PDA

View Full Version : Dressing tires and trim

Pages : [1] 2

tw33k2514
06-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I am trying to figure out a good medium between cost and quality for dressing exterior trim and tires. I don't want the dressing to just vanish after some rain. But at the same time, I feel like as long as the UTTG lasts, it is not worth the cost. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I would like something that can be diluted if possible. As I am trying to make money here :hungry:

onlycodered
06-03-2011, 11:08 PM
My favorite stuff to use is Optimum Opti-bond Tire Gel. Works well if you dilute it 1:1 with water and use a pump sprayer to apply it.

This is the sprayer I ended up getting and it works quite well: Solo 418 sprayer - 1 liter pressurized hand sprayer (http://www.solousa.com/store/flypage/handheld_sprayers/418_.html)

maximus20895
06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
The best dressing for the money is Meguiar's Hyperdressing. Can be diluted up to 4:1, but most do 3:1. At 4:1 though, that's 5 gallons of dressing for under $40!

If you are wanting it to be diluted then it's water based so it will not last as long.

tw33k2514
06-03-2011, 11:30 PM
The best dressing for the money is Meguiar's Hyperdressing. Can be diluted up to 4:1, but most do 3:1. At 4:1 though, that's 5 gallons of dressing for under $40!

If you are wanting it to be diluted then it's water based so it will not last as long.
Good point. I just don't want my clients to feel ripped off because the rain took of the trim and tire dressing.

maximus20895
06-04-2011, 12:27 AM
I know several detailers who use hyper dressing with very satisfied customers so don't x it out just because it's water based. There are a ton of dressings that are water based.

Scarelane
06-04-2011, 12:41 AM
I really like the Griot's Garage Vinyl & Rubber Dressing . Nice clean look with out the fake shiny appearance.

tw33k2514
06-04-2011, 12:42 AM
I know several detailers who use hyper dressing with very satisfied customers so don't x it out just because it's water based. There are a ton of dressings that are water based.
Guess I will give it a shot. I do like the price.

Shane731
06-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Have you considered this product: Poorboy's World Bold 'N Bright Tire Dressing Gel, tire shine, tire protectant, Poorboys bold and bright tire gel (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-tire-dressing-gel.html). I have the spray version and I think it's great for tires - haven't used it on trim though. I understand the new gel version can be used on both tires and trim. Pretty good deal at $50 for a gallon too.

maximus20895
06-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Can it be diluted?

MDetail
06-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Okay a couple of responses here. I absolutely LOVE megs HD 4:1 but in the tire area I just prefer PB Bold N Bright (I use the spray not gel) just slightly more than HD. In your case I would purchase HD (in fact if you want some ill give you a small tester amount.) Yes it might wash off a little quicker than some items, but from what I remembered PB BNB used to last me a good 3 or more washes, I don't remember how the Megs HD has been holding up (maybe that means I need to do a test). The other thing you could do, if megs HD isn't holding up to your standards during wet seasons, is purchase something like megs All Season Dressing and just use it in full form during those wet months. Or instead of that purchase the poorboys bold n bright and dilute it to your desire (I used to go 2:1)

Poorboy's World Bold N Bright 32 oz. Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/pbbnb32.html)

Can it be diluted?

I just read the label on my bottle the other day, and it does say you can dilute it, but it doesn't give any recommended ratios, nor does it give a max ratio.

maximus20895
06-04-2011, 01:59 AM
So that mean it dilutes 45058956908:1!!!!

Weird how it says that..kinda zero help at all.

Emm
06-04-2011, 06:21 AM
I use PB Bold N Bright and I am very happy with it, leaves a nice finish doesn't sling if you don't put it on too thick. I haven't tried Meg HD so I can't comment on it.

CEE DOG
06-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I understand what your saying OP but once you have used UTTG its just hard to recommend something else for trim. As little as it takes and long as it lasts it is not an expensive product imo. If I must redeemed something cheap for trim I will definitely recommend Meguiars Ultimate Protectant.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/33295-review-meguiars-ultimate-protectant.html

For tires I think DP is one of your best options but a couple coats of UTTG last sooo much longer than anything else.

MDetail
06-04-2011, 09:26 AM
So that mean it dilutes 45058956908:1!!!!

Weird how it says that..kinda zero help at all.

Yeah, even the direct website says "Can be diluted" nothing else.
poorboysworld.com (http://poorboysworld.com/bold-bright.htm)

I was thinking about giving them a call for recommended ratios.

onlycodered
06-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Keep in mind as well that water-based dressing such as the Opti-bond Tire Gel will not harm paint and won't make your tires brown after it washes off and won't attract dust and dirt as easily.

I've had some bad experiences with solvent-based dressings where tires turn very brown if there's a thunderstorm the following day and it all gets washed off.