PDA

View Full Version : Mothers VLR Impressions...

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
06-04-2011, 01:04 PM
I have read that VLR gives a matte finish. This is what I look for from an interior protectant. I used it on my z06 dash that was cleaned with OPC @ 3:1, then wiped with a damp MF towel. I applied VLR with a Mothers MF applicator. Coverage was very uniform. It goes on pretty wet, but dries nicely. Most interior protectants I've tried will darken the finish(which I like), but they also left behind a shinier finish than I prefer. VLR did darken the finish on my dash, BUT, it finished with very little sheen. I would consider it a matte finish. I'd say the sheen(very little) is right there with Sonax Dashboard cleaner, but it darkens the finish more than Sonax. I've only tried it on my interior panels. I use LM protection on leather. VLR is winner! :dblthumb2:

LuxuryMobile
06-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I have heard alot about VLR, all good things. May have to give it a shot. Mark, does it have any sort of scent?

Jhaight11
06-04-2011, 01:50 PM
probably one of VERY few products i like that i can get at a local autozone

James K
06-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I knew you would like it. Mothers has a lot great quality products IMO.

tw33k2514
06-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Ive been using meguiars natural shine, and I think it gives a great matte finish. I think with all the good things im hearing I am going to have to try some VLR though.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Ive been using meguiars natural shine, and I think it gives a great matte finish. I think with all the good things im hearing I am going to have to try some VLR though.
I'm going to pick up some natural shine to compare.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I have heard alot about VLR, all good things. May have to give it a shot. Mark, does it have any sort of scent?
Stephen, it's a leather like scent, cant really put a finger on it. Once applied, you can't smell it at all.

gatoman39
06-04-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm going to pick up some natural shine to compare.
Natural shine is still a little on the greasy side. It comes out like a gel, even though it's in a spray bottle. Plus it started to separate in the bottle. I believe the formula is improved now but, I haven't tried the 2011 version. Like most Megs it does smell great.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Natural shine is still a little on the greasy side. It comes out like a gel, even though it's in a spray bottle. Plus it started to separate in the bottle. I believe the formula is improved now but, I haven't tried the 2011 version. Like most Megs it does smell great.
You just saved me a few bucks. Not sure if they changed anything other than the bottle.

gatoman39
06-04-2011, 03:29 PM
You just saved me a few bucks. Not sure if they changed anything other than the bottle.
It's not as shiny as Supreme Shine, but it's still shiny. Some people like that. On a beige dash, it's fine, on black it looks a little...well, you know. I love Meguiars, but not these products.
However, on MG website it lists for 6.99 and apparently has 3M scotchguard in there, so the formula has changed from when I got it 2 years ago. It may be worth a shot since it's cheap.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/imagesEdp/p84739z.jpg

WRAPT C5Z06
06-04-2011, 04:12 PM
It's not as shiny as Supreme Shine, but it's still shiny. Some people like that. On a beige dash, it's fine, on black it looks a little...well, you know. I love Meguiars, but not these products.
However, on MG website it lists for 6.99 and apparently has 3M scotchguard in there, so the formula has changed from when I got it 2 years ago. It may be worth a shot since it's cheap.
Thanks, I'll pass. VLR gives a nice finish!

gatoman39
06-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks, I'll pass. VLR gives a nice finish!
My hunch is that Supreme shine has a similar silicone composition as many other vinyl/rubber/plastic protectants, 303AP, Vinylex, etc. According to the Mothers website, VLR is a lanolin/neats foot composition, which is probably why it's ok to use on leather as wel, and may explain why it's devoid of shine.
However, whether it protects a black dash in the middle of the August sun better than a UV stabilized product like 303AP is something I have no answer for.

tw33k2514
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Maybe that's why I like it. Have yet to do a black dash with it. Only light colors thus far

WRAPT C5Z06
06-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Maybe that's why I like it. Have yet to do a black dash with it. Only light colors thus far
Almost anything looks decent on light interiors. Dark interiors tell the real story.

Bunky
06-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Mark, it is nice to see you got the same results as I did. It does darken but just does not add much sheen. When I use it, the very light leather scent lingered for a few days.

I use Leather Masters Protection Cream occasionally but do use VLR on leather (perforated) as well. It just adds a touch of slickness compared to LM which adds the least of any leather product I have used but VLR seems to add less slickness than Four Star, DP, and PB Leather Stuff.