machine but I do have some complaints:

*The waste tank seems smaller than the fill tank... (I say seems because the stupid thing needs emptying before it is out of fresh water)

*It takes forever to heat up (seems about 20 min is the average) but once heated you are cooking with about 180 degree water!

*Emptying the thing is a pain... (no drain for the waste tank... you have to take off the inlet hose and dump the machine over to drain)

The positives:

*The temp! (About 180 degrees!)

*The extraction power! (Carpets, Seats, and Floormats dry in about 45 min)

*The size! (Small footprint but holds enough water to do a full size suv!)

*The color (sorry I hate the colors of the other extractors I know it seems kinda goofy but I love the red and black it comes in plus most of the other extractors look like throwbacks from the mid 70's and 80's... lol...)

*The hose length! (Nice and long)

Other than those smallish complaints I love the machine! I have a Caddy Escalade coming in today and they are getting the carpets cleaned... I will try to do some sort of write up for the DM1600 and the products that I use... I will then post a link here for you if you would like...

Executive Detail
06-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I have the Mytee HP60 Spyder...and love it! I've had mine for about a year now and use it quite frequently. What I like about it, is that it has an inline heater so you don't have to wait for the whole tank to heat up first. If you use one with a tank heater, be sure to use hot water and you won't have to worry about waiting long for the tank to heat up. I have a few (5)Gal buckets with the gamma seal lid, so I usually fill 1 or 2 with hot water before going to the job. This way, even with the inline heater, I know my water is HOT. Oh yea, it has 137" of water lift and a 210 deg heater.

I started with the Durrmaid 1600 and quickly moved to the Mytee. The Durrmaid just didn't have to capacity for large vehicles. The one good thing I noticed about the Durrmaid, is that it can collect a mighty large amount of dust sitting on the shelf. At least that's what it's been dong for the past year.

john b
06-06-2011, 12:33 PM
the gaia sounds very tempting and versatile,i would like to know if the vacuem side is strong enough to get those pesky paticles of sand out-that or the duramaid-about 800 $ either way you look at it-i have been doing details on the weekend also and the carpets and upulstery have been the slowest part for me so i can see where either machine could pay for itself over time-i like the idea of getting in there with one machine like the gaia

LegacyGT
06-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Currently I have the Hoover SteamVac Carpet Cleaner, All-Terrain.

I bought it as a whole house carpet cleaner, but I found it to be handy with the attachment to clean cars as well. Works well for the hobbyist that I am, and it is awesome at cleaning the carpets in the house.

catfish07
06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I use a Sandia 3Gallon heated unit.
it's alright.

tcfatboys
06-07-2011, 02:59 AM
i have a 3-stage Sniper Sandia. 12 gallon / 200psi / 2000 in line hot watter heater

I HAVE DONE COMMERCIAL CLEANING JOB'S WITH THIS MACHINE. hOTEL'S & CHURCH / CARPET & UPHOLSTERY CLEANING JOBS

I USE IT IN ALL MY INTRERIOR DETAIL JOBS. IT HEATS THE WATER IN 10 MINUTES TAKING LONG.

I ALSO BOUGHT THE T-SPLITTER SO I CAN CONECT IN ONE MY INLINE PRE-SPRAYER. AND HAVE MY OTHER LINE READY FOR THE DETAIL WAND

3-STAGE IS A MUST HAVE FOR GOOD SUCTION CLEANING. AND IF YOU REALLY WANT SUCTION INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL 25FT HOSE / USE A 12FT. YOU WILL HAVE MORE SUCTION POWER

PROCHEM'S & CHEMSPEC ALL FABRIC PRE-SPRAY LEAVES A NICE FINISH ON THE SEAT'S FABRIC.

