PDA

View Full Version : Did you know this about the Better Business Bureau (BBB)???

Bates Detailing
06-04-2011, 11:21 AM
One of my guys just asked me if B & B was an accredited BBB business - I said, not sure?!?!? So I find this out :

"If a business has been accredited by the BBB, it means the BBB has determined that the business meets accreditation standards which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB accredited businesses pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
BBB accreditation does not mean that the business’ products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by the BBB, or that the BBB has made a determination as to the business’ product quality or competency in performing services.
Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation."

Im kind of shocked about this. Seems that ALOT of people rely on the BBB as a standard in business when in all actuality you have to pay for it?!?!?! So if you are not an accredited BBB business then that doesnt mean the business is garbage, just that they didnt pay right?!?!?! I think this creates a big misconception for the public.

MDetail
06-04-2011, 11:31 AM
When I had my auto shop I had called one year asking about that accredited BBB member if I remember correctly it was about $175. And just like it says, this doesn't mean you are a good or bad business it basically means you paid. You can have an A+ rating and not be an actual accredited member. I thought more people were turning to Yelp, and sites of the sort. Get your customers to give you reviews on yahoo, yelp and other similar sites, then post those links on your website and your customers will probably forget all about the BBB

Bates Detailing
06-04-2011, 11:42 AM
When I had my auto shop I had called one year asking about that accredited BBB member if I remember correctly it was about $175. And just like it says, this doesn't mean you are a good or bad business it basically means you paid. You can have an A+ rating and not be an actual accredited member. I thought more people were turning to Yelp, and sites of the sort. Get your customers to give you reviews on yahoo, yelp and other similar sites, then post those links on your website and your customers will probably forget all about the BBB

Havent checked out yelp yet...... but my reviews are definitely coming in quick..... I just posted some on my homepage the other day. I guess I was just shocked to read that about the BBB

Fast Eddie
06-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I watched this 20/20 episode about the BBB last year:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw]YouTube - ‪Better Business Bureau 20/20 Investigation‬‏[/video]

BBB=scam

Bates Detailing
06-04-2011, 11:57 AM
I watched this 20/20 episode about the BBB last year:
- ‪Better Business Bureau 20/20 Investigation‬‏ ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw)

BBB=scam

WOW - thats crazy

MDetail
06-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Havent checked out yelp yet...... but my reviews are definitely coming in quick..... I just posted some on my homepage the other day. I guess I was just shocked to read that about the BBB

If you don't think it will be too much trouble, ask your clients to post reviews on public sites, so that people know they are coming from outside sources and not just your posting something on your website.

Flash Gordon
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
BBB = Shakedown

Save your money

Rob T
06-04-2011, 04:10 PM
BBB = Shakedown

Save your money

Exactly.

This is old news. BBB is a joke.

2old2change
06-04-2011, 05:57 PM
A lot of people are checking sites like Angie's List to see if you have any amount of complaints. I also see some detailers claiming to have a great rating through them in the detailing category. Jimmy Buffett and a few others here locally seem to incorporate this in their adds. Never used or had any experience with the BBB.

Flash Gordon
06-04-2011, 06:05 PM
A lot of people are checking sites like Angie's List to see if you have any amount of complaints. I also see some detailers claiming to have a great rating through them in the detailing category. Jimmy Buffett and a few others here locally seem to incorporate this in their adds. Never used or had any experience with the BBB.

Jimmy Buffit is an awesome detailers name :props:

2old2change
06-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Jim runs a top notch shop and a little marketing never hurts. LOL

ryanbabz71
06-04-2011, 06:28 PM
check out angies list. Seems to be a better option?

Doctor Reviews & Contractors Ratings - Find a Doctor or General Contractor | Angie's List (http://www.angieslist.com)

I have no idea why it puts that above. Looks like spam but its not. Basically people review businesses and put it online. Started here in the Indy area and has taken off all over.

TLMitchell
06-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Im kind of shocked about this. Seems that ALOT of people rely on the BBB as a standard in business when in all actuality you have to pay for it?!?!?! So if you are not an accredited BBB business then that doesnt mean the business is garbage, just that they didnt pay right?!?!?! I think this creates a big misconception for the public.

BBB is worthless to the consumer, IMO. Had trouble getting a contractor back to smooth out the finishing touches on a job. Made a simple BBB inquiry and they treated it as a complaint. Contractor responded that he intended to finish properly, case closed, A+ rating retained. Contractor never returned.

After a followup with BBB I was told the case was closed with a satisfactory end, I'd need to file another complaint if I wanted to followup. Of course, then the contractor responds again with intent to make good... lather, rinse, repeat.

Seems to me if you do shaky work and want to hedge against complaints $175/yr for a BBB acreditation would be a good investment.

TL

Flash Gordon
06-06-2011, 12:26 PM
check out angies list. Seems to be a better option?

Doctor Reviews & Contractors Ratings - Find a Doctor or General Contractor | Angie's List (http://www.angieslist.com)

I have no idea why it puts that above. Looks like spam but its not. Basically people review businesses and put it online. Started here in the Indy area and has taken off all over.

Whilst I enjoy the Angies List commercials (especially the one w/the plumber parading the dog whilst it drops duece) I believe Angies List is nothing but a stick up too

What does it take to have a brother/sister/mother/father/aunt/uncle/step-brother/step-sister/mother in law/father-in-law/second cousin/third cousin write a postive review for you there

Plus they charge a fee :nomore:

WEST SIDE
06-07-2011, 01:11 AM
There is no replacement for word of mouth advertising.I know a couple of hack contractors and they are the ones to list the BBB accreditation because most consumers think that this is some sort of A+ referral