PDA

View Full Version : What do I do?

Pages : [1] 2

spyder Ned
06-02-2011, 01:52 PM
In one week I will pick up new Audi R8 Spyder. What procedures and products should I utilize to best protect my new car? Also, I used to show classic corvettes. I liked Meguairs #7 for the best wet look. Anything do a better job for wet look?

PS. color for R8 is Brilliant Red.

Thanks for your help!http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/dancebanana1si.gif

Y2KSVT
06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
If it's BRAND new, I'd start by telling the salesman to have the car delivered without any prep work from the dealership!! Too many horror stories of those guys swirling up brand new paint.

You'll get a whole variety of answers on this forum on what will give you the best shine. "Best" is subjective, so it's really up to the end user and the vehicle they're applying it to. What might look great on one color of paint, may not look as good on another. You really can't go wrong with any of the quality waxes that Autogeek offers. The only wax I personally have from Autogeek is Natty's red paste wax and I think it looks incredible. At $20, I think it's an incredible deal. Others may point you towards Wolfgang Fuzion which is much more expensive, but is known to give a great look. Either way, you can't go wrong!

Mark

spyder Ned
06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the tip about the dealer. I've already done that. In fact he's going to call me when the car is to be delivered and I'm going to take a movie of the car coming off the van. Audi delivers all R8s In a sort of envelope in an enclosed van. I asked him to do no more than wash the car.

93fox
06-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the tip about the dealer. I've already done that. In fact he's going to call me when the car is to be delivered and I'm going to take a movie of the car coming off the van. Audi delivers all R8s In a sort of envelope in an enclosed van. I asked him to do no more than wash the car.

Them actually washing the car is what you dont want them to do. Its better off if you take it home like that without them doing nothing to the paint.

spyder Ned
06-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I guess that makes sense too. I'll just say take it out of the envelope and that's it. Thanks for that.

embolism
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
There was a great and through detail of a new VW GTI posted a bit back. Might be too much to handle without the proper equipment but it will give you a good idea what can be done for a new car...

spyder Ned
06-02-2011, 04:12 PM
93fox
Not very good at this computer thing. Thanks for your help.

93fox
06-02-2011, 04:26 PM
93fox
Not very good at this computer thing. Thanks for your help.

Yea just check that link i sent you! Click on it and it will open up the page i reccomend you to see.

tempter927
06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
First off, that car is awesome!!.

Although the paint may not be 100% perfect when the car arrives, I suspect that it will look great and be scratch/swirl free. The more the paint is touched the more chances that swirls will be scratched into the paint.

1. learn the proper methods to wash/dry your vehicle, or find a topnotch detailer with credentials from clients who own 100K+ rides. If you do it yourself just read up on this site, there is tons of information and it will take you a week or two to soak alot of it in.

2. Be sure to apply a good sealant to the paint once the paint is cleaned and prepared for sealant/wax. ( once again there is literally thousands of thread on here of different sealants/waxes and how to apply correctly.)

3. Dont neglect the alloy wheels!!! they should be sealed as well, I neglected mine and they have a million tar spots. When wheels are sealed with a quality sealant you will wash then with carwash soap and water as opposed to a dedicated wheel cleaner.

4. Find a reputable detailer/clear bra installer and inquire about a clear bra. I'd put it on the front bumper at least and possibly the mirrors and front fenders (If you're not familiar with what a clear bra is just do a search once again plenty of info out there).

Best of luck with the new whip!

spyder Ned
06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I saw everything you sent me. I just didn't know how to say 'Thanks".

gewb
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I'll add my two cents...

Ditto on don't let them wash it!

DO have them follow all mechanical preps such as plug tie down holes, remove protective films, check fluids and tire pressure, clean windshield if necessary - anything safety related.

Regards,
GEWB

Mike Phillips
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Sign up for the Detailing 101 Class and you'll learn first hand everything you need to know to take care of the paint on that car plus get to use a lot of different tools and have a lot of fun.

Sign-up for July 9th - Machine Polishing 101 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-saturday-detailing-101/35994-sign-up-july-9th-machine-polishing-101-a.html)

:)

spyder Ned
06-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your two cents. Thanks everyone. I had no idea all the possible pitfalls in receiving a new car. So far what my plan is to wash the car with Dawn soap, Wolfgang claybar the whole car, wash the car again, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and finally, Wolfgang Fuzion Carnuba Wax for the best shine. Does that sound like a good plan?

flyinion
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Theoretically the paint should be in perfect condition from the factory so there shouldn't be any swirls to worry about (I'm guessing on that though). You should not need to clay the car though unless it sat outside unprotected between the factory building and delivery. I would guess that Audi does not do that at least with the R8's and based on your description of the envelope thing. The Wolfgang DGPS and Fuzion definitely sound like a good idea though (make sure to let the DGPS cure for 12 hours before putting the Fuzion on top).

Mike Phillips
06-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Theoretically the paint should be in perfect condition from the factory

Correct.

The problems start at the dealership...

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28401-diso-dealership-installed-swirl-option.html)

:)