REALLY DIRTY CARPET'S USE A TRAFFIC LANE CLEANER OF COURSE DILUTED IN A SPRAY BOTTLE / GIVE 5 TO 10 MN / HAND BRUSH / THEN USE THE EXTRACTION WITH NICE HOT PRESSURE WATER / AND THAT'S ALL YOU NEED

CrownKote
06-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Here is the thread where I did a quicky review/write up of the carpets and extractor:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/36803-big-black-powerful.html

richy
06-07-2011, 06:45 AM
the gaia sounds very tempting and versatile,i would like to know if the vacuem side is strong enough to get those pesky paticles of sand out-that or the duramaid-about 800 $ either way you look at it-i have been doing details on the weekend also and the carpets and upulstery have been the slowest part for me so i can see where either machine could pay for itself over time-i like the idea of getting in there with one machine like the gaia

I'm not sure. There are no published stats for the water lift. I also have a Powr Flite PF51 wet dry vac that I use to vacuum the interior as well. It has 100 inches of water lift and I have noticed that if I go over the mats with it after the Gaia, it feels the same to me. I use the upholstery tool when doing mats or carpeting with the Gaia. Having the combo of steam and extraction for me is priceless.

V3AutoDetailing
06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I have the aztec form ag. Works very welll. it is portable, Very long hoses, Very long power cord, Great suction, Hot water.

Kinda a paint to empty, Takes about 15min to heat up.

I would buy another one with out a doubt. It is a very quality machine. I did start with a LGM, it was decent in that it would warm the water slightly, But two diffrent levels of suction, abilliy to clean.

With the super long hose on the aztec, you can move all around the inside of suvs with no need to try and move the extractor around or bring it inside the auto.

This wasa good purchase.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Like Mark, I just do this on the weekends as well. I have the Gaia steamer/extractor/vacuum all in one unit. It has been great for me. I have made some dramatic improvements in carpets and mats without getting them wet to the touch. Jason has one too and I think he likes his as well. I have had mine for over 3 years now.

Richy, do you have a link to the one you're talking about?

i have a 3-stage Sniper Sandia. 12 gallon / 200psi / 2000 in line hot watter heater

I HAVE DONE COMMERCIAL CLEANING JOB'S WITH THIS MACHINE. hOTEL'S & CHURCH / CARPET & UPHOLSTERY CLEANING JOBS

I USE IT IN ALL MY INTRERIOR DETAIL JOBS. IT HEATS THE WATER IN 10 MINUTES TAKING LONG.

I ALSO BOUGHT THE T-SPLITTER SO I CAN CONECT IN ONE MY INLINE PRE-SPRAYER. AND HAVE MY OTHER LINE READY FOR THE DETAIL WAND

3-STAGE IS A MUST HAVE FOR GOOD SUCTION CLEANING. AND IF YOU REALLY WANT SUCTION INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL 25FT HOSE / USE A 12FT. YOU WILL HAVE MORE SUCTION POWER

PROCHEM'S & CHEMSPEC ALL FABRIC PRE-SPRAY LEAVES A NICE FINISH ON THE SEAT'S FABRIC.

REALLY DIRTY CARPET'S USE A TRAFFIC LANE CLEANER OF COURSE DILUTED IN A SPRAY BOTTLE / GIVE 5 TO 10 MN / HAND BRUSH / THEN USE THE EXTRACTION WITH NICE HOT PRESSURE WATER / AND THAT'S ALL YOU NEED

Same thing, do you have a link to where you got yours from? Have you ever had to use it on really bad stains....im talking like...red on a light colored carpet or something of that nature. It would be nice to have one that will pull up stains that others can't handle

Here is the thread where I did a quicky review/write up of the carpets and extractor:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/36803-big-black-powerful.html

Nice write up, and nice SUV...im not jealous...nope (did you propose to the lady lol?) Carpets looked good...they didn't look totally trashed to begin with so thats always nice. Same question to you...have you ever had to use it on something light colored and just really stained or dirty....red liquid spills or maybe really ground in dirt or oil...you know, the impossible things lol. If i'm gonna drop $100's on one of these things Id like it to do the impossible or at least close to it :dblthumb2: