PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on spray wax and clay lube?

Jeffrey
06-03-2011, 02:09 AM
I can't figure out how much I need. I used a whole bottle of pinnacle clay lube on a 2002 Nissan maxima.

I have tried the pinnacle spray wax on just the hood in the shade and I made it look worse.

I NEED HELP,
THANKS FOR YOUR TIPS

john b
06-03-2011, 02:23 AM
get a rinseless product for clay lube-optimum and duragloss make good spray waxes imo

Arnie36
06-03-2011, 02:28 AM
ONR or DP Wash and Gloss make effective clay lubes and you have the connivence of mixing more up if you run out!

spray wax, i like Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. it leaves a nice slick surface, is pretty cheap and beads water like a good carnauba.

and what did you mean you made the spray wax look worse?

Jeffrey
06-03-2011, 03:03 AM
I sprayed it on and used a microfiber cloth to wipe it on the paint then flipped over the cloth and buffed it. Then I spent 30min walking around the hood wipe here, wipe there wipe every where. It says you can do a whole car in 10min. Well not me.

I saw something about spray in a cross hatch pattern but I don't know what it means.

Arnie36
06-03-2011, 06:55 AM
I sprayed it on and used a microfiber cloth to wipe it on the paint then flipped over the cloth and buffed it. Then I spent 30min walking around the hood wipe here, wipe there wipe every where. It says you can do a whole car in 10min. Well not me.

I saw something about spray in a cross hatch pattern but I don't know what it means.

so what happened is that it caused a lot of streaking? or that it took a while?

BobbyG
06-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Jeff,

You can easily make your own spray lube by mixing 1 to 2 ounces of your favorite liquid car wash with 30 ounces of clean water...

The paint on your Maxima may be slightly oxidized or needs a cleaner step before wax.

Typically, spray waxes are great after a sealant or wax has been applied. Spray waxes are great for maintaining but don't work well as a final step. They won't replace a sealant or wax.

silverfox
06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Everyone should have ONR or DP Rinesless wash or a waterless wash product on their shelf at this point. They all make perfect clay lubes.

I know many will laugh, but my favorite spray wax (to maintain with) is an OTC product...Meguiar's Ultimate Quik wax (found at Walmart for under $10). Its about as easy to use in any temperature, and puts down a nice gloss and just enough protection for between LSP wax applications. Duragloss Awax is another such product and can be found at Car Quest and other OTC places as well.

HeavyMetal
06-03-2011, 07:53 AM
I can't figure out how much I need. I used a whole bottle of pinnacle clay lube on a 2002 Nissan maxima.

WOW :eek:. Like others have recommended, I use a rinseless wash diluted to lube strength. I've done 5 cars and used maybe 2 bottles. Best way I've found is to do a rinseless wash with either DP or Optimum rinseless, leave the car wet and mist each panel with a few sprays as you clay. I'll also flush the clay with a few sprays before each panel. You need to to this in a garage or at least in the shade. Garage is better as a strong breeze will dry the car while you're trying to do it.

No comments on the spray waxes, don't use them.

Good luck. :xyxthumbs:

XLNTShine
06-03-2011, 08:21 AM
I just purchased the Optimum Car Wax... the stuff went on with out streaking. I sprayed the car while it was still wet after washing and dried the car with a few MF towels. I noticed a quick difference in the beading of water, this was applied over DP Poly-coat.

William

Jeffrey
06-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the information, I have the Optimum no rinse and also a 32oz bottle of DP Clay Lube. I don't even know how many bottles of spray wax. This is going to be long but interesting before I figure all this out.
Thanks

Kean
06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
I know many will laugh, but my favorite spray wax (to maintain with) is an OTC product...Meguiar's Ultimate Quik wax (found at Walmart for under $10). Its about as easy to use in any temperature, and puts down a nice gloss and just enough protection for between LSP wax applications. Duragloss Awax is another such product and can be found at Car Quest and other OTC places as well. ….I can’t imagine why many would laugh. Those that think a product that is found OTC somehow lacks in quality/performance compared to those from online/boutique sources are delusional. While I don’t consistently use spray waxes, I have found Duragloss AquaWax to be an excellent, user friendly product. I have yet to have any streaking issues with it. I also like DG’s Car Wash Concentrate (#901/902). ….all of which AG sells and usually where I get mine from since we don’t have it locally. In fact, that’s one of thing I like about AG (they carry a wide range of products and typically most of which I need).

My QD of choice these days has been FK425.

TornadoRed
06-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I use pinnacle spray wax from time to time. At first it was streaky for me but I realized I was using too much. A hood should be no more than 3 or 4 light sprays. It usually dries before I even flip the mf around.
It doesn't work very well if the hood is hot from being in the sun or recently driven.

Showroom Shine
06-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Spray Wax, I like Griot's Garage Spray wax. For clay lube ,ONR as most have said!

Old Tiger
06-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Jeff,

You can easily make your own spray lube by mixing 1 to 2 ounces of your favorite liquid car wash with 30 ounces of clean water...

The paint on your Maxima may be slightly oxidized or needs a cleaner step before wax.

Typically, spray waxes are great after a sealant or wax has been applied. Spray waxes are great for maintaining but don't work well as a final step. They won't replace a sealant or wax.
Listen to Bobby! I recommend Duragloss 105 for a great low cost All In One (AIO). Then use Spray Wax after.