PDA

View Full Version : Paint on tires.

Ted S.
06-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Intro.

A good friend of mine recently bought a set of Aluminum blade rims; which he purchased for a very good deal: about $250 with tires. The reasone the previous owner sold the rims was because he had clear-coated the tires, and probably not prepped enough. I guess they looked really bad.

Ok, so my friend used something called Aircraft to remove the paint. But there is still a good bit of paint left on the tires.

Question

Is there a safe method to remove paint from the tires?

¤Note: I used some ARO and removed some of the clear, but it seemed very ineffective to remove the paint overall.

Flash Gordon
06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
No, there is nothing that will easily remove paint off a tire. Tell your friend they better get use to it, or get another set

Which I had better news

Flash

sohail99
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Is the clear on tyre sidewalls??? :confused:

Ted S.
06-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Yup.

sohail99
06-04-2011, 01:37 PM
A bodyshop had gotten some clear on my window trim(rubber) and I removed it with a terry towel and IPA.

On sidewalls, you can use ARO or OPC with a tire scrub or brush(Cobra Flex Foam Tire Detailing Bundle Buy One, Get One Free! (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-flex-foam-tire-bundle.html))

I'd be pretty aggressive on the sidewalls.

Ted S.
06-04-2011, 01:42 PM
U

A bodyshop had gotten some clear on my window trim(rubber) and I removed it with a terry towel and IPA.

On sidewalls, you can use ARO or OPC with a tire scrub or brush(Cobra Flex Foam Tire Detailing Bundle Buy One, Get One Free! (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-flex-foam-tire-bundle.html))

I'd be pretty aggressive on the sidewalls.

I used some ARO and one of the scrub applicators when I detailed his car last, but he was in a hurry and said not to worry too much at the time. I'm going over there tomorrow, and may try this some more. Maybe a good bresh for the lettering.

sohail99
06-04-2011, 01:46 PM
U might wanna mask the rims if you're going aggressive on the sidewalls.

I was wondering how wheel brightner or some oxalic acid based rim cleaner would respond to it! (But I always keep all that hazardous stuff for worst case scenarios! :eek:)

93fox
06-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Have you tried lacquer thinner? with a brush.