PDA

View Full Version : for you car guys out there

Pages : [1] 2

timaishu
06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
How many of you buy a car and keep it for years and years and how many of you like to trade for something different?

I currently drive a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE with 87.2k miles. I love the thing, I bought it november 09. At the time, I knew there was a nicer better looking altima out there called the SE-R. Not a car you see very often, almost rare. Ive only ever seenn two on the road ever since I learned about its existence. Anyways, none were available at the time so I got the car I did.

Well two days ago I was browsing autotrader and found an SE-R in code red(amazing color) with 71k miles listed at 13.9k. I took a look and its really slick!

I want to pull the trigger but I feel like its a waste of money. But at the same time I think that I only live once, so why not?

I would have to trade it in as I cant play the try to sell it alone game while trying to buy another car. It would need to be talked down as its too much for its current mileage. Best case scenario I trade my car for 8k and talk him down to 11-12k and pay 3-4k in cash and have it payed off.

What do you guys think?

1MZsLastForever
06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Test drive it first to see if it's what you really want.

Old Tiger
06-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Test drive it first to see if it's what you really want.
100% agree!

timaishu
06-05-2011, 07:49 PM
I did take it for a test drive yesterday. I already knew what to expect. Nicer interior, more aggressive body styling. Better exhaust note.

I liked it alot. It was just cool to look at. Felt slick driving the thing knowing just about no one else on the road owns one. Especially in that color.

BobbyG
06-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I've been buying new and hang on to them. This is my 1999 Dodge Dakota taken today.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Dodge_Dakota_June_2011.jpg

If you like it that much then buy it if it's truly what you want.
Can you financially afford it?

timaishu
06-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I could pay it off in full as long as I could get 8k in trade and talk him down 1-2k. I have 4.7k in savings. But I wouldnt want to spend it all and I really dont want to finance.

I live at home so I dont have any bills to pay other than my own gas.
When my nana died. I inherited a bit of money. I put 13k in savings and had to blow it all when my car died. After a year and a half I saved up as much as I have right now while buying some random things here and there.

Though I am gonna be out of a job in a month. But I can save up atleast 1k in that time frame.

longdx
06-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Generally, I buy and keep my cars for awhile. My last car ,a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage I had for 9 years and almost 200k.

The advice above is solid: 1)can you afford the new payments?
2)is the purchase worth it?
3)will this impede any short term financial
goals?

mdb917
06-05-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been buying new and hang on to them. This is my 1999 Dodge Dakota taken today.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Dodge_Dakota_June_2011.jpg

If you like it that much then buy it if it's truly what you want.
Can you financially afford it?

That's a '99? It looks awesome Bobby. :props:

OP: The first question ask is as BobbyG points out, is can I afford it? After that it becomes a matter of preferences that make you happy. I tend to keep DDs a long time but the 'fun' or impractical vehicles as some would say are less likely to stay around long.

diablojota
06-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Though I am gonna be out of a job in a month. But I can save up atleast 1k in that time frame.

If you're going to be out of a job in a month, don't spend the money. If your car is working and running well stick with it for the time being. You'll always find other cars once things become more certain. 1k is not enough for a rainy day when you're sans job and something happens.

timaishu
06-05-2011, 10:51 PM
If I were to get this SE-R. I would keep it till it dies. Im just sort of thinking about this as an opportunity to get the car I actually wanted in the first place because I will likely not see one for sale 5 miles from my house ever again. These are probably about as uncommon to see on the road as an aston martin or other exotic car.

Also one thing I forgot to mention. My car is going to need to have the bumper repainted soon (quote was 571) due to peeling of cc at the seams. Also there is a rock chip with peeling clear on the fender that to fix would be atleast 1000 dollars. He said because they would have to blend it into every panel.

Im thinking that I could probably be better off putting that 1500 bucks into a lower mileage car that has nicer paint. I would just have to hope the dealer wouldnt take too much notice as the average person wont notice unless they know what to look for.

diablojota
06-06-2011, 12:34 AM
There are 74 of them listed on autotrader alone. If you really want the car, then you can get it. But why even bother painting the front bumper yet? It's plastic. it won't rust. Save your money until you are on firmer footing again.

Streetlife
06-06-2011, 10:39 AM
If you're going to be out of a job in a month, don't spend the money. If your car is working and running well stick with it for the time being. You'll always find other cars once things become more certain. 1k is not enough for a rainy day when you're sans job and something happens.

Stick with this man's advice OP.:props:

SeaJay's
06-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I have a tendency to get a new ride every 3-4 years. I just end up getting bored with what I have.

Having just bought my 1st brand new car (the hhr ss) I hope to hold onto this for awhile.

I actually use to have an Altima and I hated it. But I think it was the car I had. Just had nothing but problems. The SE-R's are nice though. There are probably 5 or 6 in my area.

FUNX650
06-06-2011, 03:27 PM

:iagree: This man is giving you: GREAT ADVICE.

Sounds like your leaning towards the SE-R...But, IMHO, maybe you should...SAVE UP!!! :)

BOB

diablojota
06-06-2011, 04:42 PM
If I were to get this SE-R. I would keep it till it dies. Im just sort of thinking about this as an opportunity to get the car I actually wanted in the first place because I will likely not see one for sale 5 miles from my house ever again. These are probably about as uncommon to see on the road as an aston martin or other exotic car.

Also one thing I forgot to mention. My car is going to need to have the bumper repainted soon (quote was 571) due to peeling of cc at the seams. Also there is a rock chip with peeling clear on the fender that to fix would be atleast 1000 dollars. He said because they would have to blend it into every panel.

Im thinking that I could probably be better off putting that 1500 bucks into a lower mileage car that has nicer paint. I would just have to hope the dealer wouldnt take too much notice as the average person wont notice unless they know what to look for.

More math still doesn't add up. If you put that 1500 toward the new car, you're still outlaying another 2.5 to 3k and taking your savings to 1k. If you really want to spend your money wisely, touch up the panel with some Dr. Colorchip temporarily, put that money into an interest bearing account (e.g., CD, savings account, money market account, etc.) and wait. You never know when you'll need that money.