PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra, Why so Expensive?

Pages : [1] 2

Ghidorah
06-04-2011, 11:07 PM
All it is, is a film cut to match a template. Installers want $500-$900 for installation.

I'm almost tempted to tackle the install myself. If I can install a cellphone screen protector, then why should this be any different? I'm definitely working with a larger area, but I think the whole principle of using soapy water to keep the film slippery is the same as an Iphone/Droid vinyl screen protector.

Anyone care to elaborate on why this type of install is so expensive?

I've found 3M paint film kits on eBay from reputable sellers cut to the specific vehicle. They range from $220-$300

Jhaight11
06-04-2011, 11:11 PM
it seems easy but its not. biggest thing when applying is probably getting fingerprints on it. but what part of the car/truck is getting it?

Ghidorah
06-04-2011, 11:20 PM
it seems easy but its not. biggest thing when applying is probably getting fingerprints on it. but what part of the car/truck is getting it?

2011 Honda CR-Z. The hood,fenders, and mirrors look simple, The bumper looks challenging

Jhaight11
06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
only thing i could say is to do the easy ones yourself and let a professional do the harder ones. all you need is some soapy water in a spray bottle and a squeegee. maybe a place that does window tints could apply them for cheaper. (assuming you didnt already check)

oldmodman
06-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Just remember that those experienced installers use heat guns to soften the material, a ton of stretching and yanking, and then sometimes the heat gun again to shrink the material. All the while squegeeing the stuff down into contact with the car's bodywork. I have watched a local installer doing a Corvette and it was a lot of adjusting until it was perfect.

supercharged
06-05-2011, 02:11 AM
they charge because they can...what a rip off...

jpegs13
06-05-2011, 02:26 AM
They charge a lot for the following reasons:
The do a full correction on the car. Wax removal, swirl and scratch removal ( remember, you can't get to those once the film is on).

Talk to the local installer, tell him to give you a price of the material and installation only.
Tell him you will sign a release for the guarantee. ( the venture shield and 3m are guaranteed for life, so you'll have a manufacturers guarantee, not his labor)
Should reduce the price significantly.

jpegs13
06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
The do a full correction on the car. Wax removal, swirl and scratch removal ( remember, you can't get to those once the film is on).

Talk to the local installer, tell him to give you a price of the material and installation only.
Tell him you will sign a release for the guarantee. ( the venture shield and 3m are guaranteed for life, so you'll have a manufacturers guarantee, not his labor)
Should reduce the price significantly.

oops forgot, you do your own correction

d4dawg
06-05-2011, 05:10 AM
I agree with jhaight11, do the easy (flat) parts yourself. The curvy panels are best left for the pros. I did the fenders, A-pillars myself, those are basically flat and easy to do. I attempted to do the side mirrors (very curvy), and it was a total failure. I couldn't get the film to shape to the curve, even with a heat gun and lots of stretching.

kopsis
06-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Check out the YouTube videos from ClearDefender.com. They do an excellent job of showing what's involved in the install process for various panels including bumper and mirrors.

One of the keys is using IPA to deactivate the soap solution to make the material stick when in position. The other is lots of patience. It isn't quick or easy, but it isn't rocket science either.

FUNX650
06-05-2011, 07:32 AM
All it is, is a film cut to match a template. Installers want $500-$900 for installation.

One would think that after an installer of PPF has gone to and paid for training, been certified to do installation, purchased the plotter for cutting the PPF, paid for accessing the hundreds if not thousands of vehicle architectural prints to program the plotter for the pre-cut forms, or purchased the PPF in bulk, paid for the correct installation fluids/solutions, and after performing many, many, many installs, that their prices for installation wouldn't be so expensive.

Anyone care to elaborate on why this type of install is so expensive?

I've found 3M paint film kits on eBay from reputable sellers cut to the specific vehicle. They range from $220-$300

Sometimes one can find good car-care-products deals on ebay, sometimes not so good. :)

Just like any other service offered, it probably boils down to what the market can bear. Quote a price for any aspect of a detail, whether it being a car wash & dry to a complete paint correction, and watch the reaction from a potential customer. It will range from: You got to be kidding--the guy up the street is a whole lot cheaper. To: Go right ahead--I've seen your credentials and your referrals--damn the cost...I want it done correctly and I know you'll stand behind your work!

Just my musings on some service-providers and their prices.

Bob

jaymz
06-06-2011, 08:37 AM
screw the clear bra; here's what you need.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/jjaymz/prodpicb316.jpg

Jim

Ghidorah
06-06-2011, 11:18 PM
screw the clear bra; here's what you need.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/jjaymz/prodpicb316.jpg

Jim

No Thx.... That stuff looks too risky to put on my vehicle. It's permanent based on the demo video that I found.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr6n4mLJNKg]YouTube - ‪Crystal Clear 2K Chip Guard 9 min 2008‬‏[/video]

jaymz
06-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Of course it's permanent; it's sprayed on over the clear coat (none of those nasty tape lines). I can speak from personal experience that this stuff is a great product. Sprays on over your clearcoat. I had mine shot by my body guy and after a year it is still flawless.

Here's a pic:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/jjaymz/newmods.jpg

Just didn't want anyone dissing this stuff.

Jim

brumma
06-07-2011, 07:05 AM

I think you're generalizing a bit here. Maybe specify that a good installer would do those things. Mine sure didn't.