PDA

View Full Version : Best $3.50 spent on an OTC

jbgrant
06-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Stopped by autozone this week to pick up a can of A/C refrigerant and noticed ALL (usually it's just some select items) of the eagle 1 products were 2/7$. Did not matter if they were 9.99 or 3.99. I heard the nano car wash was pretty good from a detailing friend so I tried a half gallon and pondered over the isle for about 5 minutes trying to decide what would not amount to a total waste (almost got another bottle of wash). Well, it was between the "all-wheel cleaner" and the 23oz spray nano-wax. Decided on the the spray nanowax with the "6 months of protection" claim.... sure.

The daily driver (not garaged) was in need of a wash and the weather was right so I tried out both products. Two weeks ago she got polished with m205, 2x klasse hgsg and 1x liquid pinnacle sov. The beading was great but some of the initial slickness had faded (washed once last week). I can’t give a proper review given that the car was detailed two weeks ago, but had accumulated a lot of mud and grime from the storms last week (we had tornados in town).

Pressure rinsed the car to remove mud and grit as always. Moved on to the bucket wash with 3 ounces nano wash in 3 gallons of water. This soap is very foamy and very slick. Gave it a good rinse and sheeted nearly all the water off with a free-flowing hose. Unlike other OTC “wash and wax” products I’ve tried, it did not leave any streaking or wax-like residue. It’s not especially good at self-rinsing, but the amount of surfactant in the formula seems perfectly able to handle film and some bonded dirt. It claims it doesn’t strip wax, as far as I can tell this is accurate. Blew out the crevices with the leaf blower and pushed the remaining droplets off the panels. The wash did not replenish the finish slickness, but I never expected it to. Overall very pleased with the value of the wash.

I expected the nano spray wax to be a quick detailer with big claims, but I was entirely wrong. It is definitely a real spray wax and is much more concentrated than I would have predicted. I used one MF for applying it and another for buffing it off. It dries to a durable (but not troublesome) haze in a matter of 1-3 minutes, so it’s definitely a panel by panel product. I applied it in a cross-hatch pattern and found it to spread evenly over the recently sealed+waxed finish. I tried to take it off fairly quickly as my goal with a spray wax it to use very little pressure during removal to avoid any damage from embedded contaminants between details. One-half to one spray is all that is required to cover a panel; I estimated I used about a half-ounce on the whole car. The slickness of the spray-waxed areas was far greater than the recently-waxed panels on the car (not up to just-waxed with sov, but about 70% there). The product is not streaky and smells very good (I think they scented it to smell like carnauba). It did not cloud the polished and protected finish. I avoided getting it on trim although it is not supposed to stain. I believe it is water-based but would appreciate it if somebody can confirm that. I’m not going to compare this product to any other spray waxes as I didn’t apply it to clean paint. I did not wear gloves and can still smell and feel the nanowax on my fingers several hours later and after washing twice with dish soap. Next time I do a real comparison test I will put together a proper review if nobody beats me to it. At 2 for 7 bucks, it’s almost free and my initial impressions are quite good.

BillyJack
06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
It's a favorite among a lot of the street rodders I know because it's so quick and easy. I used it for years as a quickie wax, since it didn't streak on the sensitive paint of my Camino, but I discovered Optimum products and OCW just blows it away. I do still use both the Nano and Eagle's Gel Wax over a dressing on my pebble-grain plastics. In that role, it lasts a long, long time.

Bill

Darren
06-14-2011, 08:15 PM
New to the forum and had read this post. I decided to try the Eagle 1 wash and really liked it. I think I like it more than the Meguiar's Ultimate I had been using. It makes great foam in my foam sprayer! I've pretty much used Mother's and Meguiars OTC products up to now but found this site and forum when ordering Aerospace 303 protectant by the gallon.

FUNX650
06-15-2011, 10:41 AM
In some circles the statement: Best...and OTC would be considered an oxymoron. :D

J/K....and glad your experience with, and your money spent on your choice of Eagle 1 products was fruitful. Thanks for sharing. :)

Bob

jbgrant
06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Their marketing plan is working, the other day I grabbed their other wash (the yellow one) that essentially has a rinse-aid in it and no wax. It does work quite well; very slick, but not nearly as foamy as the wash+wax. Its self rinsing is pretty darn good (I buy ONR by the gallon). For the other half of the $7 I picked up their wax as you dry (wet finish) wax but have not tried it. After using the Eagle nano spray wax on a few other vehicles and a boat, I would give it a C for overall performance (decent), but an A for value given it's half price.

I needed to get my 14$ can of A/C refrigerant up to 20$ for the autozone card to save 20%; effectively, I paid $1.50 for each Eagle product I don't need. This is, however, a great time to stock up on Eagle One metal polishing wadding.

Capa1970
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
I picked up two bottles of their tire and wheel cleaner for $7. A fantastic deal, especially considering the fact that the best wheel cleaner is the one that is agitated.