PDA

View Full Version : Steps on detailing a car

triumph808
06-04-2011, 10:48 PM
With all the wealth of knowledge and videos on this website and forum, I am having a little trouble putting it all together. I am curious to know what are the proper steps when you fully detail a car (wash/dry, clay, polish, wax)? I stopped by Kragen auto and asked the sales associate, from what he said, wash/dry then polish then wax then clay.

Next question is, if the car is clayed in the wrong order will it harm the car? Since I do not have enough time to do the whole detailing process by myself. I am going to take it to a shop that is reputable and does hand wash/dry using quality products, but knowing that this place does NOT clay the car, but only will wash/dry then wax, if I decide to clay the car on my own after the wax, will that be okay?

Finally I am curious to know if it is okay to use a "quick detailer" after the whole washing/drying/polishing/waxing/claying. From what I understand a quick detailer is used for "spot/touch up" treatments to keep the car looking good. And If it is okay to use on the car, when is it a good time to stop using it and go in for another detailing job? I ask because after you do a detailing job then can you just maintain it with the "quick detailing" after that? Or is it more cost effective to do the whole detailing vs. buying multiple bottles of "quick detailing".

As far as brands go I realize that asking a question about which is the best for washing/drying/etc...would not be the best thing to do because there are so many out there and bias opinions would not offer a truthful answer, so I will do my research and try out products for myself.

Thank you for any advice and help. Much appreciated

-Nick

maximus20895
06-04-2011, 10:53 PM
The guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The proper order is:
Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

Some can be left out, but if you want to do everything you do those. You can also do an IPA wipedown to remove the compound oils etc after each compound/polish process.

ScubaCougr
06-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

:iagree:

Are you sure the wash guy will do a decent job? And if all he's going to do is wash, save your money and do a nice 2 bucket wash yourself.

Then do as much claying and polishing as you have time for. Even if it's one body panel at a time. Then seal the entire car.

Over 2-3 washings you should be able to get all the steps done on the entire car. And if you're washing properly you won't be scratching up the areas you worked on last time.

Jhaight11
06-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

Some can be left out, but if you want to do everything you do those. You can also do an IPA wipedown to remove the compound oils etc after each compound/polish process.

triumph808
06-05-2011, 03:25 AM

Are you sure the wash guy will do a decent job? And if all he's going to do is wash, save your money and do a nice 2 bucket wash yourself.

Then do as much claying and polishing as you have time for. Even if it's one body panel at a time. Then seal the entire car.

Over 2-3 washings you should be able to get all the steps done on the entire car. And if you're washing properly you won't be scratching up the areas you worked on last time.

Now I am a little nervous about taking it to this detail place based on what you guys have said. The place that I am going to take the car to get detailed is going to Wash the exterior and Wax the exterior along with interior cleaning and tire dressing. The thing that makes me nervous is will it harm my car if he does a wash/dry then immediately does waxing WITHOUT doing the claying, polishing, sealing before waxing?

triumph808
06-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

Which steps can you leave out?

BobbyG
06-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Hey Nick,

The sales guy may not be familiar enough with the process and put the order of operation a bit backwards. The guys here have given you the proper sequence of steps and this will work well.

Claying should be done after a thorough wash. This step removes all the particles and debris embedded in the paint that a regular wash just can't remove. It also removes any remaining wax that might be lest leaving the surface clean in preparation for paint correction and polishing.

Quick detailer or a detail spray is used to clean up and remove minor dust and give the finish just a little boost to make it look great. Occasionally I'll use "it" then go over the car with a spray wax.

One spray wax product that rises to the top in my book is Optimum Spray Wax. This is an incredible product that goes on easily and buffs to a brilliant shine and should be used to increase the longevity of your detail.

Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax made with real carnauba and synthetic paint sealants for protection & shine! high-grade carnauba wax and silicone (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html)

BobbyG
06-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Which steps can you leave out?

It all depends what your goals are and what the finish looks like.

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

You may be able to get away with a polish in order to remove much of the finish defects thus removing the compounding. Sealant is a product that many are not familiar with but typically protect longer than waxes and go down easily so I recommend keeping "it" and forgo the wax step.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Seal

Larry A
06-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Depending on how bad your car is wash ,clay, polish, seal should do it . Clay will leave your paint much smother and make your sealant last longer.

Mike Phillips
06-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Next question is, if the car is clayed in the wrong order will it harm the car?

No but normally you remove anything "on top" of the paint before going for defects "in" the paint, that way they're out of the way.

The link below goes to a thread with a video you can watch that includes a fairly detailed explanation of how clay works.

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/24319-show-car-garage-video-how-detailing-clay-works-how-use-detailing-clay-remove-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

:)

triumph808
06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I want to thank everyone who has posted a reply to my questions about detailing a car. Everyone was very helpful. I am wrapping up my research and so far have the Wash, Polish/Sealant, Glass cleaner, Clay Bar, interior cleaners ready to order. The one thing that I am stuck on is the tire and wheel cleaners/polishes. I don't seem to see a lot of brands that sell Tire cleaners, but more Tire Shiners/Glosses/Polishes. I am wondering if you wash your tires with the car wash solution, then use the Tire shine/gloss/polish, once your tires start to get dirty again can you just keep reapplying the Tire shine/gloss/polish on dirty tires? Or do you have to go through the process of washing the tires again then reapplying the gloss?

maximus20895
06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
For well maintained wheels/tires you can use normal car wash, but for really dirty wheels a wheel cleaner is recommended. As for the tire shine/dressing etc it is best if the wheel is clean before re applying it. It still will work, but it will last longer on a cleaner tire.