PDA

View Full Version : I've changed something from here on out...

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 01:22 AM
I used to clay every car, regardless of color. I've noticed that when claying dark colored cars, and not polishing, there's noticeable marring. It's nothing major, I think marring from claying is normal. Most customers can't tell, but I can, and it bugs me. On light colored cars, yea, it's there, but if I can't see it, that's good enough for me. So, I will no longer clay dark colored cars unless I'm polishing after. Anyone feel the same way?

maximus20895
06-06-2011, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't clay unless I am doing some polishing afterwords.

buddhadog
06-06-2011, 01:58 AM
If you use a milder clay it wont usually marr. Try mothers or zaino clay bar.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 02:07 AM
If you use a milder clay it wont usually marr. Try mothers or zaino clay bar.
I don't see how claying using any clay won't marr the surface. You're ribbing gritty contaminants directly against the paint no matter how much lube you use. Some will disagree, but it only makes sense to me. :)

maximus20895
06-06-2011, 02:11 AM
I agree!

Kevin Brown
06-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Mark, you are right. The contaminants cause the bulk of the scratching.

But really... you telling us that YOU aren't gonna polish a car that you intend to wax?!

Unless you are hand waxing, it's just too darned easy, much faster, and quicker to wax with a DA.

So why are you not using a quality cleaner/wax, with high-grade abrasives?

Hmmmmm?

We all know this is the REAL you: :buffing:

buddhadog
06-06-2011, 02:34 AM
I don't see how claying using any clay won't marr the surface. You're ribbing gritty contaminants directly against the paint no matter how much lube you use. Some will disagree, but it only makes sense to me. :)I think you may be rubbing too hard and not using enough lube Mark.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-06-2011, 03:44 AM
Hey Mark, for me...I think claying saves time in the long run because i HATE how running a wax pad over a gritty surface feels...not to mention running a MF over it to remove the wax...I'm sure you've had the MF catch and unfold and just be a big pain in the ass like i've had happen on the bad ones.

While yes I understand your point...I'd have to go with at least claying the horizontal surfaces. I'm not sure if you've heard of or tried them (AG doesnt sell them so i hope they dont get mad), but i recently bought something called the Hi Tech Magna Sponge. Does the same thing as clay...except you can rinse it out, thus washing away the contaminants you removed and not just rubbing them over the surface like you were talking about.

Now i've only used this on one truck so far (i just bought them, like $12/ea.)...it was black, and honestly i couldn't tell you if it marred the surface or not cause this guys truck was SO jacked (he was a construction contractor) that i coulda run steel wool over it and been able to tell any difference lol. It turned out good after polishing...but one thing I LOVED about the sponge is how easily it removed paint over spray and paint transfer....and trust me there was a LOT.

I only had one spot on the tail gate that gave me trouble..and i had to use a little finger nail action to remove it cause it was more of a GLOB of paint...but the other spots came right off...so maybe you could consider that as an option?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Mark, you are right. The contaminants cause the bulk of the scratching.

But really... you telling us that YOU aren't gonna polish a car that you intend to wax?!

Unless you are hand waxing, it's just too darned easy, much faster, and quicker to wax with a DA.

So why are you not using a quality cleaner/wax, with high-grade abrasives?

Hmmmmm?

We all know this is the REAL you: :buffing:
It would be nice to polish every car I work on, but some don't wanna pay for it. :(

I think I've waxed a car ONCE by hand! :laughing: I discovered the DA for applying wax and never looked back!

High grade cleaner wax? I've thought of those, but in essence, aren't you still polishing(D151 for instance)? No worky for free...lol. :)

Hey Mark, for me...I think claying saves time in the long run because i HATE how running a wax pad over a gritty surface feels...not to mention running a MF over it to remove the wax...I'm sure you've had the MF catch and unfold and just be a big pain in the ass like i've had happen on the bad ones.

:laughing: I couldn't agree with you more, Wills!!! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind claying, it's the consequences of claying without polishing after. Maybe I won't do anything to a car unless they'll pay for polishing!!!! Im the MAN

I'll look into the clay block. :props:

VR8
06-06-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm in the same frame of mind. My detail packages only include a wax/sealant. In order to get a polish, even a one step polish like Meguiar's 151, it'll cost extra. On the other hand, I feel like they deserve a clayed surface if they are paying for my detail (verses just slapping wax on any old surface). On a couple of occassions I've called the customer and informed them that after washing and claying the paint was showing signs of oxidation or some other build-up and asked if they wanted me to 1-step polish. It only adds $50 so most of them will.

In a perfect world I'd be able to avoid this by signing up the customer for a polish in the first place, but there's no way to tell what the surface is going to be like when you first get it from the customer and it's dirty.

EDIT: and I've used the clay block ... I like it okay until it starts to wear around the edges.

Flannigan
06-06-2011, 06:43 AM
IMO you should always follow up a clay with at least a paint cleaner on a polishing pad. No matter how fine the clay is there is a chance, a high one, that the paint will get marred in some form or another. I never clay unless I'm doing at least a paint cleaner following it.

For customers you need to get them on a good schedule and if you see them often enough you shouldn't need to clay except for the times that you are going to polish. There is usually no reason to clay more than a couple times a year.

dougaross
06-06-2011, 06:49 AM

While yes I understand your point...I'd have to go with at least claying the horizontal surfaces. I'm not sure if you've heard of or tried them (AG doesnt sell them so i hope they dont get mad), but i recently bought something called the Hi Tech Magna Sponge. Does the same thing as clay...except you can rinse it out, thus washing away the contaminants you removed and not just rubbing them over the surface like you were talking about.

Now i've only used this on one truck so far (i just bought them, like $12/ea.)...it was black, and honestly i couldn't tell you if it marred the surface or not cause this guys truck was SO jacked (he was a construction contractor) that i coulda run steel wool over it and been able to tell any difference lol. It turned out good after polishing...but one thing I LOVED about the sponge is how easily it removed paint over spray and paint transfer....and trust me there was a LOT.

I only had one spot on the tail gate that gave me trouble..and i had to use a little finger nail action to remove it cause it was more of a GLOB of paint...but the other spots came right off...so maybe you could consider that as an option?

AG does sell Elastrofoam (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-elastrofoam-cleaner.html)
I have used this and it's great. Unfortunately the way its bundled with the lube makes it expensive. I recently bought a Magna sponge but have not used it yet.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 06:52 AM
IMO you should always follow up a clay with at least a paint cleaner on a polishing pad. No matter how fine the clay is there is a chance, a high one, that the paint will get marred in some form or another. I never clay unless I'm doing at least a paint cleaner following it.

For customers you need to get them on a good schedule and if you see them often enough you shouldn't need to clay except for the times that you are going to polish. There is usually no reason to clay more than a couple times a year.
Do you mean a paint cleaner with some type of abrasives? Some paint cleaners are strictly chemical with zero correction ability(Wolfgang, P21, Pinnacle).

richy
06-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Mark, have you tried my trick of heating the clay in a microwave prior to using it? Kep a mug of steaming hot water with you to dunk it in afterward. I find it helps minimize the marring you will get with clay yet does not detract from its cleaning ability.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Mark, have you tried my trick of heating the clay in a microwave prior to using it? Kep a mug of steaming hot water with you to dunk it in afterward. I find it helps minimize the marring you will get with clay yet does not detract from its cleaning ability.
Whoa, I'll definitely give that a shot!! How long do you put the clay in the micro for? Where do you come up with these ideas??? :laughing: :props: