PDA

View Full Version : Tips applying interior protectant

weavers
06-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Anyone have any tips on how to spread interior protectant?

I bought some megs supreme shine and mantle from big lots for 3 bucks. i must say it makes a big difference and even looks good two weeks later. I have been applying with a foam pad(the wax type). i use these foam pads for applying tire gel and they work fairly well, but i notice i will miss parts of the dash. and its very obvious days later in different light conditions.

Maybe a LED light will tell me where i missed spots. maybe use a foam to apply and a mf to wipe off. i don't like wiping off excess protectant, same with wheels also. feels like i am removing product and protection and wasting money.

how do you guys apply interior protectant?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I ALWAYS apply an interior protectant with a MF applicator, specifically Mothers. You must buff some interior protectants a few minutes after removal to cut down on the sheen, avoid smudges, and less dust attraction.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Ive used foam applicators, terry cloths and MF cloths....Now that mark mentions it...a MF APPLICATOR would seem to be a good option...MF towels absorb too much product...and foam pads can streak or miss spots (like you are having happen)....terrys can leave lent...so I'd agree..give a MF pad a shot...i think im going to lol:dblthumb2:

And yes a wipe over with a MF towel after applying will sort of smooth everything out to give an even sheen on the entire surface.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Ive used foam applicators, terry cloths and MF cloths....Now that mark mentions it...a MF APPLICATOR would seem to be a good option...MF towels absorb too much product...and foam pads can streak or miss spots (like you are having happen)....terrys can leave lent...so I'd agree..give a MF pad a shot...i think im going to lol:dblthumb2:

And yes a wipe over with a MF towel after applying will sort of smooth everything out to give an even sheen on the entire surface.
:props:

Spray the MF applicator with protectant, wipe on, buff off after a few minutes, done. :dblthumb2: I feel this method gives the most uniform coverage on dashboards, door panels, and leather.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2011, 07:11 AM
how do you guys apply interior protectant?

Microfiber applicators actually work pretty good, the nap of the microfiber provides gentle scrubbing action to loosen any dirt or contaminants while doing a good job of working the dressing or protectant into and over the surface of both rubber, vinyl, plastic and leather.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Microfiber applicators actually work pretty good, the nap of the microfiber provides gentle scrubbing action to loosen any dirt or contaminants while doing a good job of working the dressing or protectant into and over the surface of both rubber, vinyl, plastic and leather.

:)
^^^ This ^^^

I somewhat described this in my earlier post, but this is a better answer. :props:

weavers
06-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I ALWAYS apply an interior protectant with a MF applicator, specifically Mothers. You must buff some interior protectants a few minutes after removal to cut down on the sheen, avoid smudges, and less dust attraction.

k i will try buffing off and the mf applicator. i think i have one somewhere.

do you apply protectant on the door cards and rear seat trim also? or just the dash?

On my car I like applying protectant once a month and then use ONR to wipe down inbetween

CEE DOG
06-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I agree with the points on mf applicators. Depending on the product I use foam a lot too. The LED light will help as well. It picks up things other don't.

Another option for you are the suede microfiber towels. (Introduced with Car Pro - CQuartz) I haven't tried these yet with an interior product. It will vary product to product. A lot of interior products it might not be right for but if you have some of that material laying around cut a strip of it and give it a try. So far I've found it doesn't work well with products that require excessive rubbing or pressure as it will start leaving a fine lint (Probably not the right option for MOST interior dressings).

I've started experimenting with using them for different products and find its the best for some products and not for others. Used with C4 I found the C4 caused too much static and left some lint. (An easy fix for me regardless)

I wanted to buy the pack of 16x16's to try them for removing hazed CQ or for buffing high spots of OC. They were out of 16x16's and I ended up with (20) 8X8's. That Makes 80 or more applicators! Wrap them around the foam block and feel free to throw them away.

I experiment with different applicator types and find different apps for different products.
Foam
Microfiber
Sponge
Suede MF
Cosmetic Pads -Cotton
Cosmetic pads - Foam
Older retired machine polishing pads (cut into 4 +/- pieces)