PDA

View Full Version : New 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is - White on Black - Need Advice

Joey Link
06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
It's been a few years since I last posted about detailing, back when I was a noob to detailing. Back then I had I purchased a PC 7424, some Lake Country pads, and the Optimum Compound, Polish, and Poli-Seal products. This stuff has lasted and treated me well through the years for whatever vehicle(s) I was driving. However, I just signed the paperwork on a brand new white on black 2011 BMW Z3 sDrive35is, and now I need to step up my car care game.

Considering this car will have new paint which has never been washed, I feel like I have a fresh canvas with which to start and maintain. I still have the PC 7424 and a fair amount of all the products, though they're years old (do detailing products change or expire over time?). I recently detailed our black 1994 Miata and it seemed the products still worked very well, but I have to think there's probably something better out there to really get the white paint to the 'WOW' level. I also picked up a few Griot's Garage Starter Kits ($15 each, too cheap to pass up). While I'm guessing the wash soap, clay, vinyl & rubber dressing, and wheel cleaner are fine (right?), I assume there's something better than the best in show wax. In addition to paint protection I'm also interested in doing what I can to protect the interior.

I plan on washing the car once or twice per week during the summer months, but I really need to develop a routine to keep this looking in tip top shape.

I appreciate any advice you guys have for me :)

http://s2.postimage.org/c7sxglf42/Cosy_Vehicle_Image_CAEO6_SZC.jpg

Gondee
06-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I only dream of having a new car with theoretically no blemishes. I would load it up.
Opti 2.0, Layer that with Paint Sealant, layer that with BOS wax, I would do one of those clear film protectors on the front end, along with some Griots Bug off. Mind you, I haven't ever used Opti but the forums seem to have good things to say about it.
Sealing the Headlights and Rims with it too could be beneficial in the future. Some Griots Window Polish, because water spots are unavoidable for a daily driver. Keeping the Tires protected would be nice, so you can have the wet new look as long as possible. It would also be a good idea to get some good quality Microfibers.
The interior must have UV resistant dressings all around too (I love Griot's interior line) =)

Griot's fan out....

Joey Link
06-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks Gondee.

No other suggestions?

rott3np3anut
06-06-2011, 04:00 PM
First off, congratulations on the new car! It looks really nice.

If you haven't picked it up yet, make sure to tell the dealer NOT to wash/detail/touch your car. They will only put swirls and holograms in it.

I would consider one of the new coatings that Gondee mentioned, like Opti-Coat or CQuartz. They're kind of like sealants, but much more durable (CQuartz is supposed to last 2 years, Opti-coat only comes off if you polish it off). They add UV protection, make it harder for dirt and other contaminants to stick, and even make the car less prone to scratches and swirls. It's like another clear coat. Note that whatever defects are on the car will be sealed under these coatings, so you'll want to polish to remove swirls and scratches. Since it's new, it shouldn't be too bad though.

If you do decide to use one of the coatings, a wax isn't completely necessary. They can be used to amp up the gloss a bit, but the coatings should protect it completely. Also, waxes won't last as long, since the coatings are supposed to keep stuff off of your car. I've heard Wolfgang Fuzion looks good on white, but it's a bit expensive. I haven't tried too many waxes, so I'll let other members chime in on that.

As for the interior, you'll want a good leather conditioner and protector. I've heard good things about Lexol for leather. My car doesn't have leather, so I don't have a lot of experience with leather products.

For the dash and interior trim, there's lot of options. I've had good luck with 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's one of the more popular interior protectants that many AG members use.I've also heard good things about Ultima's Interior Guard, which can be used most interior trim/plastic as well as leather. Both of these are quite durable and provide UV protection.

Hope this helps a bit!

gatoman39
06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Just Detailed the 2011 Alpine White/Black 5 Series. BMW White is rock hard paint.
Tough to get wet look on lighter color cars, I think it turned out pretty well...:) The car has a lot of nooks and crannies that make some of the panels very tricky to work on. PM me if you want specifics about any of the procedures used below.

1. Wash car, but skip rims, we'll do those later...(use car soap or Dawn).
2. Dry using water magnet towel, blot dry, don't rub.
3. Blow seams dry using compressed air, or a metro vac.
4. Wipe car down with Quick Detailer and a MF towel.
5. Mild Clay and use QD as lube.
6. Wipe car down with Quick Detailer or wash again.
7. Prep Car. Tape down all rubber and plastic, emblems, using 3M automotive masking tape.
8. I had a lot of swirls in the paint. I used Meguiars Microfiber correction compound, a 5 inch cutting disc and a Porter cable 7424.
9. Polishing with a Lake Country White foam pad and Mezerna Super Nano Finish.
10. Wipe car down with IPA
11. Wax, I appplied Menzerna Powerlock with a gold foam pad. one thin layer, 45min drying time, wipe off,. Allow to cure overnight
12. Remove Wheels: DIY Tutorial (http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416965)
13. Use Mothers back to black or 303 on all rubber seams and trim pieces using Detailing Sticks.
14. Remove tape.
15. Use QD to go over any spots you missed or tape residue and product dust left behind.
16. Clean Interior DIY Tutorial (http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411365)
17. Adult beverage