PDA

View Full Version : griots paint prep kit

PA DETAILER
06-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Paint Prep Kit - Restoration - Car Maintenance - Griot's Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenance/restoration/paint+prep+kit.do?search=basic&keyword=wax+prep&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

watched the video and looks to be a great product for stripping off old product and starting new. how would this compare to doing just a dawn wash? and i am interested in learning about other methods on how to strip old product. i know CC has soaps dedicated for this. whats your method for removal? and what products do you use?

IID
06-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Paint Prep Kit - Restoration - Car Maintenance - Griot's Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenance/restoration/paint+prep+kit.do?search=basic&keyword=wax+prep&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

watched the video and looks to be a great product for stripping off old product and starting new. how would this compare to doing just a dawn wash? and i am interested in learning about other methods on how to strip old product. i know CC has soaps dedicated for this. whats your method for removal? and what products do you use?

On my first application of CQuartz I ever did I used this product as my Pre-Cleaner.This was of coarse on MY personal vehicle.
The CQuartz on that vehicle is holding up like day one,and it was applied several months ago.
The product does Exactly as describes.
When I'm applying a Super Coating (i.e OC/OG,CQ,C1) to a corrected vehicle,I'll either grab OPC 3:1 or Griots Paint Prep.

Capa1970
06-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I just got the Griot's paint prep and intend to use it this weekend. A couple of questions:

1) I intend to use it prior to polishing to remove old wax and sealant. Can I use it after polishing to remove the polishing oils and residue prior to sealing and waxing?

2) Since it removes wax and sealant, can I use it as a pad cleaner? If so, how long do I let it set before washing it off?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm thoroughly impressed with a lot of Griot's Products, including the paint prep.

Audi X2
06-06-2011, 04:40 PM
I have both the paint prep and the pre-wax cleaner.
For my own vehicles these are my products of choice for their respective uses.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I have both the paint prep and the pre-wax cleaner.
For my own vehicles these are my products of choice for their respective uses.
:dblthumb2:

I use their pre-wax cleaner in place of IPA. Love it!

tw33k2514
06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Been using Dawn for a long time. But I may have to give this stuff a shot. I am sure its a lot better for the paint than Dawn.

Capa1970
06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I guess what I'm asking is can I use the paint prep in replacement if their pre wax cleaner? Also, can I use it as a pad cleaner?

I agree, Griot makes quality stuff. I bought their DA orbital package and so far really like their speed shine and the buffer. Their polish has a very nice finish.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I guess what I'm asking is can I use the paint prep in replacement if their pre wax cleaner? Also, can I use it as a pad cleaner?

They're both used in different ways. If you want to use the paint prep the same way they show to use the pre-wax cleaner(spray on, wipe off), I don't think that would work.

Not sure about a pad cleaner.

Capa1970
06-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Let me ask this. I'm planning to use Ultimate Compound (with yellow and orange LC 5" flat pads), then followed by Griots Polish 3 (with white pad) and then Menzerna 85 RD with white or black pad. I will follow with Duragloss 501 and then 24 hours later with Collinite 845 (both with black pad, which is the softest I own).
I've seen several posts where the Menzerna products "messed" with different sealants because it wasn't properly removed. I'm an amateur and I really want to avoid any complications. I have a dark blue Dodge Grand Caravan which seems to have hard paint (is it more accurate to say "hard clear-coat?") and a silver Lexus GS400 which seems to have soft paint.

ironman1982
06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Not to jack the thread but wouldn't Power Clean do the same thing at a much cheaper cost since it can be diluted 3:1?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Not to jack the thread but wouldn't Power Clean do the same thing at a much cheaper cost since it can be diluted 3:1?
I would think so, but it's always nice to use a situation specific product.

Capa1970
06-07-2011, 01:04 PM
The reason I'm asking is because I don't detail full-time nor part-time but just do my cars and don't want to hoard nor overspend on stuff I don't need or rarely would need. I'm happy at reaching 85% of what so many of you can reach in detailing. I've already spent close to $500 and don't want to spend much more for a while. I'd rather not buy a separate item to remove old wax and sealants, and then by another product to buy another product that will remove polish/compound and then another product to clean the pads. I have noticed that there are many here that use Dawn to remove waxes and sealants and to clean pads and so I am not alone in expressing my sentiments. I want to do a good job in detailing my cars but don't need perfection. I know that I'm avoiding situation specific products, but can I use with success Griots paint prep after I polish/compound to remove any residual and can I use it as a pad cleaner?