PDA

View Full Version : Cheating a customer scenerio 2

fredcandetail
06-04-2011, 09:08 AM
If a customer pays for a 2 Step Polish (AIO plus a sealant) would I be cheating them if i laid down 151 or 205 and OptiSeal or UPGP instead of M21 or PowerLock?

V3AutoDetailing
06-04-2011, 09:21 AM
This is why you agree on the amount of correction that would be achieved.
If you say you will remove 50% of the defects and you do. If you hten sealed it, you did what was agreed.

Now if didnt remove any defects and just did a quick pass with 151 and then did not seal. This would be scamming

Lasthope05
06-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Opti-seal and UPGP are full stand alone sealants so there would be no difference if you used them in place of a traditional wax/sealant. However, if you are selling the customer a 2 step polish and are only doing a single polishing step(aio) and calling your waxing process another step then that is cheating the customer.

MDetail
06-04-2011, 09:45 AM
It doesn't seem like much of a difference. I don't know what AIO you were planning on using, but it seems like the customer would benefit from the change. Just like gt said, you should let them know the results you will be able to achieve, not the exact products you would be using.

aerogt01
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
My first disagreement would be calling and AIO then a sealant a 2-step polish. I would sell this as a 1-step with added protection.

However, if you did a moderate polish followed by an AIO with sealant properties, then no, not entirely.

If you want guidance, look back at your original post. If what you told the customer was AIO plus a sealant, then you better lay down an AIO and then a sealant, using whatever AIO will get the proper amount of correction and end result.

If you told the customer a 2-step polish, then you should physically polish the paint twice as that is what the customer believes they are paying for. If you want to make the second step a decent correcting AIO or sell a wax/sealant separately and save the second step for a finishing polish, that is up to you. You would most likely get better results separating the steps (special interest cars, knowledgeable customers), but save money and time combining them (daily drivers, soccer moms). Whatever you do don't charge the soccer mom the same amount you charged the special interest car - it helps to charge corrections by the hour.

I outright state if one of the products is a "Cleaner Wax" or if their car is receiving a good "sealant."

In the end, keep your customer informed as to what kind of end result they will expect when you are done and how long they can expect those results to last. Price accordingly, and always over-deliver.

LuxuryMobile
06-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Agree with the comments made that putting a sealant or wax down via machine does not count as a polishing step, IMO at least.

fredcandetail
06-04-2011, 09:08 PM
interesting ....... When i sell an AIO process i tell customers that AIO (151) is a product that combines 3 products in one (Compound, polish and sealant) and that longevity is about 3 months or so but for added protection I include another "step" which is the sealant ....
my main concern was Opti Seal and UPGP being equivalent to a traditional sealant.

aerogt01
06-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Opti Seal and UPGP being equivalent to a traditional sealant.

They some of the better sealants out there, so I wouldn't worry about cheating them in that respect.

sal329
06-04-2011, 10:19 PM
If a customer pays for a 2 step polish they get a 2 step polish not an AIO with a sealant. I would sell that as a one step gloss enhancement polish.

maximus20895
06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I view a step as using some sort of compound/polish to remove paint. I'm sorry, but a sealant/was is not a step..

If that was the case I could put a sealant and then a wax on, call it a two step and remove zero paint..

fredcandetail
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
ahhhh i see where i went wrong here.... I said a 2 step Polish where I meant to say 2 Step Process.
I totally agree that if I sell a 2 step polish i best use some sort of polish and compound at least twice.