PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of an AIO sealer wax

bradman77
06-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I recently picked up some Menzerna APO60 sealer wax and am wondering what the proper use for application by hand is. After reading the sticky notes/videos on wax and the Menzerna product page I am wondering:

1) How much and what is the best method to "work" this wax by hand prior to letting it dry to a haze and buffing with a microfiber? ( Vehicle application is a daily driver that gets professionally detailed and sealed twice a year so paint is in pretty good shape)

2) Straight line method or circular motion given this is not a finishing wax?

3) What would be the appropriate side of a German pad to use, orange or black?

4) Buff out using the break open method and take little bites?

5) Top off with a finishing wax for eye popping wet look and added protection?

Just wondering because the wax sticky's and product page provide good info but for me not necessarily the correct approach for use of an AIO.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I recently picked up some Menzerna APO60 sealer wax and am wondering what the proper use for application by hand is. After reading the sticky notes/videos on wax and the Menzerna product page I am wondering:

Well I'll take a stab at answering your questions...

1) How much and what is the best method to "work" this wax by hand prior to letting it dry to a haze and buffing with a microfiber? ( Vehicle application is a daily driver that gets professionally detailed and sealed twice a year so paint is in pretty good shape)

Since the car is a daily driver, regularly maintained and you say it's in pretty good shape, then you should be able to apply using a thin, but ample coating. You want to use enough product that spreading it out is easy but not waste any.

The times you use an AIO or cleaner/wax wet or heavy is when you're working on neglected paint.

The below is from this thread and it's in the context of machine polishing but it should help here too...

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/26962-how-much-product-do-i-use-my-da-polisher.html)

Use an "ample" amount of product
When I say use an ample amount of product this means don’t use too much product and don’t use to little product.

From The Free Dictionary.com

am·ple
adjective

1. Of large or great size, amount, extent, or capacity: an ample living room.

a. Large in degree, kind, or quantity: an ample reward.
b. More than enough: ample evidence.

3. Fully sufficient to meet a need or purpose: had ample food for the party.

Out of the above definitions, I'm using the 3rd definition.

Using too much product
If you use too much you can hyper-lubricate the surface and this will make it more difficult for the abrasives to abrade the surface as they’ll tend to want to glide or slip over the surface instead of bite into the surface.

Using too little product
If you use too little product there won’t be enough lubrication to enable the buffing pad to rotate and thus engage the abrasives against the surface so they can bite into and remove small particles of paint.
You want an AMPLE amount of product when first starting out because you pad is dry and some of the product is going to seep into the pad leaving less on the surface to LUBRICATE and ABRADE the paint.

2) Straight line method or circular motion given this is not a finishing wax?

As long as everything is surgically clean, then either or... a good way to use the straightline method is to start out using a circular motion to get the product spread out over the area you're working and then move to straightline motions...

3) What would be the appropriate side of a German pad to use, orange or black?

Black because the orange is too aggressive for your car's paint condition and this type of product.

4) Buff out using the break open method and take little bites?

I would.

5) Top off with a finishing wax for eye popping wet look and added protection?

Yes, for the reasons you listed.

:xyxthumbs:

bradman77
06-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Well I'll take a stab at answering your questions...

Since the car is a daily driver, regularly maintained and you say it's in pretty good shape, then you should be able to apply using a thin, but ample coating. You want to use enough product that spreading it out is easy but not waste any.

The times you use an AIO or cleaner/wax wet or heavy is when you're working on neglected paint.

The below is from this thread and it's in the context of machine polishing but it should help here too...

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/26962-how-much-product-do-i-use-my-da-polisher.html)

Use an "ample" amount of product
When I say use an ample amount of product this means don’t use too much product and don’t use to little product.

From The Free Dictionary.com

Out of the above definitions, I'm using the 3rd definition.
Using too much product
If you use too much you can hyper-lubricate the surface and this will make it more difficult for the abrasives to abrade the surface as they’ll tend to want to glide or slip over the surface instead of bite into the surface.

Using too little product
If you use too little product there won’t be enough lubrication to enable the buffing pad to rotate and thus engage the abrasives against the surface so they can bite into and remove small particles of paint.
You want an AMPLE amount of product when first starting out because you pad is dry and some of the product is going to seep into the pad leaving less on the surface to LUBRICATE and ABRADE the paint.

As long as everything is surgically clean, then either or... a good way to use the straightline method is to start out using a circular motion to get the product spread out over the area you're working and then move to straightline motions...

Black because the orange is too aggressive for your car's paint condition and this type of product.

I would.

Yes, for the reasons you listed.

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the tips. Your background and willingness to help others is greatly appreciated